Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Corrections: I īm sooooooooooo fed up ...     

Corrections: I īm sooooooooooo fed up ...

silvia.patti
Italy

@mariannina: I know what you say, it īs the same with my students (11-13 years old)

I often don īt write anything on the tests, because my students are interested in marks and not in mistakes. So I usually say the marks loudly so that everyone can hear, then I hope they look at their papers and mistakes (but most of them don īt!!!). This year I have only 7 photocopies for each student (and I have to do about 10 tests...) so I can īt give them extra exercises or remedial works... I do what I can

6 Jan 2011     

belksau
Portugal

I would never correct writing tests!  

My students always do their writing on every second line.  I then write codes on the written line (normally in the margin but for younger ones over the mistake)  e.g. ww=wrong word exw=extra word gr=grammar etc. I give students the code list at the beginning of the year. The students have to find the mistake and write the correction on the line above, always leaving the original text intact.  The writing is then passed back to me, if I don īt tick the correction they have to try again, and again and again!  You īll be surprised how quickly the recurring mistakes stop.  This is a technique used for higher levels but I have used it with all levels and with learners as young as 8.  

Corrections can be done in pairs, small groups or as homework.  

My favourite code is �? � = I have no idea what you are trying to say

6 Jan 2011     

Mariethe House
France

http://www.virtualsalt.com/comments.htm

http://virtualsalt.com/teachtip.htm

7 Jan 2011     

Jayho
Australia

I use correction codes - takes the grief out of marking. 

Anyway, thereīs a heap of articles about corrections including some good ones here and  here .

Cheers

Jayho

7 Jan 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Elderberrywine, and rest of the colleagues... wow, I thought I was the only one going through that frustration. I actually did sometimes think it was me, or why the heck did they not even BOTHER to read my corrections of notes I left on their work.

BUT... you want to hear something worse? The principal at my school is more interested in numbers, in statistics, in "pretending"... than in real learning. That is, she does not want teachers to report failing students. She asks us to look for different "strategies" (although we have done everything humanly possible with them) but do not fail a student, as this makes us look bad as an institution.

She sets goals for the school to reach as a whole, which means percentages of the highest grade in X subject, etc. So, poor us, if we dare to fail a ss and bring our grade down! And the worst thing is that our ss know this! So, they don īt care, because they know we īre "not allowed" to fail them. They don īt do homework, they don īt pass the exams, they don īt bring their material to work in class... oh! and the discipline is awful!!!!

So... yes, I know what you mean about spending OUR OWN PERSONAL time (vacation, break, etc) correcting and marking papers that only we think are important. When I send an exam home to be signed by the parents, so they can acknowledge their baby got a failing grade, I expect them to call and make an appointment to speak to me. The least they can do is ground their kid and have some kind of punishment at home, but I ask what did your mother/father say? Oh, nothing!

So, dear colleagues, just breathe deep, and keep up the good work!!!

7 Jan 2011     

dturner
Canada

This is a universal problem it seems, and occurs everywhere in the world.  There have been some very good suggestions from the teacher īs above me.  I think with your permission, I īm going to present the various comments to our staff at our next staff meeting.  You may be surprised that the comments and frustrations above are felt by all of us everywhere.  I think using some of the suggestions presented above, we must learn to work smarter.  If a student doesn īt care about their corrections, then maybe they should not be given a mark (at first).  One teacher I know has her students do corrections as well as reflections.  Students look through their papers and lists areas of strengths and weaknesses and then once the corrections and/or reflections are handed in, the teacher will show the mark to the student.  It īs worth a try!

7 Jan 2011     

Errie
Japan

Dear Mar,

This is a problem that occurs in many other countries too. The only thing the principal does is cover her own Censored. If stastistics, numbers and you name it fail than she can pack her bags and leave. She knows that and many others out there too and they are sooooo scared to lose his/her job right?. It īs pretty sick if you think about it.
Many kids don īt know what really happens behind the scenes of course but they DO know that if they make a bad test it īs not the end of the world. What īs the result of that?....... a lack of interest and it has a huge influence on the kids behavior.
Many of them never look at the comments/notes you īve written down simply because they know they will not fail anyway.

I īll refuse to take a deep breath and go straight to the principal and tell him/her that this is ridiculous. Why?....because I don īt want to waste my spare time for this kinda nonsense!. They will disagree of course but that īs not my problem. I īll tell them straight in their face that they have a respondsibility towards their job and most important towards the students. If they want to fire me....go ahead. I can find another job in no time.

7 Jan 2011     

reeta1
Canada

Two things:

I met a teacher once who used post-it notes. She would type up the comments on her computer, set the print option to post-it-note (or whatever the margin was) and then the comment would just print out and she would paste it to the student īs work. She could save the comments and just add or delete when she wanted.

I was told that written comments are the least effective form of feedback because students don īt bother to read them or follow them. It īs better to have a student-teacher conference.

7 Jan 2011     

douglas
United States

I knew a teacher once that had all of the repeated feedback items on a list he would copy and give to the students.  When correcting papers he would just right hte number from the list.

It actually seemed to work pretty well and saved LOTS of time.

douglas

7 Jan 2011     

elderberrywine
Germany

douglas, I īve thought about that too
Do you mean something like:
1 - position of adverb
2 - simple form, not progressive form
3 - 3rd person s
?

7 Jan 2011     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >