Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What silly mistakes have you made in a class?    

What silly mistakes have you made in a class?

banska bystrica
Slovakia

helo, this was a good idea, to share our funny mistakes!

I won �t write about my common mistakes or hesitations during classes, as they sometimes happen to everyone, but I want to share my most unexplainable blunder I �ve made since I �ve started teaching, which is not so long - only two years, but I still hope that this kind of mistake will never happen again Embarrassed
It was the last lesson before Christmas, so you can imagine the atmospehere ... I was teaching teenagers, who were just going to graduate. We were discussing English Christmas vocab and I played them a song by Eagles - Come home for Christmas, when they asked me, what a Christmas carol means. I must have been very hungry, because I don �t know why, but I told them it was a kind of fish  - carp. (just to get the idea, in slovakia we eat fish, especially carps at christmas). Of course, everybody wrote this translation down and they learnt it. I realized this just as I got home and for the whole Christmas holiday (which took about three weeks) I was thinking of a proper way of coming back to this word in the very first class in the new year and explaining to the students that a christmas carol is not fish but a kind of song. I was nervous and embarrassed, but the students were really great, so we just laughed at this silly mistake and kept on studying. LOL Fortunately! Wacko

30 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Colibrita!  All the Scandinavians love and use that joke!
When I ask my kids if they are finished (Finnish) they love to answer
"No I �m Danish!"  I hear it 10 times a day!!!

I �m sure the Norwegians, Swedes, Icelanders and Danes all love that joke!!

30 Oct 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

The silliest thing that happened to me in class was showing up wearing my brown loafer on one foot and my husband �s black shoes on the other!  I used to wake up much earlier than him and, not to wake him up, I had to get dressed in the dark. He had left his shoes (which are almost my size) next to mine so... the kids really thought I was silly!

30 Oct 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

I �ve got another one - once when my niece and nephew came over for dinner the conversation turned to school. I asked my nephew what Shakespeare play they were studying - "the Virgin of Menace" he said and then "no I mean The Merchant of Venice"! We laughed ourselves silly!

30 Oct 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3