Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Is e-mail etiquette different in your country?    

Is e-mail etiquette different in your country?

douglas
United States

Is e-mail etiquette different in your country?

I was discussing an article about a woman being "sacked" for writing "confrontational e-mails and I was surpirised to find out that many of my students didn �t know that writing e-mails in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS is considered as shouting and rude by most English speaking people.

I researched a little and have found that it is not necessary considered that way in other languages.  That got me to wondering if e-mail etiquette is significantly different in different languages or countries. 

I would love to hear from others about any differences (or parallels) in their countries or languages

24 Sep 2009      

Silvy_E
United States

Oh Douglas that �s exactly what I was going to say ... e-mail etiquette  ...

S

24 Sep 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

It is the same everywhere.

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/

I have co-moderated a Spanish forum on  Literature  for over 8 years now and etiquette is very important.

24 Sep 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

OMG! Capitals are yelling? Really? Whoops, i use them instead of underlining for emphasis. Apologies!!!!!!!Embarrassed

24 Sep 2009     

mariannina
Italy

It �s the same in Italy! We call netiquette what is considered not very polite.
Ciao

24 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

Goodness, I HATE it when people SHOUT at me! LOL Yes, Douglas... e-mail etiquette is the same everywhere. I just think some people don �t care or aren �t aware of the "rules".

I find that quite a few Spanish (speaking) people - not here of course - but on other forums use capitals quite often and I think that it �s due to the fact that (this rule keeps changing, mind you...) you don �t have to accent words that are capitalized... Dunno for sure, but I go on quite a bit of forums - I like F1 and the amount of SHOUTING going on makes me want to whack their fingers!! lol Wink 

24 Sep 2009     

cecio_13
Argentina

I always use capital letters for emphasis Wacko

24 Sep 2009     

Portugal

Douglas, your post could take years to respond.SmileLOL

I think that one of the most significant problems with on-line messages, such as email and foruns is that this kind of messages stands somewhere between epistolographic and oral communication. This only feature tends to hybridize the style and  be a source of many misunderstandings and if one wants to argue, he/she will argue for any reason, as you may have noticed, not far from the point we are now.

I �ll give you one example: an online master �s student of mine, about 45 years of age, was receiving emails from another student, who was sending her pics of himself  shirtless, inviting her to work in the same group. Her husband was not very happy about her being taking a masters; in fact, I guess he was somehow jealous, for they were both Philosophy teachers and she was ahead of him in the career.

He was ckecking on her emails, she was getting a lot, which is only normal, when someone is taking a course online and made her quit the master. I must say this was a shock for me, �cause I hate loosing ss, however old they are, and no man would ever make me give up my professional goals by force (I had one who made me stay in Portugal instead of joining my family in the States some 38 years ago, but he made it gently...)

As far as netiquette is concerned, the rules are very similar everywhere, so is the writing in capital letters, bold, big letters, specially in red. It doesn �t mean however, that writing in capital letters, bold, whatever, in the middle of a text should be considered impolite. Big capital letters mean shouting, whatever one shouts, it could be:

I LOVE YOU!

which would mean that someone is shouting his/her love to the world, in case the other guy is death or something and would be able to get the message cosmically...

For instance, Chinese students tend to be very formal, or more formal than American students in an on-line course and from now on I could mostly provide you with some more references, which, I think, you wouldn �t be much insterested in.
Besides, the biggest problems of online communication are due, mostly, to intercultural issues and computer anxiety.

Have a nice day, everybody. I �m quitting office in a few minutes, so I won �t be back again today.
See you around, Douglas and all.

24 Sep 2009     

ishu
Turkey

I suppose it �s the same in Turkey as well; it �s just not everybody is aware of net etiquettes. We should just keep in mind that some people who write in all capital letters may not be trying to shout at other people, but simply don �t know about what it might mean. So please no whacking fingers!! :)

24 Sep 2009     

Portugal

Clap , ishu!

(LOLEmbarrassed)

24 Sep 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

nikadixon

Netiquette does not only have to do with how you write but also with behaviour.

This is as "good manners".
You are on the net, you should know them. Then it is up to you to use them or not/when...

We all know that many people on the internet do not know how to write well. They do their best to adapt to times...so, as I have said so many times...
Tolerance
is the key.

24 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >