Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > In The Classroom    

In The Classroom

Damielle
Argentina

Do you know "wordreference forum"? these are some of the answers i got whe I asked the same. (some written by natives, I just copied and pasted):

"Teacher is not a title the way that Mr, Mrs, and Professor are: although you can say Professor Jones, you would not call someone Teacher Smith. "

"My wife teaches in a state primary school in South Australia.
The children address the teachers as Mr/Mrs/Ms Jones, or sometimes as Mr/Mrs/Ms J.

My own children attended Catholic private schools.
The teachers who were members of religious orders were addressed as Sister Mary, Brother Jones, Father Smith.
The other teachers were addressed as Mr/Mrs/Ms Jones.
The male teachers could also be addressed as �Sir�.
Non-religious staff members who had doctorate degrees were addressed as Dr Smith, but not as simply �Doctor�.

There are some schools where the kids address the teachers by their first names, but - I may sound snobby here - but no quality school would allow or encourage such a lack of respect. "

"In English schools the generic terms are Sir and Miss (which suggests something about gender differences to me, but that is another story!)

I teach 16-18 years olds who have been told to call me "Susan" but I still get "Miss" called out in class to attract my attention ... even if I see them in town they will say "Hiya Miss" and I have heard male staff habitually greeted "Hiya Sir"

Most teachers in junior and high schools encourage youngsters to use their full name and title (Mr Jones, or Mrs Smith) with variable success rates! Married women in particular can get cross at being called just "Miss." but kids still do it. "

"One of the first things teachers do is to write their names on the blackboard --Mr. Lewis, Mrs. Grometer --and that is how you address them. I grew up in rural America and I have never heard a teacher addressed as "Teacher." Just as you would never say, "Excuse me, Lawyer, I need to speak with you," or "Hello, Engineer, how are you today."

7 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hi there,

I wouldn�t say it�s "pejorative"... although, many natives might find it rude or like me when I started teaching...it was just weird. It�s like calling a cat - "Cat" ... what I found was actually more of a culture shock was to be addressed by my first name. To me. it was a sign of disrespect but as time went by, I got used to it and now it doesn�t bother me as much. 

7 Jan 2009     

donapeter
Romania

"Excuse me, Lawyer, I need to speak with you," or "Hello, Engineer, how are you today." TongueLOLLOL

7 Jan 2009     

alex1968
Greece

In Greece most kids call us "Kiria" which means "Mrs"
or Miss + first name (in English)
although YLs for some reason often call me "teacher" which sounded strange at first-I still joke and laugh about this but when translated into Greek it�s respectful.

7 Jan 2009     

gilorit
Israel

My students usually call me by my first name "Orit". The shy ones call me teacher.
Orit

7 Jan 2009     

eng789
Israel

They call me by my first name and I could be their grandmother.

7 Jan 2009     

ameliarator
United States

I was also surprised at being called "Teacher" - it sounds very strange to me! �Where I lived (in the US- Boston area) children call their teachers "Mr./Ms." and their last name. �We don�t usually use "miss/Mrs." with female teachers, but that may just be this region.
College students call their professors "Professor" and their last name or "Dr." and their last name, if the teacher has expressed a preference for using their official title.

One other interesting point is that it is very uncommon (in my experience) for adults to use "Ms./Mr./Mrs." and a first name. �Some teachers of very young children do this. �Many of my older students want to use this form, but I try to discourage it as much as possible.

7 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

hahaha.... "the shiny ones" call you teacher! LOL I laughed so hard when I saw that one... so true though. Wink

7 Jan 2009     

joebcn
Andorra

Hi everybody,
this is my first time in the forum... so a big Clap"THANKS" to EVERYBODY for your comments and help.
I�m addicted to this website now; thanks Victor for your work.

In Spain ,students usually say "profe" (which sounds rellay poor) or just call your first name. At least they call me Joe (my nickname since I started learning English long ago), not my Catalan name.
There is a big controversy in Spain about the best teaching model and how to make pupils respect their teachers. Maybe calling us by our names is not the best way to gain their respect....
THANKS AGAIN for this wonderful site!!

7 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Hi all,
In Peru we normally call the teachers ��profesor(a)�� (Sp.)

But for English teachers they all say Miss First name e.g. Miss Melissa (for all the female English teachers) and Mister Firstname ( for male English teachers) despite their marital status, Its just how we are accustomed to calling them.

Althought, I�ve xplained my students that Mister and Miss should go with the lastname e.g Miss Moreno  or Mrs. Gutierrez if she is married; the same for men teachers. It�s what I whitnessed when I lived in the US.

And professor is only for University or College teachers.

I also read in a book once that ��Miss. Moreno�� is the correct way to adress the teachers in english speaking countries but it�s hard for me to take my students away from what the majority of students -even teachers- do here in Peru. Embarrassed

They never call the teacher by their first name- no matter how older your students are.

I�ve worked with 26-30-40- even 50 year old students and they all called me ��Miss Melissa��

*students and people in general like the ��Miss firstname �� so much that nowadays students and even parents are calling Miss and Mister even to their teachers of other subjects* LOL

7 Jan 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >