Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Adult classes duration: 3 hours    

Adult classes duration: 3 hours

readingaol
Portugal

Adult classes duration: 3 hours

I will start a new course for adults in October. I �ve already taught adults, but I never had classes with a 3 hour duration. I fear they will get bored.
Does anyone have any adeas about fun activities for adults?
I �m also afraid of introducing too many topics in one class.
Any tips?
Thanks!

8 Sep 2009      

borna
Croatia

Don �t worry about the duration, adult learners can handle it. You can give them some games or crosswords or something like that in between the exercises or topics you are covering.
There �s nothing wrong in saying "Let �s all relax for a minute or two before going to the next topic today...), and just letting them sit back and talk to eachother for a moment or two.
After that, they will be fresh and ready to cooperate again.

8 Sep 2009     

marialopes
Portugal

Yes, don �t worry. I �m teaching adults as well, 3h30m!, but time really flies with adult learners. This site is wonderful for these cases, because you can use many types of ws in your classes (grammar and vocab exercises, games, pair work...). But don �t forget: make them speak English a lot, specially through pair/group work, because they come out of the classes with a sense of satisfaction and of having learned something useful.
You can also introduce some activities based on cultural aspects: a tea party; Halloween/Christmas decorations and traditions; drawing, cutting and hanging clothes on a line, English-speaking countries projects... for which I �ve used some wonderful material I �ve downloaded from Esl printables.
And don �t be afraid to use YL material, because they enjoy it, too.

8 Sep 2009     

Ahlam
Bahrain

Salam

We have the same issue here for remedial classes 3hrs duration. We did this:

1. Put a timed plan in a table with dates for the whole period of course and include: tasks and time and worksheets u wd need.

2. Include activities like: watching films, presentation by students for simple dishes to be prepared at class.

3. we also encourage Sts to organise school cluster groups to serve at the school like they do thing aimed at decorating school, raising awarness by designing posters about any issue....etc and such things. some of our sts even did workshops for their peers.

Hope it helps
Best of Luck
Ahlam

8 Sep 2009     

readingaol
Portugal

I haven�t met my students yet.
I think ages will vary.
And I really do think 3 hours is a lot.
They will have 9 hours of English per week.
Adults are usually shy and it is hard to make them speak.

8 Sep 2009     

arlissa
United States

I teach an intermediate 3 hour/night course that meets 4 days a week for adults. Not all the adults come every night, but many do. They don �t get bored because we have so many activities and exercises. Here �s my usual routine:

30 minutes Rosetta Stone CD program
5 minutes break
20 minutes introducing new vocabulary, practicing pronunciation of new vocab, and examples
15-20 minutes reading a text aloud (students read 1-2 sentences each, then teacher reads entire text again)
15-20 minutes comprehension questions from text (multiple choice, fill-in-blank, etc.)
15 minutes discussion (first discuss questions with partner, then whole class discusses)
     If extra time here, give a crossword or word search puzzle related to vocab
15 minutes break
35 minutes grammar lesson and exercises OR picture dictionary work related to previous text
5 minutes break
15-20 minutes game, listening activity, or video

8 Sep 2009     

Anapereira
Portugal

Hi, there.

I had two different groups of adult learners last school year and they all loved the experience. As you get to know your students you will understand how much they can handle and how fast you can go. My first group was amazing. We were supposed to have a break of 20 minutes in the middle of the lesson but that never really happened because they were so motivated to learn and asked questions all the time. As someone said before, time flies!
My second group was a bit different because some of the students were a bit shy and some of them had concentration problems after 60-90 minutes  so it was "mandatory" to make a break!
Anyway, I used a lot of material from Eslprintables with both classes and they loved it! So feel free to use anythink you find useful here. It will work! Believe me!

8 Sep 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I teach English Immersion classes and the classes last 6 hours each day.
My class varies from 20 year olds to people in their 50 �s.  I also find like Silke,  that the older ones find it harder to concentrate for long periods of time. 

I plan my lessons with a lot of activities in between.  I teach them grammar and I play grammar games when I see that their concentration begins to wear off. I give them a lot of activities which are fun, but we learn at the same time.  We learn through music, games and other activities which they enjoy.  I find the jeopardy game that is available on this site is great because you can make your own questions, for grammar, vocabulary etc, and they are not even aware they are learning because they are having so much fun. 

If you plan your lessons with a variety of different techniques the time will not seem long at all.

8 Sep 2009     

abbashusain
India

what is the difference between ......type of      and      kind of....

8 Sep 2009     

eslgalaxy
China

Design your own games from our ESL games templates. Play taboos, Jeopardy and card games here: http://www.eslgamesworld.com/members/games/templates/index.html
Don �t worry there are tutorials to help you 

8 Sep 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hi, I wouldn �t worry at all, they are more likely to get tired than bored so it �s important to have a coffee break or a snack break for 10 minutes or so. Do not worry, if you use a lot of activities and do not get stuck on one the same topic or same talk most of the lesson �s time, they will enjoy and time will fly, just make sure to  vary your lessons, add extra materials and when you need to switch to another topic, make sure to make a smooth transition by using a lead-in to this or that topic. good luck!

8 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >