Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Inappropriate WS    

Inappropriate WS

ELOJOLIE274
France

don �t want to sound like I approve, but we have no idea what kind of lesson plan goes with those worksheets...
maybe - that �s just my opinion - maybe the pupils watched a film (like Mississippi Burning) and the pupils had to sum up the arguments that were used to justify hate crimes... and maybe the final task could be "when you were young you belonged to the KKK, now you �ve realized how wrong you were and you decide to write a letter to a newspaper to explain what you used to think and why you now think racism is wrong"...
really i �m not approving of this worksheet, i wouldn �t download it, but we shouldn �t judge the author just on one/two ws... that �s why a ws is included in a lesson plan... right?
just my humble opinion though...
have a nice day!
Elodie

29 Sep 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

It �s been reported now. I don �t think it �s appropriate under any circumstances. Any conical heads think otherwise?

29 Sep 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Unfortunately, there�s no option to report these wss for being inappropriate and/or offensive, so I �ve chosen to report one of them for being only frames and therefore not being an ESL resource. If at all, it should have been uploaded in the section for templates.

There�s no real need for templates of this kind anyway, because ss could just write down the reasons in their notebooks.

BTW, I cannot see any conical heads around apart from yours, dearest Philip... Big smile

29 Sep 2010     

english-in-mind
Argentina

I�ve found the wss! they are reported and I can�t see much content! Just lines. Are you sure enough to report them? I can�t see the username either so how can I judge?

29 Sep 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Dear Carina,

Once a printable has been reported, you cannot access it anymore. Only the moderators can still open it in order to make the right decision. ;)

Have a nice day - Silke

29 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Honestly, I believe what is being judged here is the topic and people �s feelings towards it.

How can anyone judge the author �s teaching style, methodology or ability to turn this around?

I mean, I sometimes say things I don �t mean just to challenge students....

As far as I can see there is no reporting option for "inappropriate" and I wonder why (kidding).

29 Sep 2010     

fletsch
Canada

To answer blunderbuster, I would never teach anything to my students or put them in a position where they would have to give reasons why white people are better than black people (or any comparable situation involving an obvious sensitive issue concerning race or religion or sexual orientation, etc).  There are countless other way to challenge our students.  And there are many other ways to discuss the topic of the KKK and the effect on America.  It is just not professional in my opinion.  So, still inappropriate as far as I am concerned.   This is how I feel.

29 Sep 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

i �m sorry fletsch but i believe we �re judging this person �s way of teaching and i don �t like that... again, we have no idea of her lesson plan, we have no idea what was the purpose of this activity... that seems unfair to talk about her so much while she has no way of defending herself - i tried to send her a PM but the ws was already reported and i can �t remember her name...
I know many members found her ws inappropriate - that was my opinion as well - however we can �t say that is not "professional"...
just my humble opinion...
have a nice day!

29 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Fletsch, yesterday I saw a picture of some people standing around a donkey that had crashed under the enormous weight that had been put on its back......The people were laughing. That is where "inappropriate","stupid", "unacceptable" starts for me, if not much sooner. But...what does that tell me about the people standing around that poor donkey? How would I teach them? Maybe by doing the same thing to them.....

Maybe the teacher under discussion was supposed to show what a lesson should not be like in order to ensure success? Who knows, most of this discussion is still a hypocritical one, I don �t really mean you.

Regards

29 Sep 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

...most of this discussion is still a hypocritical one...

Exactly, Regina! That �s why I �ve already written this in the abuse reports page:

This ws is far away from saying that the KKK is a useful organisation. Maybe this is exactly what the user wanted to make their ss aware of? That there are no good reasons at all for statements such as "white people are better than black people"!! We don�t know anything about the original purpose of this ws yet, so I prefer to wait for the author to say something about it before I start to crucify her. ;))

Let �s wait for this member to state her reasons and perhaps the background!!

29 Sep 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >