Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Answers to worksheets    

Answers to worksheets

Laura-Jane
Japan

Answers to worksheets

I have downloaded some fantastic worksheets recently but have not been able to use them all!

I have been increasingly frustrated with the lack of answers and instructions.
I have many worksheets which I can not use due to lack of proper instructions or answers.
I don`t always have time to check worksheets before I hand them out and I am reluctant to give out worksheets before checking them. A catch 22 situation!

For example it is easy to include answer sheets in wordsearches by adding another sheet with the words highlighted, and puzzles/riddles could do the same.

Also there are often users who are not native English speakers who may find the worksheets difficult to complete, or may be unsure, how often are people posting here for answers!

Maybe something to think about! Although my students do love the find the mistake in the worksheet games, but I don`t think they believe me when I say I didn`t make it myself!

21 Dec 2009      

pallmand
Japan

I agree 100%!

It only takes a few minutes to include the answers.

21 Dec 2009     

zailda
Brazil

We �d better print and check the wss before handing them to students, even the ones we made ourselves.

I agree that for games instructions are to be provided and for wordsearches or the like keys are time saving if you do not want to "have fun" solving it before giving to students.

For elementary level or grammar topics I think they are not essential because non-native teachers have grammar books, but the author may want to provide them as an additional treat.

With or without keys the wss here are a treasure that I won �t ever thank enough for.

21 Dec 2009     

Laura-Jane
Japan

Good point Zailda,
I don`t mean that all worksheets should have an indepth answer sheet and a grammar explanation with them, just if there are `fill in the blanks` or something there really should be an answer key.
I have a really good christmas puzzle in front of me right now, well i think it is good I can`t figure out what I am supposed to do! I would love to "have fun" solving the worksheets, but I just don`t have time LOL

The worksheets are great I agree and they do save me a lot of time of course, but I hate to see worksheets wasted and not used just because I can`t figure them out! I wonder what my students are missing out on!

21 Dec 2009     

eng789
Israel

You should never hand out a ws that you haven �t checked 100%. 

21 Dec 2009     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

Personally, I can �t always check everything.

I teach in a secondary school and don �t have a spare minute to eat lunch let alone do my marking!!

I often get WS handed to me from other teachers to give to the kids. I get homework assignments, quizzes, revision W.S. handed to me last minute. Students point out errors to me before I can spot them!

Now, going back to the original post, that means I dont have time to check all answers on WS so those few that provide answer keys are greatly appreciated!!

21 Dec 2009     

phil niro
Japan

Laura - Jane,

I was wondering about your statements highlighted herein concerning the worksheets. I know that you would agree with me that we are given all the options to choose the worksheets which are appropriate to the needs we have for our classes.Beforehand, we have the right to preview the worksheets in order for us to determine whether it is what we need taking into account the plan we made for the lesson. Besides, most of the worksheets provided herein are subject for editing as long as we deemed it necessary.  As a teacher , it is our responsibility to make sure that all the worksheets are properly edited before we  hand them  out  to the learners.Remember that whatever  wrong entries in the worksheets that you have handed out to the students , it would definitely reflect to you being the teacher.

I would suggest that proper editing and thorough planning be encapsulated in choosing the worksheets not just merely downloading them without thoroughly previewing its contents.

Anyway, I have great time in choosing the best worksheets created by the best teachers in the world although they are not from NATIVE English - speaking countries. As far as I am concerned, the best worksheets herein are created by teachers from Europe.  Thank you for such great contributions.

21 Dec 2009     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

Are you talking about my post phil?

The original post just concerns including an answer key, which i always provide to my colleagues cuz it �s just rude to give them a WS with no answers! They would have to spend time doing it when I should have done it already!!

Anyway, perhaps you should join my world. I co-teach in a big secondary school and ... I give teachers WS to use and sometimes they give me WS that I need to distribute during my lessons. I personally don �t have time to itch my nose let alone check WS in the detail I would like when they should have been checked already.

In a perfect world, we shoud indeed c a r e f u l l y pour over every item we have for our students. I �m just saying it aint a perfect world. And answer keys, althoug rare, are indeed greatly appreciated.

21 Dec 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

I think answer keys should be obligatory. Wss without keys are just a (expletive deleted). Answer keys save time and isn �t that a precious commodity that we �ve never enough of? I also strongly suggest that authors turn on their spell checkers at all times in order to decrease typos and other mistakes.

21 Dec 2009     

Montypython
France

Hi!!!!

I understand what you mean & always include a key to my ws because they take so long to make (especially for the listening or reading tasks, I usually end up with 6 to 8 pages just for the answer key). I think it is important as it saves everybody time & i don �t know how you do it, but I usually (always now as a matter of fact) have an overhead projector & use it for the answer key, so I need a typed answer key.

Anyway, whatever people SHARE (let �s not forget that it �s a GIFT), it �s always welcome & I �m VERY GRATEFUL for all the WONDERFUL ws I download avery day!!!

Thank you again for :
- sharing
- making us better teachers (because we learn so much from other teachers, other methods)
- making our teacfhing more fun for our ss!!!!!!

&
to all of you fantastic fellow teachers!!!!!

one of the things I really appreciate is that we come from so different places & what we all really share is the love of our job!

Thanks for everything ddear friends!!!!

marie

21 Dec 2009     

Laura-Jane
Japan

Hello,
Thanks for all taking the time to read my post!

I think people are getting confused, I am not asking for a grammar guide to as why the answers are the answers, just the answer!

I agree we SHOULD check worksheets before giving them to the students, I wish I could, but I often don �t have time. 
I got asked to cover a lesson today and downloaded a Christmas wordsearch, after much searching we found that one word was missing and one word was incorrect in the grid hence why we couldn �t find it! It was most frustrating for all of us! 

Another example is a �word ladder game � which looks really interesting, but without the answers I can not be sure what they are and am not confident to give it to my students. 

Phil; to address your point, yes I will probably edit the worksheets before giving them out, but I can �t edit it if I don �t have the answers! 

I know I can just email the author but it takes time for them to reply, and I hate for it to look like I am not appreciating the gift they have given me! 

laura 

21 Dec 2009     

1    2    Next >