Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > my family is? or my family are? which one is corretc?    

my family is? or my family are? which one is corretc?

vareste
Turkey

my family is? or my family are? which one is corretc?

Hello everyone,

I just want to ask a  question, Some books say � �family � � is singular while others say that it is plural. I can guess one of them is British and the other one is American, but which one is the correct use of it?

9 Mar 2010      

Nessie33
Germany

My family is .... The members of my family are....Smile

9 Mar 2010     

vareste
Turkey

I saw a question like that:

Her family..................... a lot of prestige in this town.

a)have got
b)has got
c)was
d)had been

So, if we think the word �family � here is a group of members, so what will we do?
In my opinion, the answer is has got. But i cant be sure.

9 Mar 2010     

nandaagon
Portugal

I think it �s is. If instead of my family you had my brother and my sister, for instance, then it would be are. Besides if you had to replace my family by a pronoum it would be a singular one, not a plural one.

9 Mar 2010     

vareste
Turkey

thnx a lot, i actually wonder what the native speakers think about this

9 Mar 2010     

serene
Greece

Perhaps you �ll find the following useful:

9 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

Truthfully, the singular and plural verb form after collective nouns such as family are more or less interchangeably used. As a native speaker, it depends on your meaning. I would say �My family are crazy �, probably because I �m thinking about the individual members. I would say �My family is in England � because I �m speaking more generally. However, there really isn �t a difference.

Hope that helps!

9 Mar 2010     

vareste
Turkey

thaks serene Thumbs Up

9 Mar 2010     

vareste
Turkey

thanks ishortan99, you mean that it depends on the meaning right? i agree with you but what do you think about my question? have got or has got?

9 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

I would say both!

If I was forced to choose I would say has because it is a generalisation but you could equally make a case for saying that (the members of) her family have a lot of prestige...

It �s one of what I call the English language grey areas!

9 Mar 2010     

vardaki
Cyprus

Advanced Grammar In Use, Cambridge University Press, 2005: You can use both the singular and plural forms of verbs with singular nouns that refer to a group of some kind.

You use the singular when referring to the group as a whole unit and the plural form when the focus is on the group as a collection of individuals.

Generally it makes little difference which is used and the singular form is more common.

9 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >