Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > English errors are widespread on ESLprintables    

English errors are widespread on ESLprintables

joy2bill
Australia

Why not use the errors to help you in the classroom.
If I spot an error that I haven �t corrected I will ask the students to find it. Proofreading by the students is another useful learning/ teaching tool. Although I �m a native speaker I make mistakes. I reward my students (with sweets) if they pick up on them. I believe this creates a positive, cooperative classroom and encourages students to experiment with language and not be hung up with accuracy at the cost of fluency.

I love all the amazing worksheets which save me so much time. Remember, when life gives you lemons make lemonade.....
Thanks, thanks thanks to all ESLP contributors!

18 Sep 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

I �ve downloaded quite a few worksheets that look amazing, are wonderfully helpful and are attractive to the eye (very important if you are using them with a group of kids). But I always, without exception, download them to a clearing folder first. If I use anybody else �s from this site I never do so until I have gone through it thoroughly first. By the way, I �m a native and I �ve written things on the board during my advanced classes when all of a sudden all the students � hands went up to point out a mistake in spelling or grammar. Sometimes this is a result of Spanglish (I live in Spain) and some of the words in Castellano are similar to English. Sometimes it �s because I just can �t spell for *�+#. People on this site spend a lot of time on their worksheets and are good enough to upload them for the use of everyone but many are not natives and some make mistakes that a native wouldn �t make (native speakers do make mistakes but they tend to do so on a different level). It �s only natural. But something we should do more of is let the authors know when they make a mistake which I don �t always do. Oh, and sometimes there are things written which are correct strictly speaking but a native speaker wouldn �t put it in such a way. Perhaps if you have to correct a worksheet it might be a good idea to offer it back to the author after sending a polite PM. I think that �s what I �m gonna start doing from now on. Oh, and thanks to everyone for their wonderful worksheets - with or without mistakes! Smile

18 Sep 2011     

epit
Turkey

Hi!Everbody can make  mistakes.What is important is how you make correct that .Every teacher of English may not be born as a native speaker ,but if you catch this luck you may be help us !Pease Let �s share the knowledge without be offended others.Have nice week !

18 Sep 2011     

BlancaNC
United States

I think that at least half of the respondants were not clear about my intention.  I did not mean to say that I am seeing the types of errors that native English speakers are bound to make or typographicals.  Surely a native English speaker with poor English should not be in the position of teaching English  ... maybe try math or science!  If I were teaching French or Spanish, I would feel comfortable creating beginner level grammar exercises, and in French I could also produce something with intermediate grammar and perhaps cover basic sentences and expressions.  I would not try to write a dissertation in either of these languages for the purposes of teaching someone else the languages, unless I were to have it checked by a native speaker.  People who are at an intermediate English level should not be attempting to produce advanced materials for the purposes of teaching English.  There are other resources from which to draw proper English readings.  This is a widespread problem on this site.  I am not sure many of the users are astute enough to tell the difference of a proper document versus one that is totally corrupt. 

20 Sep 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Blanca,

why not produce a helpful worksheet for us with the most common errors you have noticed and how to prevent them ?

Useful information is always welcome !

20 Sep 2011     

douglas
United States

Oh wow!

(Flashbacks of Ivonna �s proofreading posts (I miss her inputs)).

"Nobody is perfect"
"Don �t look a gift horse in the mouth"

The  teacher is the sole person responsible for what they introduce into the classroom.  I personally admire those people who make such wonderful worksheets in a second language--I don �t think I could do so well.  These people should be admired, not "reprimanded". 

My advice to you:  this site works very well, it is the result of a lot of hard work, dedication, and understanding from many members (and yes, we have unfortunately lost a few treasures along the way).  Relax and appreciate the (free!) resource that you have here and try to understand that this is an international site that encourages tolerance and creativity--without being overshadowed by politics, racism, etc.

Cheers,
Douglas

21 Sep 2011     

Sainte-Marie
United States

I �ve always thought that tolerance is a two-way street. And there �re some things you can �t be quiet about.

21 Sep 2011     

douglas
United States

If you take a look beyond the borders of your own country (something that we Americans are not very good at) you will find that life is not so perfect and "black and white" as "Little House on the Prairie"or "My Name is Earl" (and the rest of the media tripe). 

There are teacher shortages all over the world.  In places where taechers are a "commodity", schools have to take what they can get.  This often puts people "at an intermediate English level" in positions where they have to "produce advanced materials for the purposes of teaching English".  These teachers may be in over their heads, but they are still trying (and are) to make a difference.

Thankfully, there is a site where these teachers can go and get help and support without being judged or intimidated.  My fear with Blanca �s proposal is that it would be threatening to those people that probably need this site the most.

Just my view on it, not trying to offend anyone,
Douglas

22 Sep 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Douglas you are a real friend wth a great understanding ! How good !

22 Sep 2011     

Sainte-Marie
United States

Yeah, keeping silent and just listening is the greatest gift, no doubt.

22 Sep 2011     

< Previous   1    2    3