Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > game for adults, any ideas...?    

game for adults, any ideas...?

ignis.fatuus
Poland

game for adults, any ideas...?

hi everyone!
i need some good advice. i teach a group of adults, their level of english is pre-intermediate. they are 35-45 years old (which is much older than i am). to be honest, i don �t think the atmosphere during the lessons is comfortable for everyone. there are students who try to dominate others. moreover, they work for the same company and they are colleagues, but also their bosses. they keep distance. i need a good idea for a game to make them more relaxed. we don �t have too much space, so ideally i want them to sit at the tables or come to the board. i played taboo and other games with them, but my ideas are gone now...
do you know any games which would allow my students to have fun and improve the atmosphere?oh, i don �t want them to fool around too much, because they might feel uncomfortable with that.
any ideas welcome.
thanks in advance.
martyna

28 Apr 2010      

patrenou
Argentina

Have you tried P�ctionary or Scrabble?

28 Apr 2010     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Hello, I also teach people, who are colleagues and there are also some position differences between them and they are also around their 40s...THe atmosphere in my group is OK, I had just a slight problem with their being so "serious"... I was also thinking how to encourage them to speak and at the same time enjoy the speaking and I recalled the BBC 4 show - JUST A MINUTE .... have a look here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_a_Minute

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006s5dp

I �ve played it with them more times, they talked on specific questions like "Do you think that advertising influences our choice", but I �ve also tried very simple subjects like " a tomato", " a taxi driver" and so on.... We �ve changed the rules a little - there were two teams and in each team everybody was supposed to talk for one minute on the topic which the competing team picked out from my cards.....members of the opposite team had to watch if they were not breaking the rules (deviation, hesitation, repetition)... We had such fun!!! They enjoyed it so much that we had to play it again during the next lesson... They spoke, they had fun and I think the atmosphere wasn �t as serious as it used to be before...

And I also like playing "SHIPWRECKED", I found a very useful ws here on this site.... you just have to search...

And my third favourite game is "Bank robbery"....I tell my students a story about a bank robbery that happened, let �s say, yesterday about 22.p.m and that there are two suspects, who need alibi. I send them away from the classroom to arrange the alibi for each other.... Then they come back into the classroom and the rest of the students has to investigate the robbery and they ask Qs about what they were doing at that time, what were they wearing, and so on... they are allowed to ask as many details as they can in, let �s say 15 minutes. Then they have to decide if the suspects are guilty... I love it!!

I hope I helped....

Zuzana

28 Apr 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Hi, dear Martyna! :))

I can send you some good games if you let me have your E-mail address by PM.

Best wishes - Silke

28 Apr 2010     

alexcure
Poland

Hi Martyna,

You can play the game I wrote

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=183239#thetop

I don �t intend to advertise myself but help you. It will take the whole lesson, but they will have to draw the roles, if you have less students than the roles, you can get rid of the least important. The game always prooduces the atmosphere of fun and relax, even among the adults. They speak all the time and must act someone else. You can try to do sth so that the boss drew the minor role and the regular worker the role of Fred, for example. So the bosses will have to act regular people. 

Enjoy, ;-)

28 Apr 2010     

ignis.fatuus
Poland

thanks everyone!
i found some brilliant ideas :)
thanks a million and have a lovely evening (or day, depends on which continent you are)

28 Apr 2010     

ignis.fatuus
Poland

thanks everyone!
i found some brilliant ideas :)
thanks a million and have a lovely evening (or day, depends on which continent you are)

28 Apr 2010     

alerac
Argentina

SHREK �S EXERCISES CANCELLED!!??Thumbs Down

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHERE ON EARTH U HAVE SEEN MY EXERCISES ABOUT SHREK POSTED?
THEY HAVE CANCELLED THEM TELLING ME I HAD COPIED THEM FROM ANOTHER SITE.
THOSE EXERCISES WERE DONE BY ALEJANDRA RAPALL0 (YES, THAT �S ME).
LOTS OF PEOPLE HAVE DOWNLOADED THEM AND HAVE SENT ME PRIVATE MESSAGES ABOUT THEM.
THX TO ALL FOR SUCH NICE WORDS. I CAN SEE NOW THAT NOT ALL THE PEOPLE HERE ARE SINCERE. APPARENTLY, SOMEONE HAS COPIED THEM AND HE/SHE IS CLAIMING THAT IT IS HERS/HIM.

PITY FOR THE ONE WHO HAS DONE IT. TRY TO BE MORE CREATIVE NEXT TIME AND LEARN HOW TO DO NICE EXERCISES WHOEVER U ARE.

Thumbs Down 

29 Apr 2010     

vcjr
Brazil

I don �t know if you like any JEOPARDY GAMES or WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE... I have some of them already made in ppts... My students like them a lot..maybe it �s an idea...check them out. Hope they can help you! Greetings from Rio-Brazil

29 Apr 2010     

vanan
India

Hi, I need active games for adults like icebreakers before commencing the class. Especially active games. If you have please send it to my e mail id - [email protected]

29 Apr 2010     

ezeca
Argentina

Some time ago, I bought an e-book with games for adults. If you�d like me to share some of them with you, Just e-mail me.

8 Jun 2010