Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The Eurovision Song Contest    

The Eurovision Song Contest

libertybelle
United States

The Eurovision Song Contest

I don �t know how many of you are watching the European Song Contest right now - but as English teachers, you might be interested in hearing that most of the hosts who give points from the different countries all make the same grammatical mistake!!

It �s that darn 3rd person plural - many of them say:

10 points goes to ..........(name of country)

Is it really so difficult to learn:

I go
you go
he, she, it goes

We go
you (all) go
They go???????Confused

so now we know what we have to work with!! Thumbs Up

15 May 2011      

Lucia13
Armenia

I am watching it too,and also noticed it:)
Unfortunately this year Armenia didn �t pass the semifinals and I am kinda sad:)
Can �t decide a favourite song this year!
What about you?

15 May 2011     

CHARAF
Morocco

This is the American superiority complex;this is what i noticed from most of your comments.plz stop playing the know all game;why don t you start with the American ghettos where �black vernacular english �is spoken. 

15 May 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

Wow Charaf... That is so uncalled for.

15 May 2011     

Pelletrine
France

Please!!! Could you draw back your hyper sensitive antennas ( please CHARAF) and concider that this is an esl site !!!!! Cool down and rethink : it might be  an esl issue when you hear 10 points goes to X  ;o))
.... and here, we don �t want to discuss the issues you try to bring up!!!
Have a great week-end

15 May 2011     

dturner
Canada

I agree that it is wrong, but you know, even in the west (U.S and Canada) we hear that expression all the time when it comes to games.  I think perhaps that we, the westerners are to blame since I assume that the Eastern folks might be listening to TV personalities in the west say in incorrectly.  Yes, It �s grating, but not catastrophic.  

15 May 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Actually LB, I think it is used this way by NS more often than we think.  To my ears it sounds ok, even though it �s not grammatically correct, and I guess it �s one of those things that has silently slipped into the local lingo.  I �m going to listen to the footy match very closely this afternoon to see what they actually say when they excitedly shout out the score during the match.  Everyone gets so caught up in the excitement of the match so the grammar errors just sneak on by.

Cheers

Jayho

15 May 2011     

belfer
United States

I watched it too, great show. 

15 May 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Hi Liberty,
I �ve noticed this as well. In other games that is. Haven �t watched the eurovision since I was 11 or so... bucks fizz won in 81 with �making your mind up - that is the last one I remember...
I think what happens is that they relate to the amount of points as one unit (a unit of ten points - �the ten points card �  if you like) It happens also in gymnastics/diving contest etc.
Maybe it is related to the fact that often the points are actually written on a card which they choose to hold up. The entire sentence would be "the 10 points sign/card goes to..."
just an idea...

15 May 2011     

class centre
Belarus

isn �t it the same case as "there �s just another 20 kilometres left" or " 2 hours is a long time to wait" etc. I see no problem here

15 May 2011     

mariannina
Italy

Dear Liberty, my students don �t make that mistake, they are very good! They say:

I go
You go
She/He/It goes
We goes
You goes
They goes  CryEvil Smile

Once you change why shouldn �t you keep the change????!!!

Heeeeeelp!
Mariannina

15 May 2011     

1    2    Next >