Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Gosling or duckling    

Gosling or duckling

blunderbuster
Germany

Gosling or duckling

Hi,

Do you happen to know how you can tell a duckling from a gosling?

Regards

26 Jul 2010      

donapeter
Romania

you mean the difference between the two words? If so....a gosling is from a goose and a duckling from a duck.

26 Jul 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Dona,

I mean how you can tell the difference between the two actual animals, a duckling is the child of a duck and a gosling is the child of a goose.

If I have an activity with two different images of baby poultry, how can I tell which is which? I mean, they are both yellow, look fluffy, swim, are adorably cute. How do the different genes show on the outside?

;o)

26 Jul 2010     

donapeter
Romania

OMG....Beats me! Ermm 
Anyway...I think the beak makes the difference. But I cannot see any images : if I Google for "gosling" I get an actor or something ...over and over. No bird! 

26 Jul 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

I think it is the beak as well, the duck beak is longer and flatter, I am not sure, though, hence the question. 

26 Jul 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Out of interest I googled too and found nothing - it doesn �t appear to be a popular internet topic BB.  But I did come across an interesting question:  if a baby duck is a duckling and a baby goose is a gosling what is a baby turkey?  Well, I googled it and found it - it �s a poult. 

26 Jul 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

I know, Jayho. It �s just that I am making a decahedron and I only have nine farm animal babies.......

26 Jul 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Well, we need to talk_turkey  now. If the poult is out then the bunny should be too
(he he)

26 Jul 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

No bunny here, (baby bunny = kitten), too compliacted for kids...I think.

Sorry, turkeys, don �t hate me, you are on my adult animals ws ;o)

---- Edit: Jayho----that might just be it! Why not, I mean, it is certainly more different from a chick than a duckling from a gosling:

Hug

26 Jul 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Does that mean that the gosling is a gone goose and the poult is in?

26 Jul 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Do you really have to use gosling? Not that useful IMHO. 

There are so many others such as duckling, chick, puppy, kitten, foal (or colt), calf, piglet, kid, cub, lamb, joey, tadpole etc. Just an idea.

26 Jul 2010     

1    2    3    Next >