Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > JAPAN UPDATE?    

JAPAN UPDATE?

Mar0919
Mexico

JAPAN UPDATE?

AB, Julia, David, Errie, Kohaku, Christy ... are you all right?!?!?!

Haven �t seen any updates on the forum... I �m worried!

Hugs!!!

Mar

17 Mar 2011      

juliag
Japan

Hi Mar,
Thanks for your concern.
I �m alright in a physical sense, but not feeling too good on an emotional level.
I �m seriously considering whether I need to try to leave the country when my spring vacation starts for a week on Sunday.
Though of course it may already be too late by then, and I think that by the time they tell us there has been an explosion or that the situation is out of control and radiation is being released it will be far too late to do anything about it.
Everybody tells me the government and the electricity company are doing their best to control the situation so I don �t need to worry, but the problem is I doubt whether they can control it so all I can do is worry.
The only time I feel normal is during class time as then I have to put on my normal face for the children.
The rest of the time I am just worrying and this has been a most unproductive week, though that is the least of my concerns at the minute.
I oscillate between thinking that I am panicking too much and that I need to calm down, and thinking that I need to get on the phone and buy a plane ticket as soon as possible. If it is in fact possible to do so, of course.
Sorry not to be more upbeat, I �m feeling pretty scared actually. Even though I �m not all that close to the powerplants I think I am definitely close enough to be affected should they not be able to get the situation under control.
Poor Errie and Christy are much closer. The people in that area have already suffered so much, it seems unfair that they should have to suffer more with all this worry and fear and a possible nuclear disaster on top of it.
Bryce about the same as me I think. David is quite far south, though I think some members of his family are in Tokyo.
@Kohaku I don �t know whereabouts in the country she is.
I sincerely hope one and all are okay.
If you can let us know how you are doing.
Much love to all and thank you to those who have sent me PMs more recently. I �m sorry I �ve felt too stressed to be able to reply to them, but I really do appreciate the fact that you are thinking about us.

Edit: After reading Christy�s message really think I might be panicking too much, I�ll try to remain calmer.

17 Mar 2011     

juliag
Japan

This from the British Embassy looks reassuring though I must admit I still feel worried.
Even my friends in Kyushu are considering leaving and they are many, many miles away.

17 Mar 2011     

christybridgeman
Japan

Hello Mar,

Things have been a little troublesome here the past couple of days.  We are having food shortages at the grocery markets.  We are being rationed milk and gas!  We are also having planned blackouts to conserve electricity because of nuclear plant situation.

But, all in all, I am doing fine!  I am especially happy that my friend was found in Kesennuma and she is alright!  Her house was destroyed, but the top part did not get flooded so her cat ran up stairs and lived!  I am so thankful that her pet cat is OK and so is she!

I am debating whether or not to return to America at the moment.  But, I think I will choose to stay here.  Even if the nuclear plant explodes, the people most susceptible to radiation sickness will be the very young and pregnant women.  And, I am about a 100km outside of the immediate danger zone. 

Thank you very much for your support!

Christy

*hugs*

17 Mar 2011     

roneydirt
United States

Some of the Embassies are asking families to leave Japan including the American Embassy in Tokyo.  It is more a precautionary because if it got worst then they wouldn �t have time to evacuate their citizens.  Basically a safe than sorry thing.

Saw more citizens getting rescued including some boat workers stuck out in the sea.  For those that don �t know it is extremely hard to spot a person in the water and some have been found alive.  Even with the mass loss of life and worries about the nuclear plant problem it is good to still see some good news.

An old farmers tale:  "If you want to know how bad it is watch the birds."
An old dockworker tale: "If you want to know how bad things are watch the rats"
Both mean if you see these animals fleeing then it is time to run.

17 Mar 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Dear julia and Christy

When we had the problem of Tchernobyl, the radiations went to thousands of miles away from the so called danger zone! In France we were touched although the governmant said at the time there was nothing to fear from it! Stupid people! The radio active cloud stopped at our frontiers! Now there are so many people suffering from cancer  and dying because of the carelessness of  those who "knew"!  So my dear friends, I pray you, if you can, get away, please do!

17 Mar 2011     

pollyanna_pl
Greece

Dear julia,

So sorry to hear that you are in such a dilemma.
Please don �t blame yourself for being in a state of panic and please don �t apologise for not being more upbeat (!!).  A nuclear threat, however small, is no small thing. And the georgraphical distance you mention is nothing if the wind or the rain decide to bring it your way, heaven forbid. Nor can humans ever flee from danger as effectively as birds or rats, so if you do see them running away, it is probably too late already in this case.
In short, I see your point when you say you are in a state of panic.
On the other hand, the whole thing may be put under control in a few days, and you may prove to be less brave than the rest of the people around you.

But, if I may say so, this is YOUR one and only life and you should make of it whatever you choose, depending on your background, personality and why not? cowardly or brave nature.
So maybe you should think in terms of which decision YOU would regret more if you happened to make the wrong choice. This is a rule of the thumb I sometimes follow, perhaps it could be of some help to you.

And, if it is any help, if there was a way to evacuate all people from the island until this nightmare was over, wouldn �t the world opt for it?
I don �t know what else to say. Maybe you should just listen to your heart.
My best wishes are with you.
Take care.

17 Mar 2011     

L. habach
Morocco

Dear Julia
I am really sorry for all the victims in Japan. I hope that the authorities will be able to overcome the calamity. Please take the right decision before it is too late. If you decide to leave Japan, my family and I will be happy to put you up till the problem is over. You are welcome. Just pm me. God save Japan.

17 Mar 2011     

mariannina
Italy

What to say...words are not enough! If I only could do something for you!
Hugs.
Granny

17 Mar 2011     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Good to hear you are OK. I think of Erie and his family almost all the time, as they live directly in Fukushima. Hope you all will be all right.
Hugs, Michaela

17 Mar 2011     

alexcure
Poland

Dear friends from Japan,

Here in Poland and Italy we are with you, especially in prayers as it is the most we can do for you.

God bless you

Alex

17 Mar 2011     

1    2    3    Next >