Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Useful worksheets but not for 6 years old....     

Useful worksheets but not for 6 years old....

Samantha.esl
Italy

Useful worksheets but not for 6 years old....

Hi there, dear fellows!

I don �t want to start a problematic thread here, but I�ve just seen a worksheet which says it�s for elementary level but the vocabulary and grammar spot are not for elementary level but for intermediate. (Transitive and intransitive verbs, AND ---- relative pronouns from the same member). I feel they are in the wrong list, I mean not for elementary but for intermediate +! But the cliparts are for 6 year old children�.

In fact, I�ve seen this several times and also these worksheets are full of childish clip arts which do not have any relation with the grammar being exposed nor the level.  I could not give that to my adult students. (even though some would say, adults and teenagers sometimes like cute pics, but I find teddy bears and kitty too much for adults males and also females.. don�t you think?) Is this some kind of trend to upload worksheets in this fashion? Because they get loads of downloads!...

I know some of you might think I�m just jealous� Sorry to disappoint you but I�m not..believe me, I�m not .. I�m not either in a competition for points or anything� I just contribute to give back a little bit of what I take from here (because I only download 2 -3 a day or every other day). 

I just think some people over do it with so many childish clip arts! And I�ve downloaded worksheets for, supposedly, elementary level and they are not suitable for that level, So, as a member of this community and having the right to say and give my opinion, I think some people should pay attention and put worksheets according to their right level�.and maybe use cliparts appropriately Geek

13 Sep 2009      

Missy
Canada

I have that problem too. If I like the worksheet I just cut off the teddy bears or kittens. If I can �t do it on the computer I get my scissors out.  I teach many foreign trained professionals and i don �t want to insult anyone so I must keep my love  of bunnies and puppies out of the classroom.

13 Sep 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I agree, though I have sts who sometimes even like that for a change. The main point is that you really have a huge choice here, so you can avoid the ones you don �t like, the previews to check, and most wss are editable so you can remove the pics or colours.
What I mean to say is - people really try to do their best, the way that they think is good, and it �s up to you to choose and decide what to use. I personally like the variety - if I need a b&w ws, there are always enough to chose from, and if I need colourful stuff, I choose that. I guess it �s a matter of choice. (I know (learned when I started uploading my wss) that colours are attractive and catch the eye faster than b&w wss, but I �ve had great advice from some people to use a colourful cover, detailed description and then b&w wss within, and I find that very useful, for myself, too, because it keeps my wss in my own PC very recognizable.)
There are so many of us here, so many different characters, cultures, teaching possibilities... Just make the most of it!
PS: As for the markings elementary, intermediate and advanced, I´ve learned not to base my judgment on that, because different people have different opinions on what a level is, some link it to age, some to knowledge level, and sometimes they´re confused, because preschool elementary and adult elementary is quite different. Sometimes I even think people click by mistake or not to leave that field empty. That´s why previews are a great tool.

13 Sep 2009     

Ahlam
Bahrain

Salam

Ohlala_esl, you have a very good point here. However, regarding the level of ws in general sometimes it �s hard to decide specially if a teacher is dealing with false beginners high school students like mine. The content of a ws for such EFL learners come out to be like the one u refered to in the post: the language item and content and even the format is a mixture of elementary to intermediate.
About the clipart, "too much is too little" we say but i think it all depends on the designer and his/her actual target learners to whom he/she had produced the ws.

Take care
Ahlam

13 Sep 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

I agree with Anita regarding to choices of clipart/layout and influence of different cultures and personalities. Nevertheless, I sometimes wished some clipart could be easily removed without altering the layout. But sometimes, it didn-t work.

What I-m absoultely for, is the correct labelling of the age and level corresponding to  the ws. It would help any search for  the necessary  material that now-a-days is very difficult

13 Sep 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Well, I know people, culture and learners are all different, but I don �t think THAT much different as to work with teddy bears and kittys all over the grammar page. I just gave my opinion because I don �t really understand why people  decorate worksheets in such a childish fashion. The letters and phrases can be hardly read.
 If I was to take that to the classroom I would have to ..first, make the words bigger, and erase all those cliparts.. and make it a more printer friendly colour. Which actually leaves a very poor grammar worksheet.. because if you pay attention to these kind of worksheets...it´s all the design that gets the downloads... but the content is very poor when you take all the teddy bears and kittys and Sarah Kay... ballooms... Etc eTc.. It´s LESS than a page... When other people upload 6 to 7 pages long worksheets and get fewer downloads!

What´s going on Teachers?? I wonder... What is being appreciated... good grammar or just cluster of cute clip-arts /pictures? :)

I also know that the "designer" Ermm of those worksheets don �t care a thing about this... And will continue to do so, because it �s "eyecathing" and people donwload it... and they get loads of points and probably getting some more points through this ad! LOL

13 Sep 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Nobody is forcing you to download those printables. If they get so many downloads, they must be useful for other people.  Some of those designers do not need the points anymore. They don �t "decorate" their worksheets to have a lot of downloads and they do care about the quality of their work. Furthermore,I don �t agree with your comment about being left with a very poor grammar worksheet if you remove the cliparts.

There are hundreds of printables to download everyday, just be grateful for the variety and pick what you need.

13 Sep 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Of course I download what I need! I just find the amount of cliparts not necesary and not matching the grammar level.

Don �t take offense Manonski, I �m not being forced to do anything...

And I do think they do decorate them to make them eyecatching and without keeping relation to the topic. ... but that �s my opinion against yours. Cool

13 Sep 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I do take offense when you put everyone in the same basket. You state "I also know that the "designer" Ermm of those worksheets don �t care a thing about this".

For me not caring is:
- stealing from another member
- scanning from a book and uploading here
- uploading printables found on another website
- complaining about being forced to upload something to be able to download

Seriously, if they did not care, do you think they �d spend so much time on their printable? Look at how many points they have? Do you really think they do this to have the maximum of points. Some members here have so many points they could download all the archives and have points left.

I get they don �t suit your needs but there are other printables that don �t have the cliparts you don �t like.

13 Sep 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Ohhh!

I really think you are over reacting and not seeing my point really! And defending something I was not attacking..

13 Sep 2009     

monropa
Spain

Ohlala esl, I have the same feeling. My students are teenagers and often  the grammar /vocabulary level doesn�t match with the worksheet layout.I have also tried to remove some of the cliparts but it hasn�t worked.
 I must admit that sometimes I find it difficult to tell if my worksheets are for -elementary-intermediate-advanced level, because as I�ve said before, my students are teenagers and they don�t have a lot to do with younger students.

13 Sep 2009     

1    2    3    Next >