Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help needed urgently! Can someone clarify this point?    

Help needed urgently! Can someone clarify this point?

kunter
Hong Kong

Help needed urgently! Can someone clarify this point?

In the following sentences, I am pretty certain �like� is the main verb:

I like listening to CDs.

He likes playing with dolls.

I like taking the train.

So are the underlined words, gerunds or present participles (i.e. ing-verbs acting as adjectives)?

Thanks, your help would be much appreciated.

14 Dec 2009      

Vivi Quir
Argentina

the ing is not acting as adjective!!! I don �t think i understand your question...

14 Dec 2009     

flaviatl
Argentina

As far as I know, they are gerunds

14 Dec 2009     

monchis
Mexico

In  this case they are gerunds and they are used as nouns. When you say "I like listening to music" you refer to an activity that you like/enjoy.
We use present participles with conituous tenses and you say " i am/was listening to music", here you refer to an action in progress.

mmm, hope this is clear enough :)

14 Dec 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

They are not adjectives, according to what I know two verbs can`t go together, you cannot say:

* I like play the guitar
* I like watch tv

the 2 verbs must be separated by a "to" or by an "ing" form

* I like to play the guitar / I like playing the guitar
* I like to watch TV / I like watching TV

14 Dec 2009     

monchis
Mexico

Ups!  I mean ... present participle is used in continuous tenses

14 Dec 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Yes, they are gerunds.  It is like: I like golf/I like golfing.  You are using the present participle as a noun, hence a gerund. Take the first sentence: I like listening to music.  If someone asks you "Why aren �t you saying anything?", you can answer, "I like listening."  Gerunds can stand alone.  You can add an object to give more clarification.  

14 Dec 2009     

kunter
Hong Kong

How about the sentenced:

Traveling by taxi is expensive.

In this example, traveling is not a gerund, is it?

14 Dec 2009     

dareka1
Japan

that is a clausal phrase, I think? the main verb is still �is �. One phrase is �equal � to the other.

It �s still a gerund. As far as I know, a gerund is just the ing form being used as something else. (like the infinitive is the �to � form)

I could be wrong though, I never paid much attention in English class at school....

14 Dec 2009     

HOLYMARY_852
India

Gerund is not the adjective but a verbal noun. It is the name of an action or activity.  So, when it is a name, it must be called a noun. For example: Look at the following example similar to the one you have quoted : I like swimming. In this sentence, �like � is the main verb and �swimming � is the name of the action which we call verbal noun or gerund. I hope this clarifies your doubt.

14 Dec 2009     

lazzy
Vietnam

surely it �s gerund using after some verbs like : like, hate, love etc.

14 Dec 2009     

1    2    Next >