Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > ideas for fun lessons for 5-6 year-olds    

ideas for fun lessons for 5-6 year-olds

occurin�
Spain

ideas for fun lessons for 5-6 year-olds

Hi,

I have to make about 10 lessons for groups of 5-6 year-olds. Does anyone have any super-duper suggestions for fun lessons and games that they have tried and have enjoyed using?

The objective is purely to have a nice, fun time in the classroom (they are just extra-curricular activities). There is no syllabus, and no need to study grammar. The point is only to use English in an enjoyable way. My problem is that I really don �t have much experience with children younger than 9, and it �s been quite difficult for me.

We have done bingo which was OK. Dominoes was a bit complicated. We don �t really have too much space to move around in the classroom for games.

Good ideas for easy communicative activities would be much appreciated. They know numbers and colours, a few animals, but little else.

I know I am asking a favour; I will be happy to help anyone else on this forum whenever I can.

Thanks in advance,
Occurin.

3 Mar 2011      

thedropper
Japan

A fun way to teach young children when they don �t have a lot of space to move around is to give them something to pass instead.  A game I like involves passing two balls while music plays and when it stops the two students with the ball have to do a short dialogue such as "How are you?"  "I �m great!"  You can do this with flashcards as well.  Also, if you have cards with pictures and the students can sit in small groups around their desks you can play a game that is called �Karuta � in Japanese.  For example, if you have pictures of animals you can review the vocabulary.  Then with the cards spread out face up on the desks, you can make sentences including the name of an animal "I was walking down the street when suddenly I saw an elephant."  and when they hear the animals name they try to slap the card as quickly as possible.  At the end you can have each student say the name of the animals they collected throughout the game. 
I hope these ideas help!

3 Mar 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

First school website is full of activities in link with holidays, stories and different topics.

3 Mar 2011     

occurin�
Spain

Thank you, those are excellent ideas, exactly what I was looking for.

Karuta should be very useful because it helps them to have a moment of quiet. The dialogue idea sounds fun, but might be quite hard for them this year.

Everyone has their one special activity which always works: mine is "draw a monster" where the teacher dictates "5 heads", "seven arms" etc, and the students have to draw it. What �s your best activity, anyone?

3 Mar 2011     

occurin�
Spain

Thanks manonski, those are good materials for young children; something for a similar age but ESL specific but would be perfect.

3 Mar 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

First of all, I use stuff from First School in an ESL context. It �s also how you use it that makes it ESL specific.

Here are some websites

4 Mar 2011     

kmochniak
Poland

Hi,

For the following exercises you will need about 6 flashcards (FCs)with things unknown to Ss. Pieces of clothing work well here, like tie, bow tie, collar, etc. and a piece of rope or something like that (optional)

1. Show each flashcard, say a word, Ss don �t repeat yet, they only have to show where the thing is worn. As you �re doing it, put each flashcard on the floor/table (Ss must see them all)
2. A volunteer comes to you and points 1 flashcard. They you walk past all of them and when you are near the one pointed by the S, the group must shout STOP. Then you stop and say the name of that flashcard (again they don �t repeat).
3. Pick the FCs from the floor/table show one by one and say the words again, Ss repeat this time. 
4. Sit in a circle if you can, show a FC, volunteers call the FC and show where you wear that thing. When they get the name right, you put the card picture down on the floor/table. When all the pics are on the floor (Pic down), show where you wear a certain thing and Ss try to guess the position of the FC that you mean (e.g. you mime a tie and they have to guess where the picture of a tie is)
5. Pick all FCs from the floor/table. Show a FC and say a word, if the name you said is correct they clap their hands, if it �s not correct(show tie, say bow tie or something) they say "boooo" and give the correct answer.
6. Put a piece of rope on the floor (or just tell stodents to stand in a row one behind another facing you). Put FCs on both sides of the rope. Say a word, students jump on the side of the rope where the picture is (if a hat is on the left, they jump on the left, much space is not necessary here, but make sure they understand that they don �t have to run to the picture, just on the side where the pic is).
7. Divide Ss into 2 teams, the stand in 2 rows one behind the other facing you (I think it �s called Chinese Whispers or grape-vine something). The first from each team comes to you, you tell them a name of a thing (e.g. boots), they come back to their team and pass that word to the next person (whispering in their ear), they continue passing the word whispering until the last person in the team hears it. Then they call STOP, they come to you, they pick a FC with that thing and they say what it is. If they are right, they team gets a point (possibly give each team a different word. Otherwise they are going to kill each other to get to the flashcard:))
8. You can also take a white sheet of paper, cover a FC and start to reveal it very slowly, Ss have to guess what it is asap.
9. A different exercise which works well with numbers: Ss count from 1-10. At the beginning they crouch and they slowly stand up (number 10 is jumping and shouting) and of course they do the opposite from 10 to 1. They may also start counting whispering and finish it shouting (they love it!)

