Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > ?????Lessons a week?????    

?????Lessons a week?????

liza_xxx93
Russian Federation

?????Lessons a week?????

Hello, dear colleagues!

I don�t want to repeat the words of thankfulness (though, of course, I�m very grateful to all those who contribute their wonderful work here on this incredible site))) I can�t imagine my life and my work without it now � you simply save my time!!!

Just curious � how do you find time for preparing such outstanding material????
As for me, I have 43 lessons a week � or even more � it depends on our administration. And the only thing I manage to do is to write lesson plans for MOST of them (no ppts, no ws � shame on me!!!) And what is the average teaching load where you work?

I wonder, have you got the same problems as we, Russian teachers, face (I mean salary, lack of teaching material etc) in your country, or is there a paradise for teachers? (I really hope there is))))

Maria

8 Jan 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

A paradise for teachers is a state of mind!Wink

8 Jan 2010     

liquidnuance
Japan

43 per week???  Are they 1-hour lessons?  I teach at a combined junior high/high school in Japan, and we typically teach 15-20 lessons/week, each lesson being 50 min.  I think I �d go crazy if I had to teach 43!  Hang in there! 

8 Jan 2010     

pollyanna_pl
Greece

Even if the 43 lessons per week are less than 50 minutes, each, all the different levels, kids, books, teaching objectives would drive anyone crazy!
Well our pay isn �t all that good, mind you, actually it is shameful (and I say that being a school owner as well as a teacher) but 15 to 20 hours seems sensible for Greek standards as well. You are a brave girl !!

8 Jan 2010     

liza_xxx93
Russian Federation

Well, they are 40 minutes - in Russia we have 40 minutes long lessons (or seldom 45 - it depends on school) And I �m not brave at all - I would call that CRAZINESS))))LOL

8 Jan 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

My hat goes off to you.  I would go mad with 43 classes. 

8 Jan 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

I am very lucky, I only have 31 45minute lessons a week, and these are spread over 4 days, i could teach more if they were all together, but there are a few in the morning and always some in the evening so those four days are spent in school from morning to night as there �s no point in going home. This leaves me a lot of time to prepare!

Most of the things I make I can �t put here because they are specifically related to specific chapters in specific books, and often I �m "borrowing" ideas a little to much for them to last long up here!

It �s much easier in the secondary schools here than the language schools, teachers there don �t have to prepare for lessons at all (both from what my students tell me and what teachers who teach there tell me) there jobs are pretty much safe no matter what they do, they can just sit there and say
"Open your books, page 30
do part one
okay what are the answers
do part two
what are the answers
Read that, here �s a dictionary"

etc. etc. etc.

Some of the teachers are only at an intermediate level and trying to teach teenagers ready to do their CAE
There are a few good teachers, not because the school system encourages helps them or forces them, but just because they are good teachers! Some of them post here! :)
Secondary school was the same when I was attending it at home in Ireland, standard of languages was ridiculously bad and only a handful of us could speak a word of German after 6 years of learning it.

As you can imagine for any student to improve in English in these situations they need serious intrinsic motivation, serious, and money for language school!

8 Jan 2010     

liza_xxx93
Russian Federation

RabbitWho, you are absolutely right. I know a lot of teachers who like to give their students translation from English to Russian - simply hate it! It �s such a waste of time(
But 31 lessons a week is rather difficult, too. So what do you think: what should be the right amount of lessons for a teacher???

8 Jan 2010     

akuzmenok
Ukraine

guys
I teach 21 45-minute-long lessons at a secondary school and 24 1.5-hour-long (48 45-minute-long)lessons at my private courses (a week). Since 1992
You are lucky

8 Jan 2010     

johanne23232
Israel

Here most teachers teach an average of 24 lessons, each 45 or 50 minutes long.  After age 50 we teach 22 hours and get the same pay, and after age 55 we teach 20 hours for the same pay, so our work load seems much lighter than yours. On the other hand, a lot of teachers here give private lessons in the afternoons and evenings to boost their income.......not to mention the endless hours spent preparing and marking.....

8 Jan 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

I think the number of lessons I have is the right number :D

But as I said if they were all together in the morning I could do more, maybe 1 or 2 more each day, and i �d have less preparing to do if I wasn �t using a different course-book with almost every class. I �d also rather have a somewhat intense 4 days and three days off then a calmer 5 days and 2 days off. The only exception to this would be if the 4 days were so intense that I slept for 2 of the 3, which is what my life was like when I waitressed!
Ideal number of lessons a week? 1!

I might do that when I am retired (many years a way), just teach one or two free (or almost free, maybe 1 euro per class, sometimes if something is free people don �t appreciate it) classes a week to local immigrants. It would be great fun.

I feel like my boss thinks I �m lazy though, she wanted to give me an extra student tuesday evening, but I refused as my first class that morning is at 7 which means getting up at 6, getting ready, and walking for 25 minutes in the snow, and that extra class would have meant finish my last class at quarter to 8 at night, I would be a complete zombie! I wouldn �t be able to finish my sentences! I had to do that last year and it was one of those classes where something always went wrong, every lesson there would be some simple question I couldn �t answer or I �d be completely incapable of explaining a word, and even get frustrated, which I never do!
So I refused the lesson and I really felt I was letting her down, it is something she would do herself, she really works very hard.
But my mom always told me never to feel like I owe an employer anything just for employing me! It was her choice to hire less people this year, my first duty is to myself and second is to the students.

8 Jan 2010     

1    2    Next >