Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > ONLY THE BEST EXCUSES    

ONLY THE BEST EXCUSES

anitarobi
Croatia

ONLY THE BEST EXCUSES

Dear colleagues,

helping to clean the forum, but also touching on one of my favourite topics - it is Friday, after all...
Would you be interested in sharing some of the best excuses your students have given you for missing a lesson, not respecting a deadline or failing to do their homework?
It might be interesting to see if excuses differ from one part of the world to another, or will students simply always be students.

Wishing everyone a great weekend!
Anita

15 Apr 2011      

stefemma
France

Hi Anita,

Just yesterday, one of my student arrived late for the lesson and his excuse was: "Sorry miss, I was lost!"
Yeah , yeah how can a 17 year-old can lose his way after 3 years in the same school ?!!! Big smile
I just love it when they try to find excuses and end up finding a silly one!

15 Apr 2011     

mirelli
Brazil

Hi teacher,

I didn �t bring my homework because my dog ate it...

15 Apr 2011     

MissMelissa12
Peru

There are two excuses I remember clearly:

1. One of my students arrived late to turn in his composition about his personal preferences of TV shows. Well, this was his second chance, because unfortunately his grandmother got "very very sick" on the original due date. But my student has so much bad luck that on the second chance - AN LAST ONE- he was being driven by his friend on the way to school and as he was proofreading it, his friend opened the window and it blew away by the blustery wind. Obviously, I did not believe it and there was not second chance.

2. One day, another student came to an exam very late arguing that her sweater had  got stuck on the gates of a window and nobody  knows why - not even the FBI, Im sure- but it was hard to be pulled off. I did give her the chance to take the exam, with no extra time though.

3.  This is actually a mea culpa, when I was in fourth grade of elementary school, we were supposed to turn in some articles for the bulletin board. I remember I was supposed to write about Santa Rosa De Lima, a Catholic saint. I had the weekend to do it but instead I spent it playing around with my cousin. When monday came and I had to turn it the paper, I didn �t see other way out than "make an excuse" so I told the teacher that my parents had a violent fight at home ( and I kept giving details while my teacher was looking straight into my eyes) and that my father with a knife was chasing my dad around the house so we had to move out to my grandmother �s house. The teacher gave me a big hug and told me everything was going to be okay and that I should not cry ( I wasn �t crying, I just wanted to hear � ok, do it for tomorrow �). Next day, the psychologist of the school sent a notification to my parents for family counciling due to violence being reported in my house...Well, fellows, Guess what happened with my butt when my parents found out about verything :(

15 Apr 2011     

persie
Turkey

Student: Sir, I forgot to put my English book while I was preparing my schoolbag
English Teacher: You didn �t forget to put any of them but English book, did you?
Student: Believe me sir! I really forgot.

After one hour...

Student: Sir, I forgot to put my History book while I was preparing my schoolbag...
History teacher: ..................
:) :)

15 Apr 2011     

class centre
Belarus

I �m so sorry not to be able to participate in this exchange of sts � excuses, as I don �t give home tasks Wink

15 Apr 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

Yeah, they can really be imaginative. But Miss Melissa, your sts should really be rewarded for all the creativity. However, reading your story, I guess some of the talent rubs off from the teacher onto the students, eh?Wink

I must say I get more excuses from teacher trainees than students, although students are definitely more creative and fun.

I remember one excuse a professor gave my class when I was a student back in high school - for, go figure, losing our tests and making us take them all over again. She said she �d been taking a bath while correcting our tests, and her husband came back from a business trip feeling all romantic, and one thing led to another, and all the ink got smudged and she really couldn �t read anything. Can you believe it????

15 Apr 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Some years ago, one of my kids forgot her book in class, so I decided to put it in my bookcase.
Next lesson, she told me:
"Sorry, I couldn �t do my homework, because my little brother put my book in the bassin, full of water. "
And I answered:
" Yes, I know, but your brother sent it to me and I dried it, perfectly ready, for your homework, for tomorrow �s lesson."

15 Apr 2011     

sonyajuly
Greece

Great idea!

I imagine most of us have something to say on the topic; here �s mine.

A young learner that had forgotten to bring her HW, came up with this:

�I was doing my homework on my desk and the window was open. The wind blew and took my paper away �.

A+ for creativity!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Greetings from Greece.

15 Apr 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Often my students will  explain that they didn �t bring their homework because they were at dad �s over the weekend whereas the notebook was at mom �s place. (High divorce rate in our school)

One day, one of the girls started to explain the same thing but she forgot that I know her parents personally and they are still living together!!!

15 Apr 2011     

ironik
Australia

Most of my students have little brothers and sisters and I hear about them all the time while speaking or when we write about personal stuff. And I hear about them while checking homework, too. "Sorry, teacher, my sister tore it apart." "Sorry, teacher, my brother poured something on it" etc. I hear it all the time :D

15 Apr 2011     

1    2    Next >