Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The elderly    

The elderly

Zora
Canada

Hi, I was going to answer last night but I was too tired...

I �d only like to add that many old people opt for retirement homes because - it�s nice to be with others that have lived through the same things as you and can relate to them. Family can�t. It�s as simple as this sometimes. We forget that our parents had a whole other life before us and we can�t relate to what they lived through - and - what they are living through at the moment.

Family is nice - but family can also be stifling and an old person often feels like their freedom has been taken away and now they are a) babysitters or house maids - or b) somebody that is now "useless" because everybody has a "life" and they are now depending on others to look after them. I am sure there are wonderful families out there but we often forget that our parents were once young, they experienced things that we will never experience and when they talk to us, it �s not the same as chatting with someone who has...

Think about our profession - isn�t it nice to talk to other teachers that understand us??? I often rant to my mom about my day and she listens and agrees, but my boyfriend is also a teacher and he totally gets why I am upset... it�s so different and nice. So I get why old people like these places, it�s full of people that have lived. People that understand them, people who have their same problems, people they can relate to...

People should be with people their own age... i.e. children need other children to play with to grow, teenagers the same... adults need to be with adults... and old people need to be with people "who get them"... or in other words, other "old" people (btw, my mom would kill me if she saw me calling her old LOL ) ....

Anyways, sorry for the long post but I just wanted to say that when a parent wants to go to a retirement home, it might possibly be for a good reason and we should respect them - they are adults too and have lived longer than we have...  Smile

3 Nov 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi all, like Linda, I called it a day yesterday night and went to bed. It �s good to see how we may not agree in some cases but still have had a nice exchange of opinions, respecting one another!  If I get to be old(er) :-) I �d like to live in a home with people my age, I �d like to be healthy as I am now thanks God, and I �d love to have the money to pay for it and be independent ... but that is not what happens in most cases. Money may be a reason why the elderly have to stay with the younger generations, at least here in the south of America, but the worst is if you are sick ... goodbye independence,  and an old sick person won �t enjoy being with people his/her age... in fact, there �s not much he/she would enjoy... and that is the most common. Anyway, thank you, Yolanda, for bringing this up. It was interesting to talk to others about this. Gotta go to work. Have a nice Wednesday.  Hug  to all .

3 Nov 2010     

adelina81
Bulgaria

I also agree with Zora - it is a cultural issue! Here, in Bulgaria people look after their old relatives, because on one hand, it is right to do so. But on the other hand, if retirement homes in Bulgaria were nice, clean and welcoming, then people would change their mind.

3 Nov 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3