Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > texts from EFL textbooks?    

texts from EFL textbooks?

ginnilini
Germany

texts from EFL textbooks?

For my students I sometimes copy texts from other EFL textbooks that they are not using and add vocabulary and comprehension exercises. I really read the rules, but I am still not sure if it was alright to upload things like that here. Sorry for seeming dumb :). Can you help me?

Regards, Fanny

20 Mar 2011      

blunderbuster
Germany

No, you can �t. 

20 Mar 2011     

lovemykids
Uruguay

Hi Fanny,
What you could do is to adapt the information in books and add some exercises of your own. I hope it helps!

GOOD LUCK! 

20 Mar 2011     

ginnilini
Germany

Thanks for your answers!
That is what I mean more or less. I want to use the texts from the textbook, but add my own vocabulary, comprehension and writing tasks!

20 Mar 2011     

swissprof
Switzerland

I think it �s OK . I can �t see any problems if you use good texts ( most of the time better than texts that non-native speakers can write) and add your own questions or exercises.

20 Mar 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

No you cannot use text from ESL / EFL textbooks or website.
All textbooks are copyrighted.
The Cambridge University Press or your local publisher have their work copyrighted.
It would be the copyright infringement.

and what is more: it is against rules of Elsprintables too!
Rules and instructions    F.A.Q.  
  • It is acceptable to take a text from other sources (not ESL websites or ESL books) and add your own exercises or activities, but you are not allowed to take an exercise from another source and add more exercises of your own. All the exercises must be yours.

• You can use texts from other (non-EFL) websites or books in your worksheets if you add your own exercises or activities (For example, reading comprehension questions, etc).
    Please don �t take texts from other ESL websites or books, it would be unfair.

• If your worksheet is just a reading text, it will only be accepted if the text is written by you.

20 Mar 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

No, swissprof,
It �s not OK, the reason, why I can say this, is because it IS bluntly mentioned in the RULES that you can �t take texts from ESL books or even other ESL websites and here I quote, "It is acceptable to take a text from other sources (not ESL websites or ESL books) and add your own exercises or activities, but you are not allowed to take an exercise from another source and add more exercises of your own. All the exercises must be yours." Why you cant �s see that I don �t know but it IS THERE. Authentic text from else where (article from newspaper or magazine, adapted portion from a literary work, you name it) +your own exercises+stating the source (recommended) -- YES, go for it, BUT NOT OTHER ESL RESOURCE. 
Sophia
P. S. Sorry for having to put it in caps.
@Nika Jana: looks like we�ve been posting simultaneously:) I thought Rigina has given a clear answer and it would be end of discussion.

20 Mar 2011     

ginnilini
Germany

Thank you very much for the answers!
I was not sure about the interpretation of the rules (no esl texts at all or just not any esl texts without my own exercises), but I understand it now. I will not post those worksheets then. I just wanted to make sure before I make a mistake.
Thanks again!
Fanny

20 Mar 2011