Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What do you miss most?    

What do you miss most?

anitarobi
Croatia

What do you miss most?

Dear colleagues,
since for many of you the school year has just finished or is about to (not all, I know), I was wondering what it is you most miss from your work as a teacher during the summer holidays, and what is it you couldn �t care less about and wish you didn �t have to do it in the new school year? I �m thinking about everything your job involves - students, colleagues, principas, parents, paperwork, creativity, noise, schedule... Because, let �s face it - though we can �t wait for the holidays and when they start we �re so tired we don �t want to see another test or homework, still after a while, something starts itching and bugging and you do miss it...

21 Jun 2010      

mena22
Portugal

Hi dear anita! Although we do not have classes (mine finished on the 15th), we are still at school. My holidays only start on July 25th and till then there �s still a lot of work to do! So, I really do not miss anything, to tell you the truth. I �m exhausted and I need that month �s rest. I can hardly wait!  Smile  Besides, I live in a small community, so I get to see my colleagues and friends pretty often down town, on the beach, at the mall, wherever.
But I must confess there was a time when it was different. It must be one of those things that come with age. Embarrassed

Have a nice day,
mena

21 Jun 2010     

lshorton99
China

My answer for both is the same - students!

I miss my students every year and at the same time I don �t miss the hassle of dealing with difficult students.

I also miss my productivity - I do twice as much non-teaching work when I �m working than when I �m resting. I most likely won �t produce a worksheet all summer yet I can make 20 in a week at the height of the academic year.

I �ll miss the staffroom interactions and being able to help new teachers with difficult students or knowledge about how our school works.

I won �t miss report writing or parents � evening!

It �s all made worse this year because it �s my last year in this job before I make a fresh start in a new country!

Lindsey

21 Jun 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Hello Ladies...

mmm...What do I miss....? actually I miss my students... the silly things they would tell me, their smiles, their jokes.. thier excuses...apart from that nothing else...

Have a nice day...
Greek Professor

21 Jun 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Anita and all of you

I surely love holidays, because I don �t have papers to correct. It �s the thing I hate most. I hate that so much that whenever I have works, assessments and that stuff I correct everything as soon as I get them, just not to have to think about that  Censored  anymore.

I miss my kids ( not ALL, obviously, but most of them ) and I love working through out holidays, just doing things that are not for tomorrow �s lesson. I enjoy sitting, coming here, have a read in your posts, check the news and start working, thinking about things I can make, because I have the time. Probably the basis of my school year is prepared during holidays, even if it is not ready to go, but it is almost ready in my mind. at least main ideas are.

Today I have a day off. Evaluations meetings have just started, but I don �t have any, today.
I �m listening to Charmed to jukebox.

Hugs
linda

21 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi dear colleagues,

We still have 5 more months to go, but when holidays come I don �t miss anything or anybody for the first month and a half !! Then, when February comes and there �s still one month to begin, I feel I miss the interaction with students, the breaks with other colleagues, to talk about relaxing things or just to complain about things !! I also miss speaking English, as I don �t during the summer.. What I don �t and would never miss is getting up at 6.30 am! I love that part of the summer, getting up when I want - well, when my kids make me wake up, that is ... Thank you Anita, nice thread !  Hug

21 Jun 2010     

serene
Greece

Hi Anita! My answer is almost identical to Lindsey �s.
I miss my teenagers � fresh smiling faces, even when they were still sleepy at 8.15 in the morning or mischievous at the end of their school day. I miss their spontaneity, their carefree liveliness although I often had a hard time trying to control it. I miss their commitment, their involvement and excitement whenever I brought something to class (usually a story, song or video) which they found particularly interesting and motivating.
I don �t miss those (fortunately) few students (esp. new ones when we haven �t known each other well yet) who are rude and aggressive no matter how kind and polite you are with them.
I also miss chatting to colleagues during breaks but I don �t miss sorting out school documents and putting them away in different files.
Finally, I don �t miss carrying my books, notes, laptop and overhead projector from one classroom to another during the ten-minute break but I miss my students� eager offer to help me.

@ Lindsey, I wish you the best of luck and a happy new start wherever you go!

21 Jun 2010     

ants
Switzerland

Hi Anita and everyone else,

Well, I miss my students and the fun we have in my little office.Hug
And I hope they miss me!!

I often work for a few weeks over the holidays giving Intensive English Courses to teens or adults. I think I �m a workaholic!!

I always make time to see friends over the holidays and do something for me but my mind is always ticking over and counting the days until I go back to work.

I �m never far from my computer...and love checking to see who is here at ESL Printables...finding good friends, laughing, sharing and caring. That �s the best part of the summer for me!!Wink
hugs,
Fiona

21 Jun 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I �m so close to a much needed holiday - that at the moment I won �t miss a thing.
My battery is really low and I need to charge it up to make it through the long Fall and Winter - sometimes it �s good to get away from something to appreciate it again.

summer vacation-  here I come! Smile

21 Jun 2010     

coyote.chus
Spain

Every summer I miss my students, mostly because I know that when I see them again in September they wil be so much taller and more mature. I miss SOME of my colleagues as well. I miss routine somehow. (the good part of it)
And this summer, for the first time, I will miss sitting at my computer after lunch, to download your lovely worksheets, and reading your posts in the forum.

21 Jun 2010     

stexstme
France

Big smileFeeling just like Libertybelle!!! Won �t miss anything.........Dead!! Two more weeks to go ( Will I be able to ???) I won �t miss getting up at 6.30, & be back home at 9pm - which has been the case for ten days now.Pinch
& then, 15 days before going back to school, I won �t be able to sleep, will prepare tons of ws, will phone my colleagues, will meet the kids in town, etc ...: I will miss them all A LOT!
LOL

21 Jun 2010     

1    2    3    Next >