Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Manhole covers    

Manhole covers

colibrita
United Kingdom

Manhole covers

A little brain teaser for you.....

Why are round manhole covers much better than square ones?

21 Feb 2012      

languaria
Germany

... because they cannot fall down the manhole but square ones can???

21 Feb 2012     

yanogator
United States

I know! I know! It �s because the holes are round, so it would be silly for the covers to be any other shape.

Bruce

21 Feb 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

here some possible solutions.....LOL

21 Feb 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Colibrita,

1)      A square cover 1 metre x 1 metre has an area of 1 square metre.

A circular cover of 1 metre diameter has an area of .5 metre x .5 metre. X 3 and 1/7, which is slightly more than � of a square metre.

So a circular cover is smaller, lighter and cheaper.  It is easier to lift.

2)      A square cover has a frame with sides 4 x 1 metre = 4 metres.

A circular cover has a frame with a side 1 metre x 3 and 1/7, which is 3 and 1/7 metres long.

So a circular cover has a smaller frame than a square cover, making it smaller, lighter and cheaper.

The cement fillet around the frame is smaller, it needs less grease to seal the frame, and the possibility of sewer gases escaping is reduced.

3)      As someone else has remarked, a circular cover overlaps the frame by a small amount, so the circular cover, turned on its side, cannot fall into the hole of the frame.  However, a square manhole frame, 1 metre x 1 metre, has a hypotenuse of approximately 1.4, (thanks to Pythagoras for the formula).  The 1 metre x 1 metre cover can easily fall through this opening into the manhole below.

4)      A manhole cover is usually made of cast iron.  A circular casting is easier to pour, and there are fewer failures, because the molten metal does not have to flow into the awkward corners of a square casting.

5)      If a heavy load, a moving lorry for example, rests on a square manhole cover in the road, the weight can be unevenly distributed, causing cracking.  This is because of the asymmetrical square shape.  Because the circular cover is symmetrical, the weight is more evenly distributed, and this problem is reduced.

6)      A building labourer can �roll� a circular cover into position, but not a square cover.

Les

21 Feb 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

What Les said.

21 Feb 2012     

pilarmham
Spain

is there such a thing as a man...whole?

21 Feb 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

The question is actually sexist, anyway. It should, of course have read, "Why are round personhole covers much better than square ones?" Ask anyone from Personchester (or, if you prefer the offshore version, from the Isle of Person).

21 Feb 2012     

pilarmham
Spain

Loved that one, almaz.
 I �m afraid I can �t say what comes up in my mind

21 Feb 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

It �s a fact Les is also an engineer!!!WinkClap

21 Feb 2012     

Apodo
Australia

Perhaps it �s because the hole is round.

BTW we call them access holes (or something similar) in these days of political correctness and non-sexist language LOL

21 Feb 2012     

1    2    Next >