Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Free antivirus programs    

Free antivirus programs

colibrita
United Kingdom

Free antivirus programs

Hi Everyone, Happy New Year!

Can anyone recommend me a good free antivirus program other than Avast?

Thanks!

Colibrita

10 Jan 2011      

kmochniak
Poland

Hi,

I recommend Avira as it has got the biggest database of new viruses. I have been using it for a while and I �ve never encountered any problems.

Hugs,

Kasia

10 Jan 2011     

magneto
Greece

Hello!

I use AVG Free and, so far, I �m satisfied...Of course, I �ve got to tell you that I generally don �t visit websites which may often be attacked by malware (such as facebook, etc.), so I don �t know how it works for people who visit such pages.

Cheers!

magneto

10 Jan 2011     

foreverjinxed
South Africa

I �ve run AVG in the past, but now use Avast because it �s the best. The virus blocker only pops up when I visit dodgy sites (like free download sites, in which case, the antivirus blocks the threat, and I navigate away from the page) the virus blocker has NEVER popped up on Facebook, though. Facebook can only get nasty when one clicks on silly ads.

10 Jan 2011     

gloriawpai
Brazil

I use Avast and Spybot, you can download them for free. One complements another.

10 Jan 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Why do you say �other than avast � ? I don �t understand computers and avast is what I �m using, should I be worried?

10 Jan 2011     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Thanks for the recommendations, folks! Marion, no, don �t worry, there �s nothing wrong with Avast, I was just interested to know what else is out there.

Why are there so many jerks in hyperspace who want to trash our computers?Angry

10 Jan 2011     

baiba
Latvia

I use Avast and it works like a charm!

10 Jan 2011     

boydegg
Thailand

Magneto

You have AVG for free? I was using it for free for a few years and then they contacted me telling me I had to pay if I wanted to continue ... so I bought a 1 year subscription.

It ran out a few months ago, but I didn �t bother re-newing it since this computer is on its last legs anyway. Which reminds me - I really ought to do another backup soon.

Brian

10 Jan 2011     

-eva
Spain

Malwarebytes is quite good too, and free, of course. I would recommend you do a total scan of your computer. Ccleaner too, to get rid of cookies and temporary files you don �t  need.
Another good program is Spywareblaster. I �ve tried them all as I got infected about a month ago when I was trying to download an antivirus which was a trojan itself and then a trojan remover, which was another trojan... I almost wanted to die!!
good luck

10 Jan 2011     

magneto
Greece

@Boydegg: There �s a free edition available on the site (http://www.avg.com/eu-en/search). You will be redirected here and it doesn �t have all the features of AVG Internet Security 2011, but it works fine for me.

@Foreverjinxed: I don �t know how Facebook works, as I refuse to create an account there, but according to this, there are active threats in it...However, as I �ve already said, I don �t use it anyway, so maybe you �ve got a point about it being dangerous only if you click on the ads there...Don �t know, reallyEmbarrassed All I �m saying is, I only visit certain web pages (and I �m definitely not e-savvy), so, as far as my use of the Net is concerned, AVG does the job for me. I don �t know if it would be as effective if I visited other sites.

10 Jan 2011     

1    2    Next >