Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Dear collegues! Could you give me a peace of advice.She doesn īt have any husband. Is this correct?    

Dear collegues! Could you give me a peace of advice.She doesn īt have any husband. Is this correct?

Tatyana83
Armenia

Dear collegues! Could you give me a peace of advice.She doesn īt have any husband. Is this correct?

SmileShe doesn īt have any husband.
 Is this correct?
Would it be correct If I want to in enhance the idea THAT SHE IS LONELY. Or I should  say: She hasn īt got a husband.
Thank you in advance.

18 Nov 2009      

libertybelle
United States

She hasn īt got a husband or she doesn īt have a husband is fine.

18 Nov 2009     

Alenka
Slovenia

I think that some and any we use only with plurals, so

She hasn īt got a husband.

is the correct solution.

18 Nov 2009     

catraposo
Portugal

The correct sentence is :she hasnīt a husband.

Have a nice day!

Catarina

18 Nov 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi
Just wandering, I agree with yours answers but, let īs imagine she has already had a few, some, many husbands, but now she is alone. Couldn īt we say, in this case, " she doesn īt have any husbands. "
I know we are supposed to have only one, and at a time, but not all of us behave, Tongue, so, LB, you are native, what do you say? Or even so, you would consider it wrong?

18 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

The only way you could say that is: "She hasn īt got any "ex-husbands"." - It īs incorrect the other way since polygamy isn īt allowed in most societies. Wink

18 Nov 2009     

Tatyana83
Armenia

DEAR COLLEAGUES! I often hear THAT: Does she have any idea? or I don īt have ANY IDEA.

so is it INcorrect??
Found in Google:
My best friend doesnt have any child. One time she had abortion.

18 Nov 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi LindaSmile
Thank you, I guess you are right, better one than any. LOL

18 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

Tatiana,

The "haven īt any idea" - is a very common saying and is correct because here "idea" is being used as a conceptual, abstract thing like "time"..."She doesn īt have any time to do those reports."

And the other one is wrong, really wrong... I don īt care if it was found on Goggle or not. You canīt say "She hasnīt any child..." it īs "she hasnīt any children."

*waves to the other Linda* Smile

18 Nov 2009     

Tatyana83
Armenia

Dear Zora , Dear Olindalima ( F ), Dear catraposo,Dear  Alenka ,Dear libertybelleHug,
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ANSWERS!!!! NOW IT īS CLEAR TO ME!

18 Nov 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

**** Waving frantically at the grammar gurus that are online... can you please have a look at this thread and my question? http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=14054

Embarrassed
PS you cannot say My best friend doesn īt have any child. The correct word is children. (Contributing so it is not a complete semi hijack of thread.....)

18 Nov 2009     

1    2    Next >