Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > Deleting old worksheets    

Deleting old worksheets

David Lisgo
Japan

Deleting old worksheets

Hi,

I recently deleted one of my own worksheets "Where are the animals?", because the picture was from an unknown origin.  I had found the picture on the Internet a long time ago and as usually happens I couldn �t find it again, couldn �t check its origin and so couldn �t credit the person or ask permission to use it.  Then after reading Victor �s message regarding pictures in this topic
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=15895
(a message from Victor I had been waiting for and thoroughly agree with), I decided to delete my worksheet just in case the picture came from an ESL source.

Recently a number of members, including moderators, have lost their accounts because they had uploaded worksheets which had been copied and pasted from the Internet or photocopied from textbooks.  When these are taken from ESL sources, they are always considered as copies.  They are also considered as copies if the author has done no work to make the worksheet his or her own even though they are from sources which we can generally use.

I �m bringing up this topic to suggest to members to look at their old worksheets and if any of them are �suspect �, then delete them yourself otherwise, even if the worksheets are a few years old, there is the chance that they will be reported as copies and that your account, along with all your points, will be deleted.

Please help clean up this web site by reporting copies and cleaning up your own accounts.

Sincerely,
David Lisgo

2 Feb 2010      

donapeter
Romania

David dear,
I am very sure I do not have texts from English books, but I can �t be so sure about the images.....because I am a member here from 2008 and my memory is not so long-lasting ( I have 200 wss....how could I remember each image???)). I am sure many moderators or old members can �t really remember from where did they take the images. I don �t think only one image would harm. We cannot delete wss only because MAYBE we took those images from an ESL book and we don �t remember now. 
I also remember Victor saying that old wss shouldn �t be reported unless they are stolen!

Regards,
D

2 Feb 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Dear Dona,

I also don �t think anyone will worry about a single image unless it �s the only image on the page and one which the worksheet is built around. My own worksheet had a single image which took up half the page and the worksheet has no meaning without it.

"Stolen" means illegally taken without the owner �s permission so of course this includes images taken from ESL textbooks.  I �m not so up to date with all the various ESL textbooks so I myself don �t bother much about images.  Text on the other hand is much easier to check out.

We recently had a member who was using images from a Longman picture dictionary.  He �s gone now.  It �s the responsibility of each member to keep their own accounts within the rules of this website �forgetting � will not be considered a valid excuse IMO.

I �m not trying to tell people what to do, but just sending a friendly warning out to those members who have many �illegal � worksheets in their accounts.

Regards,
David

2 Feb 2010     

donapeter
Romania

ok. In that case I also want to ask all the members who downloaded those wss to delete them from their computers and of course not use them in the class. 
I think that I am about to understand the members who have left this site and decided to mind their business. 
What �s happening here is a witch hunt. I am getting tired of people digging and digging: this is X �s layout, this is Y �s color, this is from a book, this has a watermark on it and so on. 
I think the only joy of some members here is only to find mistakes and to report wss. 

Have a great hunting!

D

2 Feb 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Maybe I should take a break from here. As theives often get more respect than honest people on this forum.

Bye.

2 Feb 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

You can add images from books to your worksheets... as long as you add your OWN exercises too.

The rule is clear, everybody should know that.

EDIT:  I do not see the reason why you deleted your worksheet David, if the image was taken from a book, but you added your own exercises

2 Feb 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Juliet, I don �t know where the image came from that �s why I removed it.  I agree that we can use images from books, but we cannot use images from ESL textbooks without permission as it �s not considered fair use as Victor has made clear.

2 Feb 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Even I think this is going too far. If it �s just a single image from an unknown source I don �t see any harm if you added your own exercises. Same goes for text.

2 Feb 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Philip that �s my choice, though I have to say that I have never reported a worksheet for just one image.

2 Feb 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

Paranoia will destroy ya!

2 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

Yup Joy, paranoia is destroying us all... sadly enough. People are digging and dredging up old work in the hopes of finding those big bad thieves that used an image or one little ole activity from a book years ago...

I am also one of those members who is, like Dona, thinking of minding her own business here. I hate to see what this witchy hunting paranoia is doing. The site has become uncomfortable in many ways and I HATE how people keep throwing in everyones face that we aren �t loyal to the site if we aren �t part of the this "hunt for the elusive stolen printable".

This has gotten somewhat out of hand, it seems like members from certain "backgrounds" are the ones targeted more often and .. if many of you don �t believe me - take a good hard look at the "people" whose work is being reported... they are not usually from France, Sweden, Argentina, Portugal... but from other places... if you get my drift... and if that ain �t a witch hunt, well I don �t know what is.

2 Feb 2010     

1    2    Next >