Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What silly mistakes have you made in a class?    

What silly mistakes have you made in a class?

Zora
Canada

I do the same thing as you liberty!

Many times I �ll be holding the flashcard and going "How do you say, for example, car in English"? LOL  My students just laugh when I do that and unfortunately (or not.. the kids seem to get a kick out of it!!) it happens way too often! lol

I think it �s because we are bilingual and sometimes you don �t even know what language you are speaking!

30 Oct 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Once I wanted my students to get in line. They were very talkative that day so I raised my voice and instead of saying "Go get in line", I said "Go take a bath". I still wonder why I said that. Anyway.. they all burst out laughing at me.

30 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

One of my favorite films is Monsters Inc.
It �s an animated film by Pixar, so, of course, there are no
bloopers - but for fun, they added bloopers at the end of the film as if it were a real film with live actors!!

When telling the little girl at the end to go into her bedroom, Billy Crystal �s
figure says:
Go on, go on and throw up.
of course he was meant to say - Go on, go on and grow up!!

30 Oct 2009     

eng789
Israel

Liberty and Zora, I�m in the same boat.  Hebrew has picked up a lot of English words, I often get caught saying how do you say ..... in English.  

In Hebrew,  verbs change according male and female and to make things worse,  a lot of first names are unisex.  Thinking a girl was a boy,  I addressed her as such.  I realized my mistake when the other kids started teasing her.  It took a lot of talking to get her to forgive me.  I felt terrible.  12-15 year olds are especially sensitive. 

30 Oct 2009     

winky2
United Kingdom

I love your stories ;)

So here it goes mine (a fresh one, from today �s class). I was to ask one of the students (Piotr) what "cushion" means. And out of the sudden I adressed him: Pietruszka, tell me ... All students burst out laughing and I didn �t even notice.
(cushion is "poduszka" in Polish and "pietruszka" means parsley). I hope you understand :) 

30 Oct 2009     

priorita
Ukraine

winky2, I understand, because in Russian these words are almost the same. When I studied in Germany one of my neighbours in hostel was a Polish guy. when we were out of german or english words, he spoke Polish, and I - Russian and Ukrainian. It was so funny because some words have absolutely opposite meaning but sound in the same way. several times i was even embarrassed...

30 Oct 2009     

Saskush
Mexico

Hi, by reading your mistakes I feel awful since most of they are related to words... I think mine was really bad. I had this 20 kids class and there was a boy who I always named "Andres" and he answered whenever I asked him something. When I was grading the exams I read "Hector" and I asked aloud, "Who is Hector? I don �t know anyone name Hector in this class" So everyone started to laugh while he said, "I �m Hector, but you always call me Andres". I was so embarrassed and to tell you the truth I couldn �t stop laughing by my mistake that I had to step out and relax... I still feel ashamed and now I learn all the names the first class.

30 Oct 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Julianbr - that �s just brilliant! I was telling my husband about your story and could barely stop laughing to tell it.

Here �s another story but it wasn �t in the classroom. A friend was in Sweden with colleagues. They �d just watched a band play and the lead singer was this gorgeous girl. After they stopped playing one of his colleagues in an attempt to start up a conversation with the girl asked her "Are you finished? " (he meant: finished playing) She turned round and said "No, I �m Swedish". And that was that!!!  Should have studied his present perfect better!

Oh, and one day one of my students told me they were "constipated". I thought mm, thanks for sharing but that �s just a bit too information for me.

Turned out "estoy constipado" means I have a cold in Spanish!

30 Oct 2009     

vickyvar
Greece

Hi!
I read all your stories and I �m afraid I have a really embarrassing one. Years ago I taught a class in which there was a boy with only one hand (he had an accident). So, I was asking questions and he was supposed to say something like "I wash my hands". Instead he said "I wash my hand". I immediately tried to correct him - without thinking at all - People have two hands... You can imagine how we both felt. Of course I apologised and tried to explain to him that I responded without thinking and that I had told him what I would have said to any other pupil. I was still an inexperienced teacher - and very young back then, but when I remember it I always feel awful.

30 Oct 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Oh, Vicky, I can just imagine how you feel... when we have those bad experiences, it hurts just remembering them. I hate it when I make a similar mistake with kids when we talk about their families and it turns out they come from a broken home, really broken, or their father died or sth, so I �m really extra careful with that, too. But your heart is in the right place and I guess kids feel that more than words.
Btw, people, I love these bilingual mistakes - they can be made into a great classroom activity, too. Saskush, the names thing happened to me this autumn - I have 2 new sts in my class who look almost like twins, but aren �t related at all, and I keep mixing their names up, and it �s been about a month and a half, and I did it again yesterday, but they only laughed and said �We can forgive you anything!!! � (not sure their parents would, though)

30 Oct 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >