Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Problems uploading    

Problems uploading

viccxx
Greece

Problems uploading

Hi everybody!

I created a new worksheet the other day and i still haven �t been able to upload it. When i try to, I get a weird message saying "word could not create the work file.  Check the temp environment varieable". Plus the Internet connection goes down for a few seconds. To add insult to injury, when I try to open the file in Word the images are all gone the way of the dodo.  Do I have gremlins or something?

3 Jun 2010      

magneto
Greece

Virus? Have you scanned the file?

3 Jun 2010     

alien boy
Japan

How high is your security setting? Try setting it to medium & see how it goes.

PM me if you need further assistance.

Cheers,
AB

P.S. there could be a few other things I can recommend, but I�d need to know which Operating System you use & which version of Office/Word you�re using too.
Do you use an external hard drive or a networked drive?

Regards,
AB

3 Jun 2010     

viccxx
Greece

My security is set to medium, but I do have McAffee security installed. My opereting system is Windows 7 and I �m using Office 2007. The cliparts I used are from an old ArtExpossion collection I had once boughT and the problems started once i had them coppied on my
hard drive. Maybe a combatibility issue??
The file is saved on the computers hard drive and so are the cliparts, its not a network or external drive...
Any ideas????

3 Jun 2010     

viccxx
Greece

And it �s definatelly not a virus, the computer is brand new and I have just run a full scan...

3 Jun 2010     

Babs1966
France

Maybe the worksheet was made with open office ... it could be one of the reason.

I used to use it and changed back to microsoft office 2007 which is the most stable software

Hope you get to fix your problem

Good day to you, Babs

3 Jun 2010     

alien boy
Japan

Ok

try the following:

Go to �System � (this can be found in your �Control Panel �)

Choose �Advanced System Settings �

Press �Environment Variables � (bottom right corner)

The path to the Windows temp folder will be shown at the top part of the box. Check to see if the path actually exists or edit it to a folder of your own choosing. Check both "TEMP" and "TMP" and, if you alter them, make them use the same folder. Okay your way out and reboot.

Hopefully this will work for you!

Basically the error is that it�s looking for info to set up your page & can�t find it. Essentially the way a document is stored is different to what you actually see, it�s more like a bunch of information that �points/directs� the computer at the right bits & pieces to show you what it thinks you want to see.... 
smoke & mirror stuff, really.

Cheers,
AB

3 Jun 2010     

magneto
Greece

Wow!!! AB, you �re a real e-savvy! Too bad you live so far away and can �t take up IT support as a second job...You would come in very handy! I was just checking some pc forums to suggest to viccxx, and that �s pretty much what those computer experts there were saying. You rock!Thumbs Up 

3 Jun 2010     

alien boy
Japan

In another life I �M actually a qualified computer programmer (& several other things)... so sometimes what you see isn �t really all that you get!!

Wink

now, if you �ll give me remote access to your computer I can do some IT support... Evil Smile

(just kidding, I really wouldn �t recommend it... Clown)

3 Jun 2010     

Babs1966
France

suddenly I feel stupid with my answer Embarrassed LOL
But I �m glad AB Expert came in ;) I �ll know where to knoc in case of PC problems Wink

3 Jun 2010     

alien boy
Japan

Don �t feel silly Babs - that could also have been an issue, just not with the error message that was provided! 

In fact, I thought it was a pretty good question Big smile

3 Jun 2010     

1    2    Next >