Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > don ´t follow the glamour..    

don ´t follow the glamour..

crazy_turtle
United Kingdom

Its kind of obvious the more attractive a worksheet is the more it will be downloaded. There are so many worksheets on here that it is impossible to read through every single worksheet.

To be a little allegorical,  even though the story of Santa Claus is a wonderful story of sharing and giving to people less fortunate, it was the Coca Cola company who made him famous by making him more colorful (bright red as opposed to dark green) and attractive to kids (jolly and fat with a funny suit). 

28 Aug 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Good point, crazy turtle. I just found out in recent contributions that a very good language game (for speaking and writing and practising a language point) has only few downloads. I guess the member should have advertised a little bit better ... or used more colours ... to attract the ´buyers �.

I ´m curious as to how much money people who take colourful ws (with very little of white in them) give for the ink and how many copies they make of them ... Also, do the students just put them in the books/bags and take home and take out and put them in the drawers and leave them there to oblivion? Is it worth all the ink and hard work then? Shouldn ´t we just be the facilitators and monitors while the students are doing all the hard work??

28 Aug 2009     

miss K.
Ukraine

Ivona, I had sort of the same question about the color ws. Yes, they are attractiive but expencive to make here. When I make a color ws or just plain b & w I ask students to write in lightly with a pencil and then erase it. Usualy I use heavey paper for the that kind of ws. Sometimes I let them take it home to finish but thhey always have to bring it back. If it ´s a board game or flash card I like to print it in color.

28 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear colleagues!

I really don ´t understand why we are making such a do about this issue.
I always thought that this site is free. People are free to upload whatever type of WS they want as long as they respect the rules everyone can see when he/she is about to click the "Submit/Send" button. As they are free to download whatever WS they want or like. No one has the right to judge what is suitable or not for the others. And no one has the right to impose to people what they should or should not upload/download.
Moreover, almost all members say, when asked, it is not a matter of points collecting in this site but of sharing. So, if this is the case why do we bother whether a WS is downloaded more or less than another.
We are all supposed to be teachers here and know what we are uploading and/or downloading.

However, I would have understood very well such a long thread if the question were "Is  the use of colours and pictures useful on WS? And How?"

My own opinion, anyway.

Regards everybody.

28 Aug 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Hiya goodnesses! I knew you ´d pop in at some point and give your two ... err ... what ´s the currency in Algeria?

We were actually discussing your Qn in blue and bold and people expressed their opinions. Mouna mch raised the same Qn but less directly. And it ´s not about the points .. at least not with me. My excitement with the points comes from the fact that if 60 people take the ws (in my case, activity), then at least (err ... 60 .. times ... 10 ss on average ... errr ..) 600 students will benefit from it because i know mine did. My disappointment with very few points comes from the fact that if only 2-3 people take the ws (activity), then only 20-30 students will experience a different kind of learning where both E-ffective (teaching them sth) and A-ffective (having fun) are both satisfied.

Btw, how come you happen to disagree with most of the members around here?? Wink

28 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

I don ´t disagree. I just say that discussing the use and utility of colours and pictures is something and saying (being disappointed; this is what we understand from Mouna ´s post though maybe she did not mean it) that some WS are more downloaded than other because of the use of colours and pictures is something different.

People who use colors and pictures just for the sake of selling their WS (decoration) are just condemning themselves at a long term. Once I download a well presented WS and discover that the content is useless, I will never download this member ´s WS afterwards. Like when I come across a WS with colors or picture that go with the content (illustration) and find it also contains very intersting ideas and activities, I automatically bookmark it ´s owner in order to check his new contributuions regularly. There are also a lot of WS of the same type as the latter which I will never download because they are not suitable to my pupils needs.

I like your points/students connection. I admit it is what I think too.

PS: The Algerian currency is the "Dinar".

28 Aug 2009     

Zora
Canada

I ´d also like to interject something about coloured worksheets. A lot of them are not modifiable and THAT is a huge problem. Especially if I find errors in them. This means that I have just downloaded something, often printed it and saw that it had a few whoppers that I couldn ´t correct. Confused

I know all of us are just human, and to err is human (I know that I have had mistakes in my work and had to re-upload things.) so to me, why make things so colourful and image heavy but unmodifiable? Is it worth the extra images to make it so? Make it that others can ´t adapt it or correct things on it? I dunno, but obviously it seems that way...

In fact, I can name a few members that their work is very colourful and nice looking but because I can ´t modify it, I will not download it any more. I have gone to class, one too many times with errors that my students have pointed out to me and now, it ´s as goodnesses has said. I will not download from those people again not matter how "wonderful" their work is.

28 Aug 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Maybe Mouna mch was just being natural and spontaneous. Perhaps being academic and formal is not in keeping with her nature. Wink

28 Aug 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Talking about colour. Here is a link that you may find very touching. It ´s a little boy ´s (born blind) words as he speaks to his Dad.Hope you like it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNJEJTrVZdY    Hug

28 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3