Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Opposite of dangerous    

Opposite of dangerous

apayala
Spain

Opposite of dangerous

Maybe a silly question, but, which is the opposite of dangerous when referring to animals?
calm?
meek?
docile?

Embarrassed I don�t know...

6 Jan 2011      

Mar0919
Mexico

I think "tame" could fit in here....

6 Jan 2011     

yanogator
United States

Yes, I agree with "tame".

Bruce

6 Jan 2011     

apayala
Spain

Thanks a lot! Hug

6 Jan 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Doesn �t tame infer intervention? Docile would be my choice.

6 Jan 2011     

yanogator
United States

"Docile" is also a good choice. If you think about it, though, Ed, I think you �ll realize that you have heard people talk about tame squirrels in their yard, and similar situations (although the squirrels would be because of living close to humans, but not necessarily direct intervention/interaction).

Bruce

6 Jan 2011     

apayala
Spain

Shocked a cat is tamer than a lion or a cat is more docile than a lion?
Which one would you choose then?....

6 Jan 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

I think both can be used, to infer the same meaning, depending on the situation.

"There were lots of tame animals in the zoo, some were more docile than others..."

6 Jan 2011     

Jayho
Australia

I agree with Ed.  A tour guide once told me that untrained wild animals that were used to humans, fearless of humans, were not classed as tame.  The tour guide didn�t give a word to describe this but I guess docile fits well.  For example, in our zoo you can walk through enclosures that contain non-dangerous native animals such as kangaroos.  These kangaroos have not been trained in any way but they are used to people constantly trailing through the enclosure. They are docile animals.

However, in teaching, we usually just teach tame as the opposite of wild.

Cheers

Jayho

6 Jan 2011     

valentinaper
Greece

Another suggestion, although on a more general level, would be "harmless". I mean, if it �s not going to hurt you...

7 Jan 2011     

tancredo
Portugal

What about innofensive animals?

7 Jan 2011     

1    2    Next >