Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Some ideas about how to start teaching ABSOLUTELY BEGINNERS..?! :O    

Some ideas about how to start teaching ABSOLUTELY BEGINNERS..?! :O

blindcolor
Spain

Some ideas about how to start teaching ABSOLUTELY BEGINNERS..?! :O

Hello everybody! :)

I would like to hear some ideas about teaching beginners... for example what should be on the first lesson???

Saturday I�ll start to teach 2 completely beginners and I want to see some good idea, ...  do you have any for me?

I would be happy, if yes...:)

Thanks forward for Your posts...

1 Dec 2008      

Twinkerbell
Portugal

Hello!Perhaps you could start by eliciting from them the words they already know in English. I know that in Spain you don�t normally use foreign words Smile, but perhaps there are some you use frequently. In Portugal we use lots of borrowed words. I normally brainstorm some or do a matching exercise (pictures to words). It is just a thought...Tongue Well, I�m studying Spanish now. I�m going to have an exam Confused Good luck for your firt lesson :-)

1 Dec 2008     

blindcolor
Spain

I�ve already teached English before, but this will be a lesson, where students are beginners... they know only YES and NO... :) But Thanks for your picture-matching-idea, thats good...I�ll use it!!! Thanks again! :)  Good luck for your exam too...

1 Dec 2008     

eng789
Israel

How old are they?    If you know their names in advance you can make up folded cards for them to decorate.  Have them practice writing their names.  Teach them the head and shoulders song. 
 Do they have any knowledge at all like  the alphabet?   I make up a set of alphebet cards.   I pass them out to the kids so that each has the same amount.  There are 26 letters so if I have 13 each get 2  but if I have 9 then each get 2 and I hold onto the extras.  I say the abc�s in order and when they hear the letter they are holding they have to show it to me.  If someone makes a mistake you take all  his cards.  When you have enough to give each player another then you do.  You will eventually get to 2 kids each holding 13 cards.  The winner is the one that doesn�t get confused when I say the letters.  I usually give them some kind of treat.  www.abcteach.com   has some free stuff for beginners.

1 Dec 2008     

Twinkerbell
Portugal

Upps!Sorry...perhaps I wasn�t clear enough :-) I know it is your student�s first lesson and not yours Smile What I wanted to say is that if you use borrowed words in Spanish, you could try to elicit form them the words they are already familiar with or that are similar to EnglishTongue For example, in Portugal we use "Ice tea", futebol (football),"scan" a document, we ask for a "McChicken" at McDonalds or for a "Sunday"ice cream, etc... It normally works for me Tongue And thanks!

1 Dec 2008     

blindcolor
Spain

They are not kids, ... its about a married couple,... Their kids are in London and they want to make a surprise for them,  that they know something about English language. Thats the whole truth!! :) Maybe I should take pictures about London, or... something like this... Any idea?

1 Dec 2008     

eng789
Israel

If they are adults , teach them how to communicate.  Hello, how are you?  I am fine.  I would like a cup of coffee.  Where is the WC?  Thank you.  Excuse me.  Nice to meet you.  How much does this cost?  Talk about food and how to order.  etc

1 Dec 2008     

blindcolor
Spain

Okey, that�ll be wonderful!! :)

Thanks a lot!

1 Dec 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

I would teach them the basic units of communication (name, age, procedence, etc) and ask them to repeat these structures several times by using different strategies, that is, drillings, listening, information gap exercises, etc. Once they begin to fix the structures in mind (and tongue!!!) , they�ll learn and use some  others easily.

1 Dec 2008     

paulammribeiro
Portugal

Hi,
I have some experience teaching adults that know nothing about EnGLISH.
I can tell you that I think that small dialogues are the best way for them to learn.
You can start by choosing  topic (try to choose something that will be helpfull on the daily basis like: personal ID, Greetings; Asking directions,; Going to the restaurant, the supermarket, etc...) and then.... you teach them vocabulary and building sentences as you explain the dialogues. This is also a good way to make them speak and form sentences (because you should always make them build similar dialogues and you can help them by giving reference words that they must use in the dilogue).

I�ve tried several types of exercises and strategies with many many adults and I can tell you that, when their purpose is to learn English to really use it and not just for school or college....this strategy is a good way to go. It
gave me the best results.

Hope you  have great results too.

See you

1 Dec 2008     

blindcolor
Spain

Thank you for your message!!! :)

1 Dec 2008     

1    2    Next >