Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Free for all    

Free for all

mookie
United States

Free for all

there is so much on this site that many people cannot access because they have never contributed.

why not open the site up for everyone?

even if no additional lessons were uploaded the site would still be invaluable because of the current content.

the current model forces �new � teachers to make some basic lesson and pray someone will download it. only then can they download the lesson/worksheet they want.

anyone agree?

27 Oct 2009      

zailda
Brazil

Since I joined this site I have improved my wss and now they have nothing in common to the ones I used to produce in the past. This site is a real "school" on preparing and using wss with students. The wss here represent the work of thousands of teachers and  thousands more to come.

The principle here is "give and you will receive tons in return".

Once an ESL Printable member, your work and skills will change for good.

This
is priceless. The wss are mere detail.

27 Oct 2009     

mookie
United States

The principle here is "give and you will receive tons in return".

I agree. But what about the new teacher? Someone that has no �bag of tricks. � They are struggling to survive in the classroom. They seek out help and find this site. Sadly, they aren �t allowed to use any of the materials because they have nothing to share.

When it comes to sharing, why must the �new � member be the first to share?

At the very least, allow each contributor to remove the share first restriction.

27 Oct 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Zailda is right. I have also learned a great deal on how to prepare worksheets from members on the site.  Through reading the posts and asking for help I have learned to produce my own worksheets, which have improved a great deal.  I have also learned where to obtain clipart and how to reduce the size of worksheets.  On this site you not only learn things pertaining to English but much more.  This site is about sharing and that is what we do, in order to get, you have to give.

27 Oct 2009     

zailda
Brazil

There are tons of sites giving the fish, here we learn how to fish ourselves.

27 Oct 2009     

flaviatl
Argentina

Well said Zailda!

27 Oct 2009     

SaraMariam
United States

Hmm since I am one of those new teachers I would like to share my view on this topic if it �s ok :). When I first saw the site I was really too amazed about all the great worksheets and how other teachers create them. I would have wished to download all of them at once lol. And I was a bit disappointed at first when I couldnt download them at all. For me it wasnt really a matter of needing worksheets so desperately. Let � be honest. For the people that really are dying to get worksheets for their class tomorrow; they can find it anywhere on the internet and create their own; even if not as pretty as ones here.
What this restriction made for me personally was that I thought about my own worksheets and how I can improve them myself. If I just copy and paste all the time from other people I �m not learning anything and it is not always said that the exact ws I need will be found even on this wonderful site/ So one should always be ready to be able to create great ws on their own. Before I never really thought about it this way; but now I �m eager to learn how to do better and I get happy when I see some results. I �m still far from good (faaar); but I �m improving I hope lol. 

But what I would have wished for at the beginning is that as somebody who is willing to learn how to create nice ws, it would have been great to have free acess to the tutorials that some colleagues were so nice to write for us (thanks a million by the way :)!). Maybe it would be an idea that new teachers get a certain amount of free downloads; for example 5; with which they could download the "first aid package":p I dont know if I explained correctly what i wanted to say. It �s 3am here and I �m a bit sleepy :).
Anyways; I do agree with both opinions. The one of Dave and the one Zailda. Maybe there can be a middle way for both views :) i really need to find my bed now (saying that for hours already, but just doesnt work somehow :p) and wish you all a good night or great day - depending on where you are :)

Hugs
Sara

27 Oct 2009     

Mishuna
Argentina

Why people keep insisting on changing this site??
I �ve been here for almost two years and I don �t understand why everyone that can �t (or don �t want to) make the effort to respect and follow the rules of this site wants to change it. All of us started from cero points and we �ve learnt how to improve our work as teachers and, as Zailda �s sais, designing WS.
There are tons of websites where we can download stuffs for free...if you like this one it �s because we �ve learnt how to make these wonderful contributions from each other. Every one is willing to help all the time! You just have to live and enjoy this wonderful process.
I �m sorry dave but I �n not referring to you.
It �s just that I �ve seen posts like this one and they happen to be from people who are pretty new and don �t want to make their own worksheets.
Have a great week!

27 Oct 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

I think Zailda said it all and she explained really well what this site is about.
I would only add that this site is very original and unique. I have also learnt a lot since I joined.
I think there are plenty of sites where you can download printables ready to take to class.. So why expect this one to be one more on the list?
I like this site because it inspires you & you can explore your cretivity, you and if you have a little time you become an �author � of your students homework, games, activities, readings,,... . etc etc

cheerz!

Ps: Unfortunatelly, there are many marvelous authors and generous contributos of this site whose delicious worksheets keep being stolen. And since this site fosters originality, and authorship, it´s not fair to meet members who only want to take, take and take and make other´s hard works appear as their own.

27 Oct 2009     

zailda
Brazil

@SaraaMariam
We have already thought about free downloads for tutorials or some points for new members to start with, but at last we concluded that if a person really wants a wss it �ll be a good motivation to start preparing his work to post here. Since you get started,  you want to improve, you �ll find some role models, and... you get addicted.

I agree with you, we all had a hard beginning but we learned from each other and besides the wss, this is a great community based on mutual respect and help.

Hope you find your way to improve your work and if you need something, just ask.

27 Oct 2009     

SaraMariam
United States

I agree with you all completely; since this is what I experienced myself here is that really you are growing and learning that you can do more than you thought. Also I think when you are really dedicated and serious about sharing you find the most amazing people. At least this is what happened to me. I found really lovely colleagues, very sweet, very helpful, very talented and some really amazing people where I learned a life lesson from really. You dont get all that by just merely copy and paste some worksheets.
About the free downloads; I just thought about the tutorials to be honest; not about worksheets themselves since that would change the idea of the entire site :)
Mind you; you are right too. To get the tutorials I sat down an entire night to work on one single worksheet lol. It makes you put some effort in the things you really want. And people that are not serious about all this would not do so much effort. I guess if it would change to the degree free downloads for everybody etc; the quality of the community would not be the same as it is now. I got to know some really amazing people that became  dear to me that I would have never met in any other way. So even if at the beginning I was a bit disappointed that i cant download; I now - after learning everything and contributing - understood what all the effort is for and what it actualy is worth. Just like I said the tutorials would have been nice since me -> noooo idea how to work with all that nice tools lol. So it would be a good start. On the other hand; I managed it also without any free points; so others can do it as well :)

Hugs Sara

PS Still not in bed lol ahhh how can I get up at 7 - no idea. 

27 Oct 2009     

1    2    3    Next >