Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Level of English in your country?    

Level of English in your country?

moravc
Czech Republic

Level of English in your country?

I loved reading the answers to this post:  Schools in other countries I would love to know about YOUR country!

1. When do your students start learning English (age)?
2. How many hours per week do they study?
3. What is their level at the age of 15?
4. At what age do they reach upper-intermediate level (FCE - B2-C1)?
5. Do they watch children stories
in English at home? TV courses? comedies? films in English?
6. Do they read graded readers / listen to audiostories?
7. Does your public TV broadcasts films in English? How often?

What does your students do to reach a higher level in English besides school?

18 May 2011      

moravc
Czech Republic

1. six years old (or 4-5, at kindergarten)
2. 1.5 hours weekly (2 lessons), later 3-4 hours (4-5 lessons per week)
3. elementary, low pre-intermediate (A2)
4. only SOME students reach this level at the age of 20 to 26, 90% are intermediate or lower, 10% sit FCE
5. no, no, some yes, a few yes
6. about 5-10% of students read graded readers every week, 1-5% listen to graded stories
7. Once a week an English film with Czech subtitles. No children/teen stories in English! :-( 1-2 TV courses.
English films!!, reading more (they read little in Czech too!), listening to CDs more often

18 May 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

1. state schools - 7, private schools and kindergartens 4
2. about two
3. about B2 mostly
4. about 15 (I work at a private school so I may not be speaking objectively)
5. at home they do(although cartoons are mostly synchronised to Croatian now), in schools less than before because of media rights (which I hate, because I love using movies to teach, but we still use stories a lot)
6. in state schools they don �t, where I work - we do it regularly
7. yes, every day
movies, private lessons, travelling, internet...

18 May 2011     

mariamit
Greece

I enjoyed it too, so here is what happens in Greece. I work in a state school  so this is really for them:
1.  As of this year,  they start in the 1st grade but they are taught only listening and speaking. That is the lessons should only be oral. In year three, they start writing.
2.  Grades 1-8, three hours a week. In grades  8, 9 two hours a week. Most students also have lessons in the afternoons. They go to institutes which of course are ll private and they have more classes. In this institutes they start with 3 hours per week and gradually go up t0 6-7 hours per week.

3. Most have obtained the B2 certification and are preparing for C1
4. about 14 - 15

5. Like Anita �s, they all watch at home  but we are not allowed  to show films  at school due to media rights. Many Greek schools don�t have the necessary equipment. As to stories, it depends on the individual teacher.

6. It is not usually done in state schools but again it is up to the teacher.

7. Yes it does but unfortunately there are Greek subtitles.  

Travelling is definitely first!  I have taken students on Comenius project and the change is amazing. Not only do they feel more comfortable speaking in English but they are much more motivated. The internet, I think also helps. Reading, listening to English songs, TV and  PC games

18 May 2011     

AHHA
Belarus

1. When do your students start learning English (age)? In the 3rd form, at the age of 8-9. But some children have English classes in kindergartens at the age of 5.

2. How many hours per week do they study? In primary school - 3, secondary -3 or 5 (it depends on whether it is an ordinary school or a gymnasia), high school -4 or 5.

3. What is their level at the age of 15? Mostly intermediate or upper-intermediate.

4. At what age do they reach upper-intermediate level (FCE - B2-C1)? In high school at the age of 15-17.

5. Do they watch children stories in English at home? TV courses? comedies? films in English? Only if I give them discs. They are usually highly motivated students.

6. Do they read graded readers / listen to audiostories? Sometimes.

7. Does your public TV broadcasts films in English? How often? It doesn �t. All films we show at our lessons are either bought on discs or downloaded from the Internet.

What would help your students to reach a higher level, apart from school? Private lessons, going to international or linguistic summer camps, reading more books and watching films in English, communicating with teenagers on the Internet.

18 May 2011     

ELOJOLIE274
France

In France:

1. When do your students start learning English (age)?
10 years old officially, but most learn English in primary school (6 years old) although the schools can choose to teach other languages (Italian, Spanish...)
2. How many hours per week do they study? in "coll�ge" (secondary school) we have 3 hours a week, in "lyc�e" (high school) 3 hours a week the 1st year and then 2 hours a week (but it depends on the curriculum the pupils choose)
3. What is their level at the age of 15? we have to validate A2 when they leave secondary school, but we expect them to reach B1 in the 1st year of high school - when they usually turn 15
4. At what age do they reach upper-intermediate level (FCE - B2-C1)? when they are about to leave high school, although that depends on their curriculum and on the subject they chose to specialize in...
5. Do they watch children stories in English at home? TV courses? comedies? films in English? nowadays I would say it �s easier to watch films/Tv series/... in English and I hope that most of my pupils do it from time to time but I can �t be sure...
6. Do they read graded readers / listen to audiostories? some probably do but none of my pupils ever said anything about that...
7. Does your public TV broadcasts films in English? How often? now you can choose the language (French or English, sometimes German) you want if you �re watching a few well-known tv series on the national chanels (like Criminal Minds, Desperate Housewives...) and you can choose to watch most films in English on the private networks... It has changed a lot in a few years, because I remember when I was a teen - merely 15 years ago - when I wanted to watch Friends or films in English I had to wait until 10pm - or later;)

18 May 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

1. When do your students start learning English (age)? age 6, grade 1
2. How many hours per week do they study? It varies from one school to another because it �s the governing board of a school (parents, principal, teachers) that agrees on the number of hours given to specialties (ESL, phys. ed and music or art). Those disciplins are mandatory. The government states that those specialties can �t be taught less than one hour per week. In my case, I get about 1 hour and half per week of ESL with my students.
The minister of education has announced that within the next 5 years, all 6 graders of Quebec will receive the equivalent of half a schoolyear of intensive English.
3. What is their level at the age of 15? Intermediate or more
4. At what age do they reach upper-intermediate level (FCE - B2-C1)? I don �t know what those abbreviation mean edit: thanks for the pm that explained the meaning. Now I can answer: Probably 15 and older.
5. Do they watch children stories in English at home? TV courses? comedies? films in English? Not at the level I teach but they can when they get to higher levels (grade 8 to 12). It is easily available on tv here.
6. Do they read graded readers / listen to audiostories? Yes, it is possible
7. Does your public TV broadcasts films in English? How often? We easily have access to American tv. English Canadian content is also available. Getting exposed to the language is at the tip of your tv remote!

18 May 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Nika

Just to let you know, I read it, I �ll try to answer tomorrow, not now, not even it rains cats and dogs.

I am extremely tired and sick, I �ve benn writing to a friend of us , but I couldn �t, I �ll do my best to join you tomorrow, I fih back your post if necessary

Kisses

Linda

19 May 2011     

sirhaj
Malaysia

In Malaysia where English is the second language:

1. At 7-preschool/kindergarten
2. Study English- 3 lessons per week ( 2 hours, 2 hours and 1 hour allocation).
3. At age of 15-mostly achieve lower intermediate level but many still remain at lower level ( English is not spoken here as much as in Europe, UK, North America, Oceania).
4. At the age of 16 above-it depends on their background, type of school and social income of the family ( those who stay in the urban areas, whose parents earn higher income and enroll in prestigious school tend to be more proficient and achieve upper intermediate to advanced much earlier, probably since elementary schools).
5. They watch comedies and films in English but not so much of TV courses or children �s stories.
6. The curriculum is accompanied with graded readers and audiostories, it depends on the teachers to utilize them in schools.
7. Out TV always airs films in English 24 hours ( 3 channels of English films).

I hope this helps, thank you.

Sincerely,
Sirhajwan

19 May 2011     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

In Galicia, Spain:
1. When do your students start learning English (age)?  3
2. How many hours per week do they study? 1-2 hours
3. What is their level at the age of 15? often terrible
4. At what age do they reach upper-intermediate level (FCE - B2-C1)? often never
5. Do they watch children stories in English at home? TV courses? comedies? films in English? no
6. Do they read graded readers / listen to audiostories? in secondary
7. Does your public TV broadcasts films in English? How often? some are broadcast in dual stereo so you can choose spanish or english
What would your students help to reach a higher level, apart from school?
being exposed to the language more and more creative teaching in schools

19 May 2011     

letizia
Italy

1. When do your students start learning English (age)? 6 years old officially, but most learn English in infant school (3-4years old) 
2. How many hours per week do they study? in primary (6 to 10y.o.) we have 1 hour a week the first year, 2 hours a week the second and then 3 hours a week. in Junior high school(scuola media) and high school (up to the age of 19)3 hours a week
3. What is their level at the age of 15? they are expected to reach a B1, but they often don �t
4. At what age do they reach upper-intermediate level (FCE - B2-C1)? they should when they are about to leave high school,but they often don �t
5. Do they watch children stories in English at home? TV courses? comedies? films in English? nowadays I would say it �s easier to watch films/Tv series/... in English and I hope that some of my pupils do it from time to time but I can �t be sure...
6. Do they read graded readers / listen to audiostories? some probably do but none of my pupils ever said anything about that...
7. Does your public TV broadcasts films in English? How often?  you can choose to watch most films in English on the private networks... and on the public too

19 May 2011     

1    2    Next >