Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > matter of confusion from a native speaker: word order    

matter of confusion from a native speaker: word order

brookee
United States

matter of confusion from a native speaker: word order

Hello teachers,

I�m in the middle of writing a paper for a course I�m taking, and I�ve stumbled upon a matter of confusion regarding proper word (or phrase) order.  I can not decide which is more appropriately stated of the following:

My and my colleagues� proposal was initially met with a negative response by students.

My colleauges� and my proposal was initially met with a negative response by students.

or is it only appropriate to state:

Our proposal was initially met with a negative response by students.

Opinions?  Hope this question isn�t too mind-boggling for the weary teachers after the weekend :)

15 Dec 2008      

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi;

Why don�t you make it simply
"My proposal and that of my colleagues initially met a negative response fromthe students."

15 Dec 2008     

brookee
United States

That sounds great and very succint.

I still wonder...is there a rule regarding order in this circumstance?

15 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

You could also use the passive form here.. which to me sounds less forced and more natural...

"The proposal made by my colleagues and I, was intially met with a negative response..."

15 Dec 2008     

eaglestar
Philippines

Hi Brookee,

If you are referring to one proposal that you and your colleagues made, I am more inclined to agree on the second one you made which is:

"Our proposal initially met a negative response from the students."

However, if you want to mention your colleagues, you can include it in your context like this:

"My colleagues and I formulated a proposal. However, it initially met  a negative response from the students."

If you are referring to two different proposals, I agree with the reply of "goodnesses".

"My proposal and that of my colleagues� initially met a negative response from the students."

Thanks,
Stella

15 Dec 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi...

I am not sure about this. It does not sound natural to me...

My and my colleagues� proposal was initially met with a negative response by students.

This one would mean they are two different proposals:

My colleauges� and my proposal was(were, then) initially met with a negative response by students.

And in this case it is not clear whose proposal it is (who "our" includes)

Our proposal was initially met with a negative response by students.

As stated before, the passive voice would be more suitable (in my opinion)

15 Dec 2008     

wildrose
Portugal

Hi there!

I think you could also write as follows: "My colleagues and I made a proposal that was initially met with a negative response by the students."

15 Dec 2008     

brookee
United States

Thanks goodnesses, Zora, Stella (c2h5), Tere-arg, and wildrose for helping me over this stump in my paper.

How frustrating it is when one�s mind gets is completely blocked!

15 Dec 2008     

angryparrot
United Kingdom

Mine and my colleagues� proposal was initially met with a negative response by students.

Not 100% certain but shouldn�t this be the possessive? I think it sounds better (which is usually how I work out grammar)

15 Dec 2008     

dennismychina
China

I tend to agree you Matthew,

Either Mine and my colleagues� or My colleagues and my, the English language being as polite as it is, eg. My friends and I. Confused

Because the full sentence would be My colleagues doodad and my doodad ���hence my colleagues and my. Me thinks mmmmm.

15 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

I think it is better formulated your why, unless
brookee means two different proposals.

15 Dec 2008     

1    2    Next >