Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Celebrations    

Celebrations

joy2bill
Australia

Celebrations

I wonder if we are just going too far with our condemnation of celebrations.

I agree completely that birthday greetings should be kept to the cafe as they are messages for a single individual. Often many of us have no idea who the recipient is. (and this can make people feel left out).

However the acknowledgement of a celebration for a whole nation or religion is quite a different matter. I like to know about Teachers � Day (we don �t have it in Australia) or Fathers � Day or Eid ul Fitr or Yom Kippur or Chinese New Year. It helps us to understand each other if we remember the special times. I come from a family of mixed races and religions and so we try to practice tolerance and appreciation for all. After all we are all human.

I cannot see how it clogs up the message board as it is usually only one message and only the current message is shown.

I guess what I �m saying is no to personal messages and yes to sharing national and religious occasions.
HugHugHug
Joy

21 Sep 2009      

eng789
Israel

I �m in. Thumbs Up

21 Sep 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Thumbs Up

21 Sep 2009     

eng789
Israel

The point is that we should know that there is such a thing as "spring day" celebrated somewhere at a different time of year.    Why would is it any different than talking about Halloween or Teacher �s day?  I sometimes learn more from your greetings than I do from discussions about grammar use - or should we listen to native speakers or go by the rules.

By the way,  I �m going to pout a bit  now,  I posted a question about poems and songs -
which is a an acceptable esl topic and I am being ignored.  Hum hum.

21 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

Jeez, and I posted a question about needing info about a member and I was ignored... Could THIS maybe be what Ivona was complaining about???  

21 Sep 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

I agree with you. I �ll learn too much from what people post. Besides, it helps me to teach because I deal with multicultural books and in them, there are people from all over the world. And they talk about their lifestyles which sometimes we don �t undestand

But I don �t see anything against birthday wishes on the main froum. I feel that if many people in this site engage on those posts, it �s because they like the idea. And as Olinda has just said, this site is no one �s  in particular. Even Victor, it �s owner has told that he is not here to impose rules but that the rules should be agreed among us. Since I lsigned up, I �ve seen the discussion of many of the rules that are written down at present. Even some of already existing functions are due to the request of a great number of members. Besides, Even Victor is not against them.

Your idea, bill2joy, is great but it is making the supposed rule flexible. (I say that this rule is "supposed" just because it �s not written anywhere, not because I want to disregard Victor �s post!)   If we are going to strickly follow the rules, which have been the core of a great controversy lately, no of these posts should be allowed, even those posts complaining about anything.

Nevertheless, I would rather be flexible than too strick as far as I don �t hurt anybody �s feelings

21 Sep 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

You are right Lady bird. Zora�s post was on the caf�. but sorry Zora, I don´t know what proyect you are talking about.

Going back to what you have said, ladybird, it would be interesting to know how people celebrate each day. I used to save some of the posts talking about different life styles in different countries but I can �t do it now because those threads are on the caf� and I miss most of them

REgarding Spring, it would have been nice to share the way different people celebrate it. What �s more, I posted something about my country but inmediately I moved it to the caf� because I knew that some people could begin to complain

21 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

I know Silke... my point being that. It was ignored too. I didn �t want to plug the forum with a question so I went to the Caf� and it was ignored there. I was adding a slightly sarcastic nuance to this fact that in the Caf� questions often get ignored or lost in all the pictures and I wanted to see it anybody knew what I was talking about...

Btw... I can �t see why ONE thread per day can �t be used for congratulating. The problem was when EVERYONE felt the need to start up a thread. I think two or three people should be appointed to post celebrations like we are doing with birthdays.  

21 Sep 2009     

eng789
Israel

To be honest,  I think what  is going on at the cafe is great but I don �t have the energy to keep up with them.  I take a peak once in a while but I don �t stay because I just don �t have the time to look for wonderful pics to upload.

I �m really happy that they have their space. 

21 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

Just feeling a bit sneaky today Silke! LOL

And Silvie wants everyday to be her birthday!! THAT �s why she hasn �t told anyone the true date of her birth! Wink

21 Sep 2009     

silvanija
Lithuania

Hello, Sylvie,
 and it will be celebrated Wink
BTW, I like forum as it is - with all celebrations. It�s lively and fun to read.

Silvana

21 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >