Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Help I cant manage the students to be quite    

Help I cant manage the students to be quite

libertybelle
United States

Ayda - you have to take care about generalizing about women and men teachers being able to control a class. Perhaps you  come from a different culture and perhaps women aren �t as respected as men (are they??)
But they are respected where I come from. It �s not a gender thing, it �s a question of how good and experienced you are a tackling and solving problems.

I �ve had many classes with many disruptive boys and I can control them just as well as any of my male colleagues.  If you have the experience, the psychological understanding and the right tools, you should be able to control any situation.

You just have to find out what the problem is. If you don �t have the tools, start reading and asking for help - there are lots of experienced teachers around to help.

29 Nov 2009     

andreaewa
Uruguay

Spoiled? who? studens or techers who think it �s "their" problem? If you like your job and you care for your students then you must do something!!! if not, it �s you who is "spoiling" the opportunity to help others to be better. try this.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqvBjvbsUxs and this 
Good Luck!!

29 Nov 2009     

naryana
Saudi Arabia

you �re absolutely right Aida , I teach in public school but i noticed that when ss are from middle class they tend to be more disciplined and well-behaved than ss from high class or rich families ...currently , i teach ss from wealthy families , they tend to be dump and less civilized , arrogant ...who care less about education and more  about trends and food!!!
They are spoiled empty-headed ....i have to sugar-coat any information i give ...and spoon fed it to them .. some of you might think that iam being cynical towards my ss..and that i am not doing enough ..believe me I �ve done more than enough...they  are just hopeless case ..

29 Nov 2009     

Azza_20
United Arab Emirates

Ayda, your post is so annoying!

first, the lady  teaches in Bahrain not Qatar!!

Second i found ur comment  really insulting and very rude!!

i come from this part of the world which you just labeled as *rich* and yes its true we have oil which is a blessing from God. but, that doesnt mean our children are brats or spoiled as you claim and have no respect to teachers! Excuse me, but your comment show how ignorant some teachers can be!!

besides, i disagree about this whole male/ female teachers! i think female teachers are quite able to handel a classroom as much as male teachers do. its about ur personality not ur gender.

I think the problem is that the students misbehave because they don�t understand the language. Norway, you need to educate urself and learn few Arabic words to communicate with the students.

here are few suggestions:

1 ) establish classroom rules, display it on a poster and ask the students to sign on it. and you can also send a copy home with the consequences for each behaviour.

for example, if a student  physically beat another student, they will be sent to the principal office / 10 minutes timeout / detention ... etc.

2 ) focus on rewarding the positive behavior, believe me it workkksssssssssssss!!

and suddenly the students will be competitive and eager to earn points. you can introduce a chart with students names on it and each time they do something good, or are behaving good give them something like pictures of soccer stars,  stickers, or give them a reward in the morning assembly.

3) overplan your lesson!! make sure to keep them engaged. boys at this level are so active and you need to keep them occupied all the time. prepare extra worksheets and provide some manipulatives in the class to be used. i dont know if u have a computer in the classroom but if you do, install some games and websites there are plenty of websites that can be used in the classroom and allow early finishers to use it. boys love playing on the computer.

4) be positive, and embrace the opportunity. Try to enjoy the experience and don�t show the students that you don�t  enjoy teaching  them.

29 Nov 2009     

Adva
Israel

I  had the same problem a few years ago.
first u must call the parents during the school hours don´t ignore bad behavior!  deal with it immediately.
find out who is the leader of the class and give him special  responsibility.

maybe they don´t understand the lesson so take two steps backwards.

use a film to teach a  new vocabulary. In my boys class I SHOWED THEM THE MOVIE "A NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM"
they loved it and after the movie I hanged 25 new words from the movie on the board we translated them
and the last assignment was to tell the class about their favourite part.
GOOD LUCK Adva

29 Nov 2009     

norway12
Bahrain

Teaching in middle east is very hard because of culture differences here most families have no role in teaching or behaving their children , they don �t care

29 Nov 2009     

ayda louhichi
Tunisia

Hi Azza,
I �d like to clarify something very important which is that i didn �t mean to insult anyone by my comments and  quote me if i did, on the opposite i �ve just made a conclusion why students are  so hyper , in English specifically and the conclusion i �ve end up with is not from vain, you live there and you know that Gulf countries cooperate with many countries around the world namely Tunisia to bring teachers of different subjects to teach there. Unfortunately, it �s the same view of many teachers I know personally who have been in qatar, Bahrain, UAE ... , my brother also work there in qatar and he told many thing about the students � behavior
I �ve known some friends also from the UAE and they once said the same, you misinterstand me and to describe students as spoiled is not an insult.

About your comment concerning female teachers are as able to handle agitated students as men, I totally disagree, the lady says that she has tried everything to motivate them and to maintain disciple in the clas but in vain, as she shows in the picture, she �s undoubtedly a serious teacher and it is not a sin when we admit we can �t have complete control over our students, the problem is not in us but in the students themselves, sometimes the administration also is not helpful because it tells the teacher to handle his/her class and to avoid its intervention

29 Nov 2009     

English971
Guadeloupe

U know ur ss like cars, fashion, etc. why don �t you teach using those subjects as lessons � themes. It could motivate �em.

29 Nov 2009     

Nina Pizzo
Portugal

I suggest you visit this site:

(or the home page: http://www.teachers.tv/, and then explore the site).

I hope it helps.

29 Nov 2009     

ayda louhichi
Tunisia

Hi libertybelle,
I come from a country which is one of the leading countries in respecting women and giving them their rights in the Arab world and in the whole world as well, Tunisia which has made Men envy us for the amount of freedom and rights we enjoy but this is not our question. I4m very practical and hate to be ideal and spread Utopian thoughts especially as far as teaching and experience are concerned. No one can deny that the image of man since ancient times is that image of power and strength and the image of woman is that of tenderness and softness. In a class of very agitated and hyper students, gender issue is very important, when the teacher is a woman is completely different from when the teacher is a man (NB: the whole class in our case here is boys students)
Something else, you �re from the United States and i �m very fun of American movies, I �ve seen many films where there are scenes describing students at school and the tricks they do for the teacher in the class. Students elsewhere do this and the teacher tries his/her best to handle the class but the moment he or she says help! I can �t anymore that means that neither the teacher (personality) is a problem nor his compretencies and knowledge

29 Nov 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >