Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > In The Classroom    

In The Classroom

agusjavier
Argentina

Hi, I let my sts call me by cmy first name (Agustina). My teacher udes to tell me that calling our sts by their names stimulates them in their work and improves the relationship in the classroom... We have to live in the 21st century and realize that teachers, students and pearents are all humans beings with no special rank...

7 Jan 2009     

gaby_mn
United States

Hi all, in Mexico, people DO call engineers "engineer" and doctors "doctor" and Lawyers "lawyer" its considered a sign of respect. For example, the housekeeper calls my grandfather: engineer navarro, or just engineer, even though he no longer practices.  Teachers are also named teachers, or Miss. On a funny note, my dad used to teach computers to kindergarten kids and since they had only female teachers, they started calling him Miss Ricardo. Tongue

7 Jan 2009     

fayefaye
Canada

Hi, good morning everybody, now is 4.50 a.m. in Hongkong.

In Hongkong, most students call their female teachers "Miss+last name".  However, for male teachers, they call them "last name+Sir", which is not a proper way of addressing teachers. But they have got so used to it. At first I complained about this and told them that they should either use "Sir" without the last name or "Mr+last name". Since most students in other classes and even other schools do this--"last name+Sir", I give up.

How about students in other Asian countries?

BTW, thank you for the encouraging comments.

Faye

7 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Well, let�s see.

In Japan the students usually call me Bryce Sensei or Harris sensei. In Australia the students would call me Mr Harris or Sir. The senior classes (final year at senior high school)may also call me Bryce.

Because I�m an Assistant English Teacher my role is as much about cultural exchange as teaching, so I encourage the students to use either Bryce or Mr Harris. I don�t mind which one they use as long as they use these rather than �sensei�.

Cheers,
ab

8 Jan 2009     

ximons
Brazil

Hello, everybody. Here in Brazil the students call me Teacher Maria Cristina or Teacher Cris. Young students until 5 years call the teachers by "uncle" .  I teach students from 11 to 17.Sometimes they forgot and call me uncle. I did mind with it, I think the most important thing is respect. If they have respect with me it is okay. Maria Cristina.

8 Jan 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3