Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > ???? TO Olindalima. mmargalef AND isabelzr ????    

???? TO Olindalima. mmargalef AND isabelzr ????

Glamorous
United Arab Emirates

???? TO Olindalima. mmargalef AND isabelzr ????

.TO

Olindalima

mmargalef

isabelzr

MY DAILY ACTIVTIES IS NOT STOLEN FROM Karen AS YOU PEOPLE SAID

I MADE IT BY MSELF

YES, IT�S THE SAME LAYOUT AS KAREN

BUT, I HAVE THESE PICTURES AND I WROTE THESE SENTENCES

AND IF ANY BODY WANT TO PROTECT THEIR WORKS THEY CAN MAKE IT LIKE A PICTURE

AND I WILL DO SO.

27 Sep 2008      

Logos
Malaysia

Forgive me for sounding a little like an officious headmaster, but isn�t all this you stole this, and no I didn�t and I�m going to protect my works all sound like a playground argument amongst 8 year olds.  I assume we are all relatively grown up and have a deal of maturity and responsibility - please leave this petty bickering to the kids.
There is no need to shout so loud in big bold type

As for making your worksheets as a picture - well you are entitled to do that.  But one of the beauties of sharing worksheetes is that they can be adapted to suit individual requirements.

I am not condoning the outright stealing of worksheets, but adapting pictures or text from other material is a sign of versatility.  Very few (and I do not include myself here) are talented enough to create worksheets from nothing.

27 Sep 2008     

domnitza
Romania

Hi, Glamorous

since everybody has the right to their own opinion, here is mine: although the two pictures have the same images (there are more in your worksheet) --- taken, I suppose from fotosearch, I do not think that they are similar. In fact, yours is very simple, students have just to label the pictures, Karen�s has two tasks, fill in and matching.
So....Confused I am a little confused. I think we all forget why we are here. What is the purpose of this site? I would choose I verb I like a lot: TO SHARE. Here is a question for all of you reading this post: What are you sharing today?

27 Sep 2008     

savina noronha
India

Even I use fotosearch. Incientally Karen Martinez has used the same or similar pictures in one of her worksheet that i have used in my Present Perfect Tense worksheet. by no means did i say she stole them!!!! thats HER worrsheet that SHE has worked hard one. we simply used the same site for pictures. a lot of us are using fotosearch, so its unfair to say that the work is stolen unless the sontent is also the same, which it isnt

27 Sep 2008     

Crespus2006
United States

Savina, I couldn�t agree more w/ u.

27 Sep 2008     

mmargalef
Spain

Glamorous please read my comment on your worksheet:
 I didn t mean you stole it. I said it�s too similar to Karen�s worksheet. You know I ve already downloaded most of your worksheets. I like them a lotThumbs Up. It was just to tell you that you might have problems with this worksheet. YOu know that lately there has been a lot of controversy with stolen printables. Maybe I should have been more explicit. In fact I wanted to send you an email but I couldn�t find your email address anywhere.
Please don t get angry at me Cry
I�m very sorry about the inconvenience I may have caused

27 Sep 2008     

isabelzr
Spain

Dear Glamoruous, if you read my comment, the words stolen were not writing, I said that your wordsheet were similar that the Karen�s worksheet. I downloaded it  and the picture are the same and the sentences too, in difefferent order, of course. I don�t doubt of your words but in Spain  people say " white and in a bottle, what is it? "
 You say that if any body want to  protect their works can make it like  a picture, as you will do, but Karen won�t do, and I think that people can be more honest and then nobody need to protect their works.
  Sorry if my words hurt your feeling.

27 Sep 2008     

Glamorous
United Arab Emirates

TO LOGOS

IF YOU WERE IN MY PLACE

AM SURE THAT YOU WILL GET ANGRY

BECAUSE SOMEONE SAID THAT YOUR WORKSHEET WHICH YOU SPENT TIME AND EFFORT ON MAKING IT

IS STOLEN FROM SOMEONE

Stern Smile

27 Sep 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I agree with Logos enough is enough - I much prefer seeing positive comments on the website. If you see something stolen - just report it.  Victor can decide if it is stolen - then he doesn�t accredit the points and the persons account gets cancelled - I thought this forum was for the exchange of teaching ideas and nice comments.  It has been getting pretty ugly lately.Cry It makes me very sad and disappointed to see teachers sniping at each other.

27 Sep 2008     

karen1980
Mexico

In one of my newest wss a collegue from Argentina asked me about the clipart... because she wanted to make an activity using them..I said...OF COURSE...( I have to say that I dont own the clipart I use...its public) and today her wss appeared ...I share not only the wss also the clipart thats why you can modify and move the pics (I use word)so Glamorous please...Dont get upset...I like your wss ...I have a lot of them because I like your style ...It works with my ss...Its just that these days..have been difficult...please...nobody wants to hurt your feelings...you are a very active member... could you accept an aplogize...and a hug...and a big big smile???? Im karen fom Mexico...Regards!!!!

27 Sep 2008     

frenchfrog
France

There are 3 quotes I really like/-d:

1)            Logos: �Very few (and I do not include myself here) are talented enough to create worksheets from nothing.� This reassures me a little because this morning I received a comment on one of my worksheets from a French fellow teacher. I made this worksheet last April. I did not mention where I got the idea at that time. You have noticed since that I am more careful about my work. If I say it was not my idea in the first place, well, it was not my idea!!  I confess I brought very little to the whole document (I basically redesigned the document, but I, in no way scanned it!). The irony is I got this comment from this French fellow teacher who uploaded a worksheet for today, using� scanned pictures from a French schoolbook!!! So please, I think many of us know the following proverb: �clean one�s own back yard�. I try to be very careful when I criticize someone because I know I too may be doing something wrong (and believe me, I am, we ALL are, see the end of the message)

2)            Vickiii: I loved the image she used about whether it was right to steal her neighbour�s car!!! I think we should always ask for the permission. The images we use do not belong to US!!! Only Makigi can be proud of the pictures she has drawn HERSELF. Another thing: once I tried to do things properly. I wrote a mail to a site asking them if I could use their documents. Well, I am still waiting for the answer...

3)            Sylvie (stexstme): her example of the Versailles gardener made me laugh a lot. I started to contribute to eslprintables by uploading some worksheets that were close imitations of some other works, sometimes I had brought more important changes / improvements. Then I began to have my own style. But even today, some of my ideas (note the �some�, which means that some ideas are also really mine!!!) come from somewhere. As Logos wrote, very few ideas are �brand new�.

I think all our wars / conflicts / tensions / disagreements come from our use of pictures. I think it is really important to clarify the situation:

1) using a picture is not an innocent act!

2) I am always a little surprised (but don�t be angry, I did the same, am still doing it, will sadly continue doing it�) to see what we say to new members about how to find cliparts. It is basically this: well, type a keyword in the Google Image Search bar and take any picture you want!! It is magic!! Well, it is magic but is it right? I don�t think so because there are � copyrights most of the time. But, on the other hand, we badly need pictures: it is the best way to avoid using our mother tongue!

3) To those who gave the links to clipart.com and fotosearch.com (I am also part of this group!): congratulations! Not only are you devoting your precious time to make worksheets but you are also sacrificing some of your purchasing power (very hot issue right now in France!). Because, surely you have subscribed to use these pictures (Clipart.com: 1 week = $14.95, 1 month = $34.95, 3 months = $59.95, 6 months = $109.95, 1 year = $159.95 / fotosearch.com : you can choose the option �Royalty free� but if you click on a picture, a price appears!!! Very confusing)...

4) to those who will say �Well, I take my pictures from free clipart sites!�: they are not �that free�. Read carefully those very small lines at the bottom. Usually they say something like �Please give the link to our site� (Do many of us do it? No.) or �for personal use only� (I don�t think using them in a classroom is considered as �personal use��) This is one of the reasons why I could not publish my work (some of you suggested it to me). If I go and see a publisher with my worksheets, the first thing he is going to tell me is: �Where does this picture come from? And this one? And this one? �� I know that for each of my Lessons, I should write "Picture... on page 1 was taken from ..., Picture ... on page 2 was taken from ...).

4) By the way, it is the same thing for songs and movies. I am sure you all know we are normally not allowed to listen to music or watch DVDs in our classroom (unless you�ve asked for the permission to do so, of course! Do you always ask the permission? Let me guess the answer: is it a NO?). But the thing is how can you open up to a foreign culture if you do not study its literature, its music, its films, etc.? So we all do it ...

So basically, I think there needs to be a tacit understanding. We also need to be very cautious before we accuse someone. Cleaning our own back yard first is vital.

One last thing, I am very likely to remove this post later on. I am sure you�ll see how embarrassing it is for all of us.

Frenchfrog

27 Sep 2008     

1    2    Next >