Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The value of work    

The value of work

frenchfrog
France

The value of work

I am breaking my promise but, like Linda yesterday, I really need to get this off my chest.

Can you explain to me how a simple frame / border with absolutely no activity in English can be considered as an ESL resource because I really don�t get it!!!! This frame / border could be used in scrapbooking for instance, or for a photograph�

1) I think it is insulting towards (new) members who spend quite some time on their worksheets (and who sometimes do not get all the points they should deserve) and who see that other members chose the easiest way (i.e. a few seconds to paste a frame / border in a Word document).

2) Most of the time these frames and borders are available elsewhere on the net �for free�!!! You can download some for free from Microsoft Office Online for instance (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/clipart/FX101321031033.aspx?pid=CL100570201033 + type a keyword in the search bar). So not only are these frames / borders not ESL resources, but they are also �stolen materials� in a way!

3) Some members regularly give links to sites with nice cliparts, borders and frames in the forum, so keep an eye on it! If you can�t find the post(s), write a new one to ask for help and you will see many members ready to help you.

4) If it is not possible (but it is possible actually!! Many worksheets are here to prove it) to have both form and content, I prefer content to form.

I have kept this message and will paste it whenever I see a single frame / border with no activity in English uploaded. I will report the printable as a non ESL resource (and hope I will not be the only one).

I am always ready to help but you have to help me too!!!

Frenchfrog

8 Dec 2008      

Im Lety
Mexico

You are right...Most people do it to get the 30 free points...I desagree to receive 30 point each day...Since you become a premium member,  you get lazy and down load others worksheets and dont have to worry because you know you will have 30 worksheets for free forever...I have seen lots of new members desperate to get those points...And you go to their pages and find poor material in there...The same happens with some people who only have frames...Or people who ask for material to finish their work, essays or whatever they need that is related with teaching but has nothing to do with this page and the material we work on, here...This page is wonderfull but is becoming a mess...Stern Smile

8 Dec 2008     

hknong
Italy

I�m with you 100%!!!!Clap

8 Dec 2008     

nebo_Londona
Russian Federation

Good time of the day to you!
I�ve read all this thread and want to express my point of view too. I can�t see anything bad in posting materials taken from other sites. But pleaaaseeeee PUT THE SOURCE OR THE BOOK YOU USED!!! I am only a week on this wonderful place but I�ve already seen a looot of copies from books and from other websites. So please don�t keep silence!!It is really unpleasant when you see a copy from Project 1 (exercises from the Workbook) or copies from different timesavers! It is good if you did it for us (because it is not really simple to find a topic you need in a huge book or site). But pleaseee be honest!!Tell us where you got it!!E. g. I was really glad when I saw one WS yesterday (unfortunatele I don�t remember the author). In its desocription she (or he) gave the link to the site from which she took the information. Why not? We do it every day  - I mean we copy WSs and past and edit them in our own way...So pease tell us the source! Be honest please  in front of yourselves and in front of your colleagues!!

8 Dec 2008     

frenchfrog
France

I am in such a bad mood today!!! Angry

Nebo Londona, you are extremely talented!!! You have invented all these Christmas tongue twisters!!! If you haven�t, well ... you did not mention the source...
It is not always possible to mention the source. In your case, your Christmas tongue twisters can be found on different sites.

8 Dec 2008     

nebo_Londona
Russian Federation

you revealed me)) You know in the internet it is not always possible to find the author of something. I am sure that when you created your beautiful WSs and presentations you also took some ideas from several authors. So what�s the point? Of course I didn�t invented them!!!I am not a native speaker! But I chose those related to Christmas and published them! Why not? If so many people said THANX to me!!!They could preview all of them and print without DLing too! But it is easier for them to take it! It was easier for me to DL some frames then to search through the net! I just have no time for it! I went to my favourite site and DLed what I needed!!I helped someone to get points!!What�s wrong with it? I am more then sure that there are really few original works here!!! Almost all of them are compiled from different books or resources!! Again - Why not???why not to choose the most interesting and the best and to put it in your WS in order to help? I repeat  - it is really difficult to find the real authors in the internet!!If you have time to do it - go ahead!!)))

8 Dec 2008     

frenchfrog
France

The topic of the post was about frames and borders only. If Victor had wanted to create a website with borders and cliparts, he would have done it. He chose to do something more challenging: to gather and share ESL resources (and in ESL, the E means ENGLISH!!!)
I totally agree with you that we (I included!!) get our inspiration from somewhere. I try to mention the source whenever I can, but sometimes I can�t (like the picture I used a few days ago in my printable. I don�t remember where I got it). I hope I did not offend you. It was not my intention.

8 Dec 2008     

nebo_Londona
Russian Federation

No you didn�t offend me and I am really glad to meet a SHE-frenchfrog)) Frankly speaking, I am just trying to understand the main rules of publishing and creating WSs. Now it is more clear for me! Thanx a lot))

8 Dec 2008     

victor
Spain

I agree with FrenchFrog.

If you find a website with nice frames you should give the link in the forum.
Moreover, if you upload a worksheet with a frame and nothing else, and the frame is taken from a clipart, it will considered stolen (there is nothing in the printable created by you), and your account could be removed if someone reports the original source.
In order to make things clear, I will include some directions in the "send a printable" page: which printables should be uploaded and which ones shouldn�t.

8 Dec 2008     

frenchfrog
France

To Nebo Londona: I am glad I did not offend you. And I understand that for a new member it is not that easy to see what you can and what you cannot do. Some things are really tempting! If you have a question, you can always send a message to me and I will be happy to help you (if I can!).

To Victor: Thank you so much for your help and for clarifying things!

Frenchfrog

8 Dec 2008     

mildredpierce
France

I also agree with Frenchfrog, je suis d�accord!!! The thing is, sometimes you spend hours thinking about ESLresources, and create a nice personal and original ws, yet people seem to download frames much more than "real" ws... Thank you Victor for being so clear!
Anyway, it�s always the same ambiguity between offer and demand.... It reminds me of TV programmes... People tend to watch stupid shows, and complain about their bad quality...Don�t you think so?
Have a nice day, fellow teachers!

8 Dec 2008     

1    2    Next >