Hope to have been of some help. 

Hugs,

Kasia

4 Mar 2011     

kmochniak
Poland

I �m writing just to make my loong post disappear:)

4 Mar 2011     

occurin�
Spain

Wow! Kasia, these ideas are just perfect: also really original. I �ll try a few of them out and report back.

I love number 9: could make a great warmer filler. Maybe you could say that they have to be a tree or a flower or something.

Also your team version of chinese whispers will definitely be used. I don �t really know why, but Chinese whispers seems to be almost the favourite game of 6-7 year olds (in my limited experience).  I will definitely try this (tomorrow).

Thanks for your great post.

4 Mar 2011     

Kohaku
Japan

I can give you an idea of what I do in my classes.

First we sing a Hello song

We do Head and shoulders
-between each verse we stop and say something like
"touch your ears" or touch your nose
We do this about 5 times.
another option is to stop and say touch something-green, yellow, or blue
usually my students run back to their space after they have touched it. If not then say, back!
Its really fun.

Then we do another song like- Mulberry bush(a circle song with gestures "this is the way we wash our face"), hikory dickory dock(draw a clock on the board), Bingo(there was a farmer who had a dog! My kids love to write bingo on the board. Make space for BINGO and ask who wants to write a B or I, have them say"Me Please!!" when you sing the song you should clap everytime you erase a letter. My students love it)

Next we do a story. My students love story time and you should make it really fun. Try to do something that will involve silly reading. Then stop and say, "touch a mouse or touch a cat" Make sure you read the book really fun so the kids will be entertained for about 5-10 minutes

Then we move on to an activity. We do a lesson on a subject and the kids can have fun. I do hide- and seek flashcards. Make one student count to 10 and the others go hide it.Then you ask that student to find the one you call out.
You can do line-jump vocab review-- Make a line in the middle and the students have to jump to the correct side of the word you call out. to make it more fun then you can make them jump farther over the line.

This site has a good curriculum and tons of games for your age level. I don �t like their flashcards though :) genkienglish.com

Lastly we do a nice coloring activity. Recently we are doing a weather theme. The students are making weather collage of pictures I print.They color them and glue them to a large paper. Do one weather set at a time. No we are doing stormy weather. The kids color the pages and ask me for a color, "Pink please,  Yellow please, Here you are, Thank you."

Afterward we do a goodbye song.

Good luck and I hope you will be able to make your classes fun.

4 Mar 2011     

Kohaku
Japan

Also I like to award points sometimes. They usually don �t care if they loose at this age. Its more fun. So if you don �t want to write points on the board you can give them blocks and they can build them up and count them when they are finished, you can let them choose and animal character and stick it on the board and tick a new point for their character each time, you can put magnets on the back of the character and make a large mountain and the character must ski down to get points. I usually make flags along the way down as a stopping point.

4 Mar 2011     

1    2    Next >