Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Muslim friends help me, please!    

Muslim friends help me, please!

mariannina
Italy

Muslim friends help me, please!

Hello! This morning at school, one of my Muslim  students told me that next Saturday there �ll be a celebration, but he couldn �t say anything more.
Do you think that "The Feast of Sacrifice" is celebrated so soon in Italy? I thought that it �ll be on the 27th of november. Am I mistaken?
If you are so kind to answer me, you may pm me. Thank you and
Ciao

16 Nov 2009      

_babz
Canada

I �m not sure

but check with www.wikipedia.org

16 Nov 2009     

steve ESL
United States

I �m not Muslim but I live in Turkey. In Turkey the holiday is not until Nov. 27th. I think that is standard, though I haven �t looked it up. To be sure, you could go to google and enter something like "muslim holiday calendar" or "muslim holiday 2009" and find what you need. It �s possible that your student (presumably a beginner from his inability to explain in more detail) simply meant "an upcoming weekend" or "weekend after next", which are much more difficult to say than "next". Isn �t language teaching fun?

16 Nov 2009     

esra0410
Turkey

hello. first of all thank you for being so sensitive to such kind of celebrations for the religious believes. it �s true that "the feast of sacrifice" is on the 27th of november. it is not celebrated earlier in nowhere.may be the boy couldn �t tell you clearly his problem.I think you should contact with his family. I hope that it will be helpfull. goodbye 

16 Nov 2009     

selenn
Turkey

Dear mariannina.I am from Turkey and yes the holiday starts on 26th of October.

16 Nov 2009     

hamid993
United States

hi
it will be celebrated on Saturday 28 November 2009

http://www.religionfacts.com/islam/holidays/adha.htm

16 Nov 2009     

janaesl
Saudi Arabia

Hi mariana, i am a muslim . Yes it is the clebration of Eid Al Adha. on 27th of November, which is 10 of zul haj according to the islamic calendar. Muslims every where celebrate this day.

16 Nov 2009     

janaesl
Saudi Arabia

Sorry i forgot to tell you i live in Saidi Arabia

16 Nov 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Grazie/thanks to all of you. I didn �t want to insist with my young student because he was about to burst into tears when I told him it couldn �t be that date. Tomorrow I �ll talk to him again.
We are preparing some posters and he wanted me to write "Eid el Mubarak" (I wanted to write Eid el Adha, instead!), is it correct?
Last year everything was easier because, in my old school, I made friends with an Algerian lady and she was very helpful. In my new school I don �t know anybody...yet, I don �t give in!!!
Thank you

16 Nov 2009     

sahram
Turkey

hi Marianna,
yes next week there is  a festival and the feast of sacrifie.

16 Nov 2009     

eng789
Israel

It is in rememberance of Abraham �s willingness to sacrifice Issac ( the Bible) because G-d told Abraham to prove the he believes in him (G-d).

16 Nov 2009     

1    2    Next >