Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Dear Moderators...     

Dear Moderators...

Mar0919
Mexico

Dearest Manon, thank you for your words! HNY to you too!!!

Dear Jayho, I can totally understand what a hard task moderating is, and as you said, thankless. That �s really a shame, there should be some way to acknowledge and praise the work you guys do. Honestly, I wouldn �t, don �t, want to be in your shoes. Like I said, my chicken heart would get in the way. But I can understand the great amount of time you all put into checking sooooooooooooo many worksheets. When I �m searching the new contributions looking for goodies, my eyes just get so strained reading so many worksheets, I can imagine what you go through as moderators. Like I said, I really appreciate your work. My sincere congratulations to all for your hard work.

Now, I have a question. You mentioned probably a vote to stay came in too late. Does this mean that once a worksheet is removed, even though other moderators vote for a ws to stay, maybe a little late, this doesn �t matter? I mean, can �t there be a reconsideration if someone gives good reasons to reconsider? Once it �s removed, moderators can �t make it right again? Hmmm.... this kind of doesn �t seem right to me. But, well, you must know more about this than I do.

Thank you, dear Jayho, for your comments, and Happy New Year to you too!!!

About your pic, I �d go for option B LOL!!!

3 Jan 2012     

juliag
Japan

Hi Mar,

I figure David and Jayho are right and my comment was too late in  the reporting process to make a difference.

I don �t know exactly how many but a certain number of votes are needed for the worksheet either to stay or to go.

Like I say I don �t know the exact number of votes needed, but imagine it �s 10. So If I made my comment and voted for it to stay after 9 people had already voted for it to be removed, it would only take one more person to (I believe mistakenly) vote for removal and then the worksheet would leave the moderator �s page and no one would be able to see it, or the comment I had posted in its defense again.

So in this way, once a worksheet has had a certain number of votes for removal or to stay then there is no way to reconsider it because it is no longer on the moderators page, but goes back into the system or gets removed automatically.

The earlier in the voting process I had posted my comment, say after 1 or 2 votes, the more chance there is that people will read it, check out what it said for themselves and vote to stay. But we have no means of knowing how many people have voted, so I can �t say for certain, but I �m sure it �s like David and Jayho said.

I �m sorry that you have to have this horrible experience and feeling when all you wanted to do is contribute a wonderful worksheet to this wonderful site and am sooooo glad the experience won �t put you off ESLp, I also sincerely hope that you �ll feel able to continue contributing worksheets at some time in the near future. Many more of us than you can imagine have been reported at some point, both for good reason and for no reason at all, so please, please don �t take it too heart.

As we have had several hurt and disillusioned members, I do agree that it may be time to rethink the wording of the automated message.

As to Libertybelle, I �m not sure but I think that anyone who is a premium member (i.e. has over 30 points) can report a worksheet, it is certainly not something that is restricted to moderators. Almost anyone can report, but only moderators can vote to stay or remove is my understanding.

Wishing all a wonderful start to 2012. Last day of the holidays today! Maybe I will join you and Linda in Mexcio, could certainly appreciate a little more warmth, fed up of the minus temperatures already!

Julia

3 Jan 2012     

Mar0919
Mexico

My dear Julia, thank you so much for your thorough explanation. And, it �s ok. really. after all the venting, I guess I �m a little more calm now. Actually, sorry I posted in the first place, maybe I should have just contacted Victor and left it there.

Thank you all who have sent me messages of support, this is what makes ESLP such a wonderful warming site!

Julia, dear, you are more than welcome to come to Mexico! I would be delighted, you would definitely enjoy warmer temperatures!!! Here it kind of gets cool in the early morning or night, but during the day you could hardly notice it �s winter! Well, where I live, anyway. Although there are some northern states where temperatures are on the minus side also!

So, when shall I pick you girls up????? Wink

3 Jan 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

I �ve been off-site for a while, so I �m pretty sure I didn �t report your worksheet. I �m not anywhere close to moderator status, but if I see a suspicious-looking worksheet/PowerPoint, I do report it. Most of them are egregious violations; either I recognize a page from another website or it is filled with non-English words. A few used obviously watermarked pictures. I don �t report if I can �t see the watermark. I believe it �s important to report the plagiarism/watermarked pictures because the website could get in trouble.

I despise plagiarism. My own contributions haven �t been very good, I guess, but they are my own original work. When I taught high school-level classes and assigned papers, I told the students that if I found them using a plagiarized paper, they would get a 0 and would not be allowed to resubmit. (The paper was 25% of the grade, so that almost guaranteed that they wouldn �t pass the class.)

I �m glad you �re still with ESLP, Mar. Better to vent here and stay here than leave in righteous indignation.

3 Jan 2012     

Mar0919
Mexico

LOL  You �re right, dear Moody! Thanks everybody for putting up with my venting, and thanks for your support!!!

I LOVE YOU ALL!!!! Hug

3 Jan 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

I agree with Julia �s opinion. The reported worksheet disappears after some time from the reporting section and there is no way to restore it (only Victor can do it). Sometimes the worksheet stays reported for hours, sometimes for a few minutes only....
I am not quite sure about the number of votes necessary to remove the worksheet. The majority make the decision. So if there is 6 for removal and 4 against, the ws is removed.
I guess the "oldest" reported worksheet disappears when the newest reported worksheet comes. There is always 25 "newest" reported worksheets in the Reporting Section.
When a premium member reports a worksheet, it is immediately moved to the reporting section, so the reported worksheet becomes "invisible" in the (Recent) Contribution Section and it is impossible to download it in the normal way.
So I think there might be several votes only (5-10), or tens of votes (10-50). It depends how many moderators are logged in.

Sounds pretty complicated.

Dear Mar, Sorry to hear about your trouble. I am sure Victor can fix it.
Don �t be sad! Hugs and kisses!

3 Jan 2012     

Mar0919
Mexico

Moravc Hug    See what I mean about such wonderful human beings  here?!?!?!?!?

3 Jan 2012     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear Mar, sorry to hear that.

But it is already written above, we are only human beings and mistakes happen. I don �t know if I voted on your wss because I wasn �t here much on Saturday and Sunday. But I am glad you decided to stay and I would be even happier if you continue with contributing because your wss are valuable. Most of us had a ws reported at some time, some of us from revenge and unfairly. But life goes on, so please, don �t be sad. Wink

Hugs, Michaela

3 Jan 2012     

joy2bill
Australia

Moderators seem to be copping a lot of flack lately. What do they say: you can �t please all the people all of the time, etc.
Being a moderator is very time-consuming and prone to all sorts of criticism. My hat off to you all. I was one before the rules were changed and I don �t really want to do it again.
I agree with many here..make sure you cite all sources to avoid trouble but are we getting too paranoid about our worksheets?
We are just a group of amateurs and we will make mistakes. Let �s try not to get too offended by comments. Let �s work through it for the good of all. Hang in there Mar!      Handshake  
Cheers Joy

3 Jan 2012     

PhilipR
Thailand

I agree with Libertybelle that the automated messages should be more diplomatic. Instead of saying �You�re a Censored thief and if you do it again we�ll have your hands chopped off� it should rather be something like �There might have been an oversight on your part as you seem to have uploaded copyrighted/copied materials. Please accept our apologies should you have received this message unduly and let us know so we can restore your ws asap�. I may have overdone it but you get my drift.

I also think that the voting process for removal should be more transparent. Now nobody seems to know how many votes are needed for removal or how many moderators have already voted. Question

What if someone reports a ws and nobody votes? Would it still be removed? Does a reported ws need more than 50% votes to be removed? Please enlighten us. Lamp

Don �t worry Mar, some members are too trigger-happy to report wss. Some members also seem to want to be stricter than should be. As I �ve said before, let �s not overdo things and have this wonderful site become a virtual North Korea for volunteer worksheet makers. Pig

3 Jan 2012     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >