Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Removing posts    

Removing posts

seansarto
United States

Removing posts

Recently, I received this message concerning one of my printables.

Do you know what snuff is?

I had used the word "snuff" in the title of my worksheet on the sense of smell. "Snuff" can be defined as "to inhale", which was my intent....It has many meanings though.

Anyways, I didn �t think the message was in constructive spirit. I thought it intentionally derogatory and more of an unwarranted personal attack. More along the lines of, "Do you even know what YOU are talking about!"...Mostly my experience here on the site has been to show gratitude for other �s work, offer constructive suggestions and to point out errors in text or typos. Justifiably conservative in it �s demeanor. So I responded to the person who posted it. They contended it was not meant as derogatory but went on to make some derogatory statements about my character for confronting them. They made the allusions that they would remove post if they were able to but could not, (actually they never said they actually said they WOULD remove the post though it offends, they just stated they could not).

So, I am wondering if there is a method for removing posts that are related to worksheets?

If someone were to post something profane or demeaning after downloading a contributor �s worksheet, would such a post be able to stand? It was my understanding that this site prohibits such demeanors. Or is such behavior to be condoned here through happenstance? It was not my impression that this site was so liberal. That such posts could stand after a want to remove them has been established seems a vulnerability in the intention of the site �s construct.

7 Jul 2011      

MapleLeaf
Canada

Sean, I just can say to take it easy. We like your posts, your participation in the games and that matters.

7 Jul 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi

I wish I could help you more but once you post a comment on a worksheet, it �s impossible to remove it yourself. I guess only Victor can.

Manon

7 Jul 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

I know it might bother you, but the person only made a question, why do you say it is profane or demeaning?  i am sorry but i got lost... unless you are saying that you received a pm with insults.. anyway, you have to take it easy, i know sometimes it is not easy, but getting upset will only harm your health, people downloaded your ws and that means some people found it useful

7 Jul 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

What �s the big deal here? Sorry but I �m with Liz on this one. I don �t see any malevolence in the ws comment, it �s just a question - possibly because poster didn �t get your pun (Ws title: Fun snuff). Better grow some thicker skin and take it easy. Clown

BTW, posts or ws comments can only be removed by the Supreme Leader, aka webmaster Victor. I wouldn�t bother him with this though. Geek

7 Jul 2011     

alien boy
Japan

well, you could always remove the worksheet & then reupload it!

Cheers,
AB

7 Jul 2011     

Errie
Japan

Sean,

I understand what you mean but I don �t think the poster had bad intensions or what so ever. Sending a PM might help. I have no idea about removing a comment sorry.

By the way....you �ve got some great wss! Keep up the good work please.

7 Jul 2011     

isabelle99
Monaco

I quite agree with Seansarto in a sense. I think the question is rather harsh and if the person meant to be nice or helpful, she/he would have added some words to justify her point of view, a mere explanation such as " I think the double meaning of the title is inadequate for my students"  would have played it down. (considering that Seansarto �s worksheet content is not at all provocative). That�s the kind of question you ask when you are really angry or reproachful not the kind of question you ask if you wish to peacefully express another point of view. Seansarto is a regular and precious contributor, not one of those snide ones whose only goal is to spoil the comradship of this site. However, It has already happened to me to write things that were misinterpreted so maybe she/he didn �t intend to be agressive or demeaning. Thats the problem with the Net, we must weigh all our words before typing because people can easily overreact;  Best thing if it really hurts is to tell Victor about it.

7 Jul 2011     

douglas
United States

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/snuff
I �m guessing the poster just didn �t catch your play on words--don �t sweat the small stuff.

7 Jul 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

BTW the verb that goes with cocaine is it snuff, sniff or snort? (just a vocabulary question, please don �t get me wrong) You could send the answer by pm and I�ll remove this post as soon as I get the answer.
Sophia

7 Jul 2011     

Lindax
Ukraine

Whoever has written the `derogatory` comment, has actually done a great deal for both me and you.

I`m thankful to the person for advertising your great WS, and you might be grateful for getting  extra points.   

Cheer up!

`An overflow of bad converts to good.`

(paraphrasing) William Shakespeare

7 Jul 2011     

1    2    Next >