Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Symbols of Special Days    

Symbols of Special Days

sirhaj
Malaysia

Symbols of Special Days

I am teaching my kids on celebrations and one of the tasks is to identify the symbols of special days as stated below:

1. Christmas: Santa Claus
2. Valentine �s Day: Cupid
3.Halloween: Jack-O-Lantern
4. Easter: Easter Bunny
5. Saint Patrick �s Day: Leprechaun
6. Thanksgiving: Turkey
7. Winter: Jack Frost
8. April Fool �s Day: Jester
9. New Year: Father Time
10. Earth Day: Mother Earth
11. Epiphany: 3 wise men/kings
12. Day of the Dead: La Calavera Catrina
13. Maslenitsa: Kostroma@Lady Maslenitsa
14. Mother �s Day: Mother
15. Father �s Day: Father
16. Children �s Day: Children

Is there any other special day that has certain symbols associated with them probably Hanukkah, Deepavali, Chinese New Year, Kwanzaa or any?
Please state it.

I want the students to embody each of these characters, make a sketch out of it and do a photo shoot session.

Sirhajwan

24 May 2011      

franknbea
United Kingdom

Yeah, Christmas has Santa Claus but there �s probably a clause in thatWink

24 May 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi

What about Carnival + Columbina e Arlequim?

Broken Heart

Linda

Broken Heart

24 May 2011     

maryse pey�
France

hi dear,

you have got, in Italy, THE BEFANA for EPIPHANY FESTIVITY. She is a good old witch symbolizing the end of the winter cold and sleep of Mother Nature. She distributes coal to naughty children and toys and sweets to kind ones. She will be reborn as a young maid to symbolize the rebirth of Mother Nature.

Maryse.

24 May 2011     

sirhaj
Malaysia

Thank you guys, Thank Maryse, Linda and Frank!!! I love Befana and Columbina e arlequim and thank for correcting my spelling (Santa Clause).

GIVE ME MORE characters and the celebrations they represent, share the celebrations in your countries with me..
those in Europe, Africa, South America, North America, Oceania, Asia and even Middle East, I want more.....

I did an exhibition before on the characters, the celebration and the origin and characteristics of these characters, the kids really loved it. We even wore costumes during the exhibition.

Sirhajwan

24 May 2011     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Epiphany: the 3 Magi
Pentecost: the Dove

24 May 2011     

asmajabbar
Pakistan

Hi!I am from Muslim country and if you like you can add to your list Muslim festivals as well. 

1. Eid ul Adha  - To remember the sacrifice of Hazrat Ibrahim AS
2. Hajj - Annual pilgrimage to Holy Kaba in Saudi Arabia by Muslims all over the world.
3. Eid ul Fitr - Celebrated after fasting for a one whole month.  

24 May 2011     

sirhaj
Malaysia

Thank you S. Lefevre and asmajabbar, I really appreciate your replies. I was thinking of adding

1. Lady Liberty for US Independence Day
2. Pixie for pixie day celebrated in Ottery St Mary, England.

What else, give me more....please.. the more.. the merrier right?

Sirhajwan

24 May 2011     

miss K.
Ukraine

Sirhaj,that �s an intersting task you have for your students.
But the main figure for Christmas isn �t� Santa but Jesus. No Jesus �- no Cchristmas and eventually no legend of Santa.

Seems like Valentine is the main figure for� Valentine �s Day and cupid is one of its symbols.

Jesus who has risen from the dead is the main figure�on �Easter. Bunny came in later though egg hunting is fun.

It looks to me that patrick should be the main figure on Saint Patrick �s Day. it �s named after him after all, and leprechaun is one of the popular symbols.

On Thanksgiving I�can �t�say there is a main figure but an act of thanking God for carrieng people thriugh hardships. Turkey is one of the foods, not figures, and one of a few popluar symbols on Thanksgiving.

Perhaps you should use a term other than figure so people like me woun �t get confused.
Have a good day!

24 May 2011     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Another for Thanksgiving: Pilgrims

24 May 2011     

miss K.
Ukraine

The symbol for the Pentecost is acctualy Holy Spirit who came daown on Jesus disciples in the form of fire flames. Dove is another symbol for the Holy Spirit.

24 May 2011     

1    2    3    Next >