Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > DUELING BANJOS (i. e. our heads)    

DUELING BANJOS (i. e. our heads)

zailda
Brazil

Well, back from work...

I have 3 students who haven �t gotten the average grade to pass the midterm, so they �re going to have extra classes to review all the topics and redo the test within a month or so. I wrote a message to parents as soon as I finished correcting the tests and asked them for help and also told they kids are going to stay with me for half an hour after class.

I also gave some suggestions on how to help them organize their schedule to manage the extra work, but do you believe nobody answered yet? They limited to tell their children to stay with me and study hard.

In my mesage I also provided my phone number and said I can set a meeting with them to solve any questions they have about their kids � learning but... nobody seems to be interested.

Of course they appreciated the fact I �ll give them another chance but they are not involved at all. It �s my responsibility and their kids as well, but they have nothing to do with it, or so I learned from their (lack of) contact or reaction.

It �s sad because they �re great kids and feeling their parents really mind about their problem would be great. I assume that �d be a cruzade we �ll have to face by our own, their parents don �t want to take part in it.

Off to bed now, today was murder!

21 May 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Zailda, that is what makes a good teacher.  Someone like you, who cares about her students and is willing to put in the extra time and effort in order to see them succeed.  It �s a pity that some parents do not see a hand that has been given out to help their children.

I know how you feel.  This year a had an adult student who had been away quite a bit.  She needed English as one of her credits.  I offered my help and said she could meet me after class and I would help her.  She didn �t even bother coming to see me after class for help.  I just completed marking her exam, and guess what,  she failed. 

Sometimes, I have a hard time understanding why people chose to ignore the offering. 

Well, on the positive side, there sure are some great students who are hard workers and come for help whenever it is needed, and are really grateful for the helping hand.

New Problem - What would you do if you replaced a teacher on sick leave,  and when she returned she asked you for copies of your work to give to her next class?

21 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

hi giovanni ! i didn �t get the idea, copies of what you did while she was on leave ?

21 May 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Hi Aliciapc:

This is not what happened to me.  I just wanted to know what you would do if someone wanted your worksheets and your work for his/her next session.  This person is on the lazy side and doesn �t like preparing additional work.   Would you give him/her all you prepared, or would you tell him/her to prepare  his/her own work.

21 May 2010     

andreaewa
Uruguay

I would kindly share my work (signing it of course). I think that if the teacher is humble enough to ask you for the material, he/she deserves it. He/she is showing respect for your work, because he/she could get the material from the students but preferred to ask for it. 
If I think the person is just lazy, I would say ok, but I�m waiting for your contribution also!

21 May 2010     

Isabelucha
Portugal

Hi giovanni , Anita, Alicia, Zailda and all the other fab people who ar participating in this thread.

Giovanni - are there really people who ask for someone else �s work just because they don �t bother doing their own??? I probably got it wrong...
Well, if he/she just asked for the ws I had given to her class, just because she wanted to review some topics, I would certainly give it to him/her, but if I sensed some kind of "taking advantage of my work" I �d probably ask why she wanted it...

22 May 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4