Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What īs the most peculiar thing about people īs mentality in your country?    

What īs the most peculiar thing about people īs mentality in your country?

chud
Israel

What īs the most peculiar thing about people īs mentality in your country?

I suggest that we share impressions on this subject. So we learn smth. new about behavioral codes in different countries.

IN ISRAEL

One of the most touching things I īve experienced (not once) was:

Imagine two women (who īre total strangers) sitting next to one another in a bus. One of them doesn īt want to waste time doing nothing, so she takes a tube of a hand cream out of her bag, and the first thing she does is to offer some cream to a woman sitting next to her!!!

The same thing happens with snacks: if smb. opens some snack, he/she often offers some to a person sitting next to him/her. Handshake

Isn īt it sweet?

28 Dec 2010      

zagoracity
Morocco

I agree with Mrs Chud.It is very touching to feel these things around while we feel unable to follow this example.However,it is very heartbreaking to watch totally "splendid       firework"offered to Ghaza kids IN ISRAEL! How ironical  is reality out there! Is  burning innocent kids with phosphoric bombs  what you call "behavioral code"??? Instead of lending a hand of help to them in terms of health care service and schooling,Israeli soldiers break kids � bones and even "pee" over them.
            In Morocco,precisely the village in which i was born ,Moroccan Jews and Moslims coexisted in all different aspects of life  in terms of trade,neighbourhood,cooperation and mutual respect.Moroccans still respect those inherited values from its deep-rooted  civilisation.
            Moslims.Christians and Moroccan Jews practise their religious rituals in a very peaceful way.For example,There are few churches across the country.Moroccan Jews from all over the world come to their home country ,Morocco, in order to practise their annual rituals  such as "Hayloula" in cities like Taroudant,Marrakech and Essouira.
            These are the real values Israeli people should learn to co-habite with palestinians.Difference is the spice of Democracy and  the latter is the seed of  Humanity! You can teach these values to kids in your country.There is still time to change.

Isn īt that sound?  Handshake

28 Dec 2010     

zagoracity
Morocco

I agree with Mrs Chud.It is very touching to feel these things around while we feel unable to follow this example.However,it is very heartbreaking to watch totally "splendid       firework"offered to Ghaza kids IN ISRAEL! How ironical  is reality out there! Is  burning innocent kids with phosphoric bombs  what you call "behavioral code"??? Instead of lending a hand of help to them in terms of health care service and schooling,Israeli soldiers break kids � bones and even "pee" over them.
            In Morocco,precisely the village in which i was born ,Moroccan Jews and Moslims coexisted in all different aspects of life  in terms of trade,neighbourhood,cooperation and mutual respect.Moroccans still respect those inherited values from its deep-rooted  civilisation.
            Moslims.Christians and Moroccan Jews practise their religious rituals in a very peaceful way.For example,There are few churches across the country.Moroccan Jews from all over the world come to their home country ,Morocco, in order to practise their annual rituals  such as "Hayloula" in cities like Taroudant,Marrakech and Essouira.
            These are the real values Israeli people should learn to co-habite with palestinians.Difference is the spice of Democracy and  the latter is the seed of  Humanity! You can teach these values to kids in your country.There is still time to change.

Isn īt that sound?  Handshake

28 Dec 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

dear zagoracity,
please remember that we should not express political views on this forum... your remarks may offend people here, and that īs not something anyone wants...
Chud īs post was positive, and even though we all have strong opinions about what īs happening in Israel and Palestine, this is not the place to talk about that...
have a nice day ;)

28 Dec 2010     

roneydirt
United States

There are some townships in Israel where the three major religions co-exist zagoracity.  It is the militant arm in it īs government that is problematic and sadly aided by some radicals in my country only because of a theory about the destruction of a special temple.

On a different note.  For those in Isreal have a question.  There was a school district that took their history books and put both the Jewish and Palenstein versions of what was going on with a blank space in between for the students to write their opinions after reading both sides of the story.  The leaders of the district were ordered to go before the government to explain themselves.  I was wondering if they were able to keep those history books.  As a history teacher I applaud it, having both sides of the story to let the students decide for themselves what was more fact from fiction. 

As for offerering food on a bus or train I think for the most part it doesn īt happen as much.  Media has spread too much fear of our neighbors.

28 Dec 2010     

ellakass
Israel

It īs not the place to discuss who is to blame.The palestinians � bombs are falling on peaceful cities.There are kids there too.So many terrorist attacts all over the world. Who is to blame?

28 Dec 2010     

zagoracity
Morocco

Dear Roneydirt, You are pretty objective! I am not a politician! I am a teacher of English.My duty as a teacher ranges from teaching students the language to raising their awareness to accepting others � values and difference.Mrs Chud suggested discussing the topic of " Behavioral code".This is very positive in the sense that we have clearer ideas about certain things.Discussion clears up the sky of silence.So I have given my opinion.I am open to different opinions.This is a good value to teach our students.How can we teach them this value while we TEACHERS don īt accept it in the first place??? isn īt a behavioral code that we should teach our students???

28 Dec 2010     

crisholm
Spain

I do not know how Chud īs very nice post about women sharing the little comforts of life got into this bitter argument. I īm afraid you are mixing things up just because of her nationality.

28 Dec 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I totally hate when people state what they think are 1st hand facts and are really second or third hand rumors.Angry

Zagoracity
- you live in Morocco - not Palestine.

I find it discriminating  that you write those remarks just because Chud is from Israel.
Would you have written the same answer if the person starting this topic was from
Belgium?
Why are you generalizing?  Thoughts like yours perpetuate hate and discrimination.

You have totally ruined a perfectly sweet topic with your acidic remarks.

28 Dec 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

In order to get this thread back on track I would like to share with you something I witnessed here on this very forum not too long ago.
Unfortunately, I didn īt save the thread to show as testament but it really did move me at the time.
There was a desperate plea for help from a member from Saudi Arabia, the exact request is not important, but the member īs request had gone unanswered until it was the very last post in the forum and was surely about to disappear when I checked again and the request had been answered.
Not only answered but with great eloquence and expertise and the member answering the question even offered to send the requesting member their own work on the subject by private message. 
I know this kind of thing happens many times in a day on this great site but what touched me most is that the person helping the member from Saudi Arabia was a member from Israel.
I didn īt comment on it at the time for fear that my thread maybe be mistaken as political and start the same kind of finger wagging that has taken over this thread, but seen as though it īs already happened here, I figured it would be a good time to bring it up.

There can īt be many places in the real or virtual world where sworn enemies are ready, willing and able to help each other as they do day in and day out on this site.

and now a little message for monsieur zagoracity, the reason they do is because this site is primarily for sharing teaching experiences and not religio/politico opinions, if you catch my drift. When one has such strong opinions on behavioral code, one should observe the behavioral code of the medium one is using before totally disregarding it and launching into a diatribe of personal beliefs.

28 Dec 2010     

chud
Israel

I can hardly believe what has become of my innocent post. I didn īt mean that! My post had no political subtext, I swear! Anyway, I īm not going to let Mr.zagoracity to drag me into this argument. By the way, I am not sure at all that his declarations are based on the profound familiarity with a history of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I don īt think he can see from where he is what we can see from here... As for me, I strongly believe that English as an international language should be used to connect people rather than do divide them, and this amazing forum has proved that it īs possible. If you ask me, I am ready to offer to, as well as to accept help from any willing member of the forum, no matter what are his religious or political views.   

28 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >