Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > PMs    

PMs

blunderbuster
Germany

PMs

Hi,

I have noticed that, more and more, people seem to share information via pm and not via the forum anymore. I was wondering why that might be. I mean, people write that they have sent a pm, but the people that receive the pm know anyway, because the pms open automatically upon refreshing or browsing the site.

Is this a new trend, am I missing something? Please enlighten me.

Regards

10 Sep 2010      

franknbea
United Kingdom

I �ll send you a PMLOL

I �m sure it �s just a case of temporary "he said, she said" syndrome

10 Sep 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

I find it frustrating also as sometimes I have the same problem as outlined in the forum and I can �t get to the answer.
Cheers Joy

10 Sep 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

I think there is nothing more annoying, redundant and selfish than to put a message "Sent you a PM" or "Check your PM" on the forum.

Like you say, if you send a PM, the person whom you sent it to will know as soon as they refresh the page or navigate the site.  It�s like phoning or texting someone to announce you�ve sent them a fax or email, but done in public. 

This kind of messages should simply be banned. Evil Smile

The only exception I would allow is when you�d like to insult someone. Putting "You�re an idiot" on the forum is in bad taste. You could always send a PM and draw extra attention to it by sharing this on the board. But then you should at least indicate what you said like "I sent you a PM to tell you what an &$#@^%^ you are!" Clown

10 Sep 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I have to apologise - I sometimes write those replies, but I never thought it would seem selfish or insulting. I just saw others do that, and thought it is the proper way to let people know this person has been helped, at least from my side. 
But I will tell you when I do that - when I �m sending links which are rather long and would distort the forum (and we know this has happened), or when I am answering a post question which is very commonly asked and I have lots of stuff noted down on it (and I do tend to write long posts, as you may have noticed), so I just think it would take up lots of space, or when sb asks for sth that needs to be e-mailed. I never do it for malicious purposes, because - frankly, I have better things to do than be malicious or sneaky. Sometimes, people even send me pms asking to share that with them as well, and I do. I �m really not trying to attack somebody or insult - that �s not what we �re here for. But perhaps you �re right - I will definitely reconsider next time...

10 Sep 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I can think of another reason why someone might do this.

If someone is in need of a ws pertaining to special topic - it �s almost criminal here to reply that one has just the ws needed because that would mean self-advertising !! 

People here scream and yell if you link to one of your own wss, even
if that is the answer to the problem.

It seems  it �s only allowed to link to outside pages on the net.

Therefore people send links to their stuff pr. PM and write so on the board, so others will know that help is on the way.

10 Sep 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Thank you, Libertybelle, that �s certainly true. That �s another reason.

10 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

You can refer to your work if it is related to the topic ;o)

10 Sep 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

I just sent a PM
To say
I love youuuuuu Heart

(I haven �t even touched alcohol I swear) Beer

10 Sep 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Philip... you �ll be getting a pm in about 5 seconds... press F5.

10 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Geez, you guys should really keep that private. Embarrassed All this semi-exclusive public hugging and kissing ....

But let�s not make a mockery of this thread, okay. I like how people are trying to look at things from the other person�s perspective.

10 Sep 2010     

1    2    Next >