Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What my son told me last night    

What my son told me last night

joy2bill
Australia

Don �t forget that Noddy and Big Ears were the first gay couple as they were hopping in and out of bed together.
So, why have these tales stood the test of time?
Is it because of the nostalgia of reading to our own kids what our parents used to read to us?
What about my kids � favourite...Dr Seuss?
Perhaps we should just take them at face value!

Cheers Joy

3 May 2011     

mariamit
Greece

Personally I think most fairy tales are not only scary but they are by modern standards "politically incorrect". I give you something my students wrote as part of a Comenius project last year. This is only a small part of it. It is  a parody of the fairy tales they were told. Some of you may find it really interesting:

Once upon a time there was a girl named Little Red Riding Hood who lived on the edge of the forest. One day she set off to visit her grandmother who lived deep in the forest. Unfortunately, the forest caught fire on several fronts. Little Red Riding Hood just managed to come out of it but had to be hospitalized with second-degree burns.
The bad wolf, in order to survive had to run to the three little pigs and beg them to put him up at their stone house because the other two houses had burnt down .
* The woodcutter (or hunter in some versions) , normally destined to save Little Red Riding Hood and her grandmother, did not run to put out the fire because in the meantime he had been appointed  forest ranger.
* Finally, the grandmother died due to smoke inhalation and will be buried tomorrow at public expense some say ... but actually construction partnerships will pay for the burial fees, as they will take advantage of the land her cottage was built on to put up new condos which they will then sell at two thousand times the price.  
* In the same forest, Hansel and Gretel had the good fortune to actually find their way home, the second time around as the crumbs they had thrown were burnt to a crisp and the birds wouldn�t eat them. The bad news is that when they arrived, their house had been burnt.
* Their dad (a woodcutter) out of work and with no home immigrated to the US in hopes of finding a better opportunity in the promised land, while their mother disappeared, although it is said she was seen peddling herself in a no-good Avenue in Athens.
* Poor Snow White full of soot and smoke and the 6 dwarfs (the seventh is still missing) tried to wash the dirt off herself with the fireman�s hose. When Prince Charming saw her , he was disgusted. He turned around and galloped away on his horse as fast as he could.
* The Smurfs (
Les Schtroumpfs) were saved, but they could no longer hide from Gargamel  and Azrael in the burnt forest..
* Finally, the "Little Match Girl" ... was arrested and is awaiting trial� apparently for arson.

3 May 2011     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hey Liz, kids can be pretty funny and exceedingly sharpClap

check this out it �s pretty cool;

3 May 2011     

mariec
Spain

GOOD POINT ABOUT FAIRY STORIES, BUT DOES YOUR SON KNOW SPANISH?

3 May 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

So true and so delightful , dear mariamit! Wink

3 May 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

I love this thread!

These are my memories about fairy tales: when I was a little girl I loved them, and there was no more to it. I don �t know how much I wondered or whether I understood them at all. My world was safe, and fairy tales warned me sweetly.
But when my son was born, somehow I realised that things had changed and I remember telling him that witches were not really all that bad and that nothing was to be feared from the mean bad wolf, they were just stories. Now I know they are not. Now I think that life has its dark side, and fairy tales let us know about it in a subtle manner, but times have changed greatly. Videogames have taken their place.

3 May 2011     

zailda
Brazil

Are you telling me that witches don �t exist? What about Old Nick? Frankly I still believe in their existence and I �m shocked to hear that somebody doesn �t...

BTW, seriously talking, I guess the best thing I did for my kids when they were little was teaching moral values and to be critical about what they see or read. I also taught them to act according to their beliefs (unless someone proved they were completely wrong...)

I believe in ghosts, fairies, and also that sometimes TV brings us much more reality than we would expect from a gadget aimed to providing entertainment... I �m not among the ones who are eager to see Obama �s pictures or videos after his death and I do believe the world could do without this kind of "reality"...

4 May 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

Oh, they do, they certainly exist! The problem was that I refused to believe it, dear Zailda. That �s why I am still shocked every day, but that �s not to blame on fairy tales...

4 May 2011     

zailda
Brazil

No, we aren �t blaming fairy tales for the human nature and all the harm it can cause if parents don �t teach moral values to their kids and just let them get away with everything. And we aren �t telling the TV or videogames are responsible for the violence and disrespect we are victms and witnesses. But if we simply read without judging what we see or accept everything that comes from the "media" aren �t we teaching the youngsters that they don �t need to think because there are many means of communication to think in their place?

When we let a kid in front of the TV, or connected on the internet, or reading comics, or fairy tales, or the like, and we don �t teach them to be critical and tell apart what they accept / believe from what they don �t, aren �t we contributing to form a generation of mindless people?

I �d be proud if my kid had asked me those questions!

People say the difference between humans and the other creatures is that humans are rational, but analyzing our actions (and even our "fairy tales") can �t we still say we are "rational"?

If we start thinking of the messages a child will find reading a fairy tale, maybe in the future we won �t have "heroes" proudly telling on the TV they have killed the "boogie man".

4 May 2011     

< Previous   1    2    3