Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > one more Christmas doubt :-)    

one more Christmas doubt :-)

silvanija
Lithuania

one more Christmas doubt :-)

Hello all Big smile

What do people hang on Christmas trees: balls, bulbs or baubles.
In the song we learn with pupils it is written "baubles". But I find other names too.
Which one is  the most frequent.

Thanks in advance

25 Nov 2009      

almaz
United Kingdom

Not �bulbs � - lights, rather. Christmas lights.

Balls... well, yeah, and bells as well!

They �re all baubles, I suppose: shiny and worthless.

25 Nov 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi,

The Christmas ornaments that are round an made out of material or string we used to call Christmas balls, and bulbs usually refer to the lights. Baubles, however, is not what we would call Christmas ornaments in the South. We used to call cheap, costume jewelrey "baubles," but now that word is really becoming archaic. Our young people don �t know what we mean when we say it!

Carla

25 Nov 2009     

englishreader
Austria

Baubles!

I have never heard anyone refer to them as balls. I am a native speaker!

The lights, by the way, are called fairy lights!

25 Nov 2009     

englishreader
Austria

Ah. Have just read the reply above.
Which once again makes the difference between British English and American English all too clear!

25 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

I �ve heard - and used - both bulbs or balls... but "balls" is more frequent nowadays, I think. 

25 Nov 2009     

Jayho
Australia

From an Ozzie point of view it �s baubles.  I haven �t heard of Christmas balls.  Today most people here refer to baubles just simply as Christmas decorations.

Bulbs here means Christmas lights.

25 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

If you Goggle it and then look at images there, you will see that "bulbs" are both Christmas lights and balls or baubles! lol

25 Nov 2009     

silvanija
Lithuania

LOL
Thanks a lot Hug Very interesting to read.
Such a simple thing and so many words. Sometimes my pupils translate from Lithuanian and call them bubbles.

25 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

Bubbles... lol.. cute...

I �d like to add something that just kind of hit me. I think the "bulbs" - at least I remember this from my childhood - are the glass ball-like ornaments. My grandparents had these and when fell off the tree, they would shatter everywhere...  So I think that they were called "bulbs" because like "light bulbs", they are made of glass! ... Or that is my logic behind this... LOL

25 Nov 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

What an interesting topic!! i �ve learnt a lot.

I �ve searches all the words and found out that they are the same. Look at this Silvanija:

Your students are so mistaken!!!

26 Nov 2009     

1    2    Next >