Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > DUELING BANJOS (i. e. our heads)    

DUELING BANJOS (i. e. our heads)

GIOVANNI
Canada

If one of my colleauges was badmouthing me, I would confront the person.  I wouldn �t accuse them, but I would let the person definitely know that I know what he or she has been doing.

What do you do when someone constantly badmouths the principal of your school and says she or he is not doing his or her job well?  Do you listen to them or do you let them know you are not interested in their gossip?

20 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi everyone! Still working but at home now... How wonderful to see all the ideas and solutions suggested ! Clap
Marion, something like that happened to me some years ago (I don �t work there anymore) and I ended up not sharing... yes, call me selfish, but I couldn �t find a balance ... and one day I came to school to find some sts happy about an activity - which I had proposed and whose material I had looked for and cut and glued etc - that their teacher had brought into the class as hers ! It �s paradise when you have colleagues that give as much as you do, fortunately, the ones I work with now, are like that !!
Anita, thank you for your ideas and for posting this in the first place !! What good ideas you have !
Giovanni, I would definitely tell him/her to go to the principal and get it off his/her chest! If he is so worried and affected by the principal �s bad work he should do something to try and change it ... Besides, gossip like that always goes around and the principal will end up knowing who said what about him/her, right?
PROBLEM : What would you do if ESLP didn �t exist ?  Cry  Where would we have the possibility of sharing, making our jobs easier and more varied and meeting such nice people online ??? Wink

20 May 2010     

szamoca
Hungary

Well I am in this situation right now. One of my colleagues started badmouthing each and every colleague for me right at the beginning of the school year. I just listened to her and did nothing I don �t like these kind of things. Then  she started saying all sorts of things about me. I still didn �t do anything. This week she filled in for me and when I met my Ss they were totally changed and said awful things to me. One of the girls even accused me of not preparing for my lessons.( this is not true) I was shocked and I went with the student to the headmaster where the S herself told the headmaster  a few things she had heard from my colleague. The headmaster asked me if I knew about these gossips and I said I knew them but I have nothing to do. The headmaster was surprised by the fact that I did nothing. The colleague  knows about the incident but she doesn �t know that the S mentioned her for the headmaster.  She works part time in our school so we meet only three times a week. She sits just opposite me in the teachers � room. ( I don �t hate her at all I just think she doesn �t worth to be called a teacher) I have been thinking why is she doing all these to me and I think she is jelous because I got her group for the simple reason that I have the necessary qualifications to prepare them for their finishing exam. I decided to ignore her totally and if she continues her evil gossiping I will stop her. I �m sure this will happen soon.
I wanted to share this with you. Hope you don �t mind.

20 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi szamoca,
you know, there will always be people whose only purpose in life is to make hell of other people �s ... this colleague could be one of them, and jealous, of course.
If I were you I �d let her know I know what �s she �s been up to, and setting things straight, just ignore her ... she �s not worth it!

20 May 2010     

anaisabel001
Spain

Hi everybody,
Anita, thanks for  starting this topic.
I also take my hat off at all of you. You deserve all my admiration and respect. I keep on learning from all of you.
Alicia, if ESLP didn �t exit,Cry , I �d die!!!!But I �m sure that this won �t happen  thanks to the great , generous and caring people of this site.Clap
Zailda, Your question  is a really difficult one .  It�s true that the biggest part of what a child learns takes place at school , but some of the most important lessons of life are taught at home so parents have a responsability in their children�s education.they should help them with their homework and know how they are interacting with other children.However, we are living in a materialistic and competitve society and there are some people who think that money can buy anything, even education.
Stress and the lack of time are also two important problems .
Don�t give up!! You�re a great teacher!!Hug

21 May 2010     

Isabelucha
Portugal

Hello sweet, marvellous human beings from all over the world! isn �t it maaaarvellous to talk about our beautiful profession? Hummm I LOVE IT!

Now, Anita, about the Student who memorised three of the parts from a play, just to make sure that everythg would be ok...  I must say: WOOOOW! I love that kind of kids who really care about everythg and feel that these small activities are important.

About badmouthing, I agree with most of you. Giovanni said that she would confront the person about what she had been saying... Me too! I really don �t appreciate false people, who talk about those who are not present at that moment. It �s one of the most despicable aspects of a person �s personality.

Problem - You have two colleagues and one of them (a French teacher) doesn �t like the other (Music teacher) (for no special reason). You usually have lunch with the French teacher, who saves a seat near her. Before lunch the Music teacher approaches you, asks you about lunch and goes to the restaurant with you. When you both get there the french teacher is already there and says: "Well, Isabel, all the seats are taken, except for this one... near me..." ------------What do you do? You have lunch with the Music teacher who followed you to the restaurant or you stay with the one with whom you usually have lunch?-------------this kind of situation happened to me a few days ago and I felt really bad... But then i solved the situation.

I hate making people feel bad, just because it �s "cool to mark your position."

21 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Mmm... a typical catch 22! I guess, Isabel, I would tell the Music teacher to "go, get a chair and come with us!", so you are inviting her, you �re not being rude, and at the same time, you are "loyal" to your everyday lunch companion !! If the French teacher doesn �t want to stay ... well, would she be so rude as to go away and leave you with the other colleague ??

How did you solve it ??

21 May 2010     

anaisabel001
Spain

Alicia, I �d do it just like you �ve just said.Hug
Good night everybody!

21 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Have a good night �s sleep Ana !!

21 May 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Anita,

Please, kindly ask Victor to put this thread at the top of the forum for some time!! It �s interesting as well as very useful for many users, because it triggers discussion and provides lots of helpful advice...

You really had a great idea there!! Nobody else but  brilliant you  would have thought about opening such a thread. Thumbs Up

Silke

21 May 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >