Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Farewell    

Farewell

mena22
Portugal

Oh dear, you �ve got it all wrong!

It was not me who wrote those words, but the member who purchased the graphics from www.thistlegirldesigns.com . I simply copied and pasted what was written in the properties of the graphics as evidence. That �s how we can be 100% sure the graphics were not purchased by the member who used them. I do this myself when I don �t have time to use Paint to personalise the graphics - I add my name to the properties - mena22. Many of us do, as did the member  who the graphics were taken from.  

Now dear maker, I �ve been in this site since October 2008, i.e. for 3 years, and you must know something about my character by now, if not by my contributions, almost 1000 so far, or by my posts in the forum, at least by my comments at the reporting contributions page.

Never, and I mean never, have I used the verb "steal" to report any worksheet. As I �ve said many times in my posts and comments, I think that is too strong a verb to use in this situation and I find it rude. I always use the verb "take sth from someone".

Secondly, I would never report a worksheet "blantantly", as you put it. It is true that once or twice I made the mistake of leaving a thank you note in the wrong place and ended up reporting the worksheet, but I immediately sent a pm to the member explaining what had happened and apologised for my mistake. I did the very same at the reported contributions page and asked the moderators to vote for it to stay. It is indeed not in my nature to accuse anyone of anything "blantantly".

Last but not least, this was indeed a tragic misunderstanding, at least to me, caused by lack of communication. Had you sent me a pm, I would have clarified you about how I knew who the graphics belonged to (like you, many members do not know to check the properties of the graphics and many moderators have asked me how we do that) and also that I simply had copied and pasted what was written in their properties to report the worksheet as evidence.

I wish you had given me the benefit of the doubt. I am honestly shocked by the conclusions you took from a simple and valid act of mine: reporting a worksheet because the member used graphics purchased by another member, as proved in the properties of those graphics. I, a prosecuter!? A judge!? Ordering people what to do!?Not taking the time to send the member a pm!?  All wrong, dear maker. I did take the time to send the member a message and waited for her reply before reporting the worksheet. Here�s my message:

graphics by thistlegirdesigns.com
Dear ..., I �ve come across your workhsheet and would like to kindly request you to replace the graphics from www.thistlegirldesigns.com because those graphics are not for free, so they can �t be copied and pasted. I �m sure you understand.
Have a nice Sunday.
mena

11 Dec 2011 Delete this message

As you can understand, I can�t copy and paste the member�s answer in the forum.

Have a nice day,
mena

12 Dec 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

Well, like we say in French, this is a "storm in a glass of water".  I think this is a case of misinterpretation that was blown out of proportion.

I �ve known Mena long enough to know that she was not mean intended.  She was kind enough to  give the other member a chance which is not mandatory by the way. I know I don �t do that anymore since I �ve gotten nasty replies in return.

Wishing you all a great week!

@ yelina: If you search for pictures on the internet and find them without a watermark, it does not mean they are not copyrighted.

12 Dec 2011     

mena22
Portugal

Oh dear, you �ve got it all wrong!

It was not me who wrote those words, but the member who purchased the graphics from www.thistlegirldesigns.com . I simply copied and pasted what was written in the properties of the graphics as evidence. That �s how we can be 100% sure the graphics were not purchased by the member who used them. I do this myself when I don �t have time to use Paint to personalise the graphics - I add my name to the properties - mena22. Many of us do, as did the member who the graphics were taken from.

Now dear maker, I �ve been in this site since October 2008, i.e. for 3 years, and you must know something about my character by now, if not by my contributions, almost 1000 so far, or by my posts in the forum, at least by my comments at the reporting contributions page.

Never, and I mean never, have I used the verb "steal" to report any worksheet. As I �ve said many times in my posts and comments, I think that is too strong a verb to use in this situation and I find it rude. I always use the verb "take sth from someone".

Secondly, I would never report a worksheet "blantantly", as you put it. It is true that once or twice I made the mistake of leaving a thank you note in the wrong place and ended up reporting the worksheet, but I immediately sent a pm to the member explaining what had happened and apologised for my mistake. I did the very same at the reported contributions page and asked the moderators to vote for it to stay. It is indeed not in my nature to accuse anyone of anything "blantantly".

Last but not least, this was indeed a tragic misunderstanding, at least to me, caused by lack of communication. Had you sent me a pm, I would have clarified you about how I knew who the graphics belonged to (like you, many members do not know how to check the properties of the graphics and many moderators have asked me how we do that) and also that I simply had copied and pasted what was written in their properties to report the worksheet as evidence.

I wish you had given me the benefit of the doubt. I am honestly shocked by the conclusions you took from a simple and valid act of mine: reporting a worksheet because the member used graphics purchased by another member, as proved in the properties of those graphics. I, a prosecuter!? A judge!? Ordering people what to do!?Not taking the time to send the member a pm!? All wrong, dear maker. I did take the time to send the member a message and waited for her reply before reporting the worksheet. Here�s my message:

graphics by thistlegirdesigns.com
Dear ..., I �ve come across your workhsheet and would like to kindly request you to replace the graphics from www.thistlegirldesigns.com because those graphics are not for free, so they can �t be copied and pasted. I �m sure you understand.
Have a nice Sunday.
mena

11 Dec 2011 Delete this message

As you can understand, I can�t copy and paste the member�s answer in the forum.

Have a nice day,
mena

Edit: If you don�t mind my asking, I�d like my post to stay a little bit longer in the forum so that more members can read it and know what really happened. Thank you for your understanding.

12 Dec 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

What i dont understand is this... if this clipart are making so much trouble then why arent they forbidden as the ones from icliparts were?  after all people using them here are breaking the terms of use from the owner.. the terms of use says that  you cant upload them in a web site if they are accesible to other people to copy unless in a form of a pdf... and obviously people here can copy paste them... another term of use says that they cant be alter, group or make any changes.. so if you alter them using paint or any other program to join them or change something so that you can recognize they are the ones you bought then you are breaking the rules for the terms of use ... so both sides are wrong .. the ones who upload them here and make them accesible for "stealing" and the ones who "steals"  just my honest opinion.

12 Dec 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Liz

I guess you must be joking, he?

I bet you haven �t read Ashley �s rules so far, have you?

Otherwise you would know that drawing similar clipart is forbidden, right?

Please, forgive me, I don �t want to be rude, but, enough is enough.

Have a nice day.

Linda

12 Dec 2011     

zailda
Brazil

Hi, people!

When I registered here I agreed that I am to upload worksheets prepared by myself, but I had no idea that I had to graduate at Law School � PHD in copyright laws � to keep contributing. That�s why I rarely upload something here. I don�t want to have some wss reported just because they can also be found anywhere and anyone thinks they are forbidden for free use.

Aren�t we going too far?

Can�t we just prepare worksheets and upload them here, adding only free material not found in ESL sites?

Victor�s rule is clear: don�t take anything from other person�s worksheet without permission; don�t use texts taken from ESL sites or books. Do we need more than that?

IMHO, of course�

12 Dec 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Totally second Manon !  Don �t worry, Mena, I guess maker1 must have understood by now !

12 Dec 2011     

zailda
Brazil

@ yelina: If you search for pictures on the internet and find them without a watermark, it does not mean they are not copyrighted.

As I see we�ll soon have to use a crystal ball to find out what can or can�t be used here. Why don�t we let the holders fight for their rights if we occasionally infringe them and pay attention to the other infringements we are able to be sure of?

(In this particular case we are sure, but if we find something on the internet, how can we know who�s its holder? How much time should we spend in searching for it, until we discover its owner?)

Or maybe Victor should prohibit any kind of picture, clipart or graphic � made by the member, purchased, stolen, borrowed, etc. So it would end this pointless discussion.

12 Dec 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

Zailda, I was just clarifying something to Yelina. I �m not asking anyone to go on a clipart witchhunt. 

12 Dec 2011     

zailda
Brazil

And I didn�t say you were, dear.

Oops� another copyrighted one!

12 Dec 2011     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >