Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What are most common New Year Traditions in your country?    

What are most common New Year Traditions in your country?

Mar0919
Mexico

What are most common New Year Traditions in your country?

Hello All!!!! Mmm, I was thinking about some traditions we have here in Mexico that people do on New Year �s Eve, many actually DO believe in this ( I don �t, I guess I �m grinch! LOL)

There are many more, but these are the most common; do you care to share what people do in your countries? It �ll be interesting to know... and it might even be a good topic for a worksheet!!!

Mexican Traditions:
12 grapes: Each person must eat them right before 12 midnight, one per each �dong� of the clock striking the last 12 seconds of the hour, and making a wish as you eat each grape.

To eat lentils: It is supposed to attract fortune and prosperity. You should eat this dish before eating the main dish for supper.

Using colored underwear:
Yellow: will bring you money & fortune, Red: will bring you Love�

Hugs to all!!!

30 Dec 2010      

dagn
France

Hello!
In the south east of France, we "must" eat 13 desserts to bring good luck!!!
Some traditions are really good...
Best wishes for 2011!

30 Dec 2010     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Hello!Here in Portugal we have the tradition of weang something blue underwear.it supposedly is good for our next year and will bring us luck....
in our love life!We eat grapes and think of 12 wishes before it strikes midnight.
Other funny thing...some of us jump to a hair and wave a bill so that the New year brings financial luck.
When it �s midnight people sort out their tins and make lots of noise!Everyone greets one another with a kiss and drinks champagne making a toast,,,,
Happy New Year!

30 Dec 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

They do the 12 grapes thing here in Spain too - but I �m afraid it �s a tradition that fades spectacularly when compared to the genuine article: a Scottish Hogmanay! It �s no coincidence that the one song which echoes round the world �s time-zones at midnight on the 31st December is Rabbie Burns � �Auld Lang Syne � in all its wonderful variations and mispronunciations.

The traditions are too many to list but there �s some good information here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogmanay.

Altogether now...

Should auld acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind...

30 Dec 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you ALL  for sharing! How interesting!

Dagn, what a yummy traditon! Any kind of dessert will do, or are there any special desserts for this tradition? hehehe... good excuse to gain a little weight!

Almaz, thank you for the link, very interesting!

Let �s see who else shares their traditions!!!

30 Dec 2010     

mariannina
Italy

As Almaz said, there are lots of traditional "rites", a peculiar one in Italy is eating lentils, because it �s believed that they will bring money.
Well, I �m still waiting LOL

30 Dec 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

LOL!!! no wonder after the holidays, people always complain they have gained weight! All that eating we do, but, hey, it �s once a  year!!!

30 Dec 2010     

mariannina
Italy

Mar, in Italy there are many holidays...once a year! CryLOL

31 Dec 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

LOLThumbs Up  Yep! you �re right, Mariannina! I kind of "forgot" the other once-a-year holidays!!!

31 Dec 2010     

pauguzman
Argentina

in Argentina most of women wear pink underwear for good luck.LOL

31 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Paula I don �t believe you! ;-)

31 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